News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 616     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: Automatic Train Control and Subway Platform Screen Doors

Once again, I picked stations at random.
Similar is true of all our indoor mid-1950s stations.

Though I'm not sure if PSDs themselves are relevant - you were talking about about stations looking modern, rather than PEDs. Stations elsewhere with 1960s PSDs don't look modern. Many modern looking stations don't have PEDs.

Toronto is so late to the PSD game, because it's so late to the ATC game - about half-a-century behind Montreal.

Similar is true of all our indoor mid-1950s stations.

Though I'm not sure if PSDs themselves are relevant - you were talking about about stations looking modern, rather than PEDs. Stations elsewhere with 1960s PSDs don't look modern. Many modern looking stations don't have PEDs.

Toronto is so late to the PSD game, because it's so late to the ATC game - about half-a-century behind Montreal.

No I mean I also picked random for the Tokyo station. Funny how it's the second busiest! But yeah, a couple of 1960s stations on the line are among the least busy and they also have PSDs. That's all I really want I guess. :p

I know UP Express has platform screen doors so does it have partial automated train control or is this linkage between ATC and PSD not so absolute.

Manually driven and they're not exactly quick coming into a station.

Jubilee line was also manually driven with platform screen doors on 8 stations for a long time as the train automation project was well behind schedule. When it was automated, they were able to cut 10 minutes off the time through that section of the line, nearly all of it from stopping at the doors.

The UP Expression runs much less frequently than the subway, so they can make adjustments to their stopping position without slowing down the line.
Also only at 2 termini.

And if they do miss, the driver only has to walk 2-3 cars to fix, rather than the 13 cars when a GO Train overshoots.

I know UP Express has platform screen doors so does it have partial automated train control or is this linkage between ATC and PSD not so absolute.
the linkage is completely made up. Both the Seoul subway and the Taipei Metro have lines with PSDs that are running fixed block signals. And no they don’t miss the doors every few stop or take 5 minutes to stop the train.

the linkage is completely made up. Both the Seoul subway and the Taipei Metro have lines with PSDs that are running fixed block signals. And no they don’t miss the doors every few stop or take 5 minutes to stop the train.
Just for one station they can build the PSD's and line up the trains manually until ATC is operational.

Good to bring up these examples! I know there are a lot of places in Asia that have put in PSDs while still maintaining manual train operation. I think their operator training is just more stringent on stopping positions because it's very efficient.

I see the reasoning behind PSD but I must admit that for older stations, I think the higher priority should be to make them 100% accessible.

As for the PSD themselves, I don't like the ones like the UPX. I find the wall to ceiling ones very claustrophobic . I vastly prefer the ones that are about 2 meters high. They provide all the same benefits but I don't feel like a mouse in a cage waiting for the trap door to open.

Good to bring up these examples! I know there are a lot of places in Asia that have put in PSDs while still maintaining manual train operation. I think their operator training is just more stringent on stopping positions because it's very efficient.
There is also New York with its gap fillers at 14th Street - Union Square.

I see the reasoning behind PSD but I must admit that for older stations, I think the higher priority should be to make them 100% accessible.

All stations will have elevators in place by the end of 2025, and work is underway underway at all but one, and just tendered for the last.

Just for one station they can build the PSD's and line up the trains manually until ATC is operational.
The TTC is the organization i'd trust the least with being able to do anything like this without having daily operational screw ups.

ATC is a definite requirement before they start operating PSDs anywhere regularly.

Back