News   Apr 18, 2024
 223     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 394     0 

TTC: Automatic Train Control and Subway Platform Screen Doors

This is just my personal experience but I don’t see ATC affecting anything (other than cost) until they can have better operating procedures. For the last two weeks, when I commute into the office on Thursday (only day I commute), the train has been delayed for over 20 minutes due to “security incident”, ”medical emergency”, and “mechanical issues”. And the other times I’ve taken transit about half the time there’s an announcement about an outage somewhere on the line, even if it’s not the stations I’m travelling to. I understand emergencies happen but I refuse to believe people don’t have medical emergencies in Europe or East Asia. There has to be more priority placed on the speed of the service when they’re dealing with outages to get the trains moving instead of one emergency alarm holding up 5 trains.

We should remember that with human control, the trains could exceed the speed limit on a regular basis. With ATC, the trains will accelerate up to the speed limit, and no more. Suspect that where the trains are running downhill, the ATC will nudge the brakes to slow down to the speed limit.

We should remember that with human control, the trains could exceed the speed limit on a regular basis. With ATC, the trains will accelerate up to the speed limit, and no more. Suspect that where the trains are running downhill, the ATC will nudge the brakes to slow down to the speed limit.

On downhill sections of track there were timed blocks which are designed to prevent humans from going over the speed limit. The signal would show red with a flashing white light. If the train approached at the correct speed, the signal would turn green or yellow before the train actually reached the signal. If the train was speeding, it would cross the signal while still flashing white causing the e-brake to activate.

Subway drivers used to drive trains at a speed where they would cross the signal at the perfect timing such that they never actually saw the signal turn green/yellow. After the Russel Hill accident, the policy was changed that the drivers need to see the signal change to green/yellow.

I've lost track of the status of ATC for Line 2.

I noticed that this weekend's closure from Victoria Park to Kennedy is for "signal upgrades". Are they actually starting ATC - I don't recall it being tendered?

Or is this just maintenance?

Project cashflows as per TTC 10-year capital plan 2023-2032:

1685697150968.png

I think now that Line 1 is full ATC, Platform screen doors should be installed like the elevator renovation project on all other stations. Just keep adding more every couple of years.

I like how Tokyo can update their old stations to be quite modern and we just leave them antiquated.

1280px-College_Platform_01.jpg
1280px-Tokyo-Metro_Otemachi-STA_Platform1.jpg

College Station (1954) vs Ōtemachi Station (Marunouchi Line - 1956)

Most of their 1930s stations also have PSDs. Actually, with how modern the subway is... it's really strange to see the odd one that is still in a poor state:

1280px-Kyobashi_Station-1.jpg

I like how Tokyo can update their old stations to be quite modern and we just leave them antiquated.

1280px-College_Platform_01.jpg
1280px-Tokyo-Metro_Otemachi-STA_Platform1.jpg

College Station (1954) vs Ōtemachi Station (Marunouchi Line - 1956)

Yes College Station needs work......but...

You do realize that's not at all how it looked in 1954.

Here's what College Station looked like in 1954:

1685728992852.png

The current station finishes date from the mid 80s

So its not as if the station has had no reno's.

The current station has the modern fare gates, and is currently getting a new second exit and elevators.

To be clear, I would like to see PSDs rolled out as soon as possible; and new info screens on platforms and yes, renovations for entirely aesthetic reasons too.

I'm happy to bury our politicians for under investing in SOGR and renewed finishes of quality.

I just think we need not exaggerate.

A link to a photo of an archival Toronto Star story on the 3.4M reno that gave the station its current look from 1982:

Attachments

• 1685728859935.png
    1685728859935.png
    797.2 KB · Views: 44
Yes College Station needs work......but...

You do realize that's not at all how it looked in 1954.

Here's what College Station looked like in 1954:

View attachment 482391

The current station finishes date from the mid 80s

So its not as if the station has had no reno's.

The current station has the modern fare gates, and is currently getting a new second exit and elevators.

To be clear, I would like to see PSDs rolled out as soon as possible; and new info screens on platforms and yes, renovations for entirely aesthetic reasons too.

I'm happy to bury our politicians for under investing in SOGR and renewed finishes of quality.

I just think we need not exaggerate.

A link to a photo of an archival Toronto Star story on the 3.4M reno that gave the station its current look from 1982:

I just picked College at random. :p I don't think it matters whether there is a 1980s reno or not. (1982 was 40 years ago also, the reno was 28 years after it opened so like, yes it needs to be updated again!) All I am trying to demonstrate is that Tokyo keeps its similarly aged stations way more up-to-date. I don't know how to research Japanese stations but I'm only assuming this one did not go right from the original 1956 design to this.

I just picked College at random. :p I don't think it matters whether there is a 1980s reno or not. (1982 was 40 years ago also, the reno was 28 years after it opened so like, yes it needs to be updated again!)

The Japanese station you chose, is the second busiest station in Tokyo, and has had 3 entirely new lines added to it since 1956. Toronto's busiest stations have also had major upgrades since 1954. Look at the recent upgrade at Union. And look at the Bloor-Yonge which had big upgrades in 1966, 1992, and the $1.5 billion project currently underway.

Are you aware that construction is underway at College Station - that's what the huge trench on Yonge Street next to College Park is for.

The Japanese station you chose, is the second busiest station in Tokyo, and has had 3 entirely new lines added to it since 1956. Toronto's busiest stations have also had major upgrades since 1954. Look at the recent upgrade at Union. And look at the Bloor-Yonge which had big upgrades in 1966, 1992, and the $1.5 billion project currently underway.

Are you aware that construction is underway at College Station - that's what the huge trench on Yonge Street next to College Park is for.

Once again, I picked stations at random.

Every single station on the Marunouchi Line has PSDs. Will the renovation add PSDs? Why is this relevant to what I'm saying?

Back