News   Jul 04, 2024
 446     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 524     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 556     1 

TTC: Automatic Train Control and Subway Platform Screen Doors

What's it going to do to the asthetics of the stations? I can't imagine it being an improvement.
Aesthetics is a matter of taste, but I think few people will find this:
3193285005_53c1497810.jpg

any less aesthetically pleasing than this:
139500548_b1bd549097.jpg

Let's stick to what we have:

4466623906_155b0f44fe.jpg

Rather than anything different:

4465848919_d7299f9869.jpg

4465849227_9140d0cddb.jpg

That having been said, as already stated, we won't get anything this tasteful.

You're right, lets pick the worst looking stations and use them as the case for the whole systems asthetics.
While I disagree with using that leaking B/Y station as a comparison, how is the picture of Wellesley even in poor condition, let alone "worst-looking"?

In fact, I would say that the two stations I chose (MTR's Fortress Hill and TTC's Wellesley) are very typical representations of the two system's general aesthetic style and choices.

Last edited:
You're right, lets pick the worst looking stations and use them as the case for the whole systems asthetics.

Yes Im really sure the rest of the system is delight to behold and would be aesthetically devastated by having sliding barriers. And following from that, let's do nothing anywhere because everything is just fine. Ahhhh Toronto.

Is this really necessary? Really, we have stations falling apart, vechicles falling apart, cancelled or should I say, shelved transit lines and yet someone thinks it makes sense to spend what amounts to hundreds of millions of dollars to prevent a few deaths. Priorities are completely out of wack here.
This. $10m/station could be used for things that are much more important right now. Besides, if someone wants to commit suicide, they WILL FIND A WAY. Having one subway line with barriers isn't going to do anything - maybe they'll delay the Bloor line instead.

When I first heard that the TTC was going to install these barriers, my jaw dropped.

Do you understand the disruption a suicide on the subway can cause? It could prevent 500,000 people from getting home in the evening.

While I disagree with using that leaking B/Y station as a comparison, how is the picture of Wellesley even in poor condition, let alone "worst-looking"?

In fact, I would say that the two stations I chose (MTR's Fortress Hill and TTC's Wellesley) are very typical representations of the two system's general aesthetic style and choices.
Were you trying to make a point? I think Wellesley station is nicer than the claustrophobia inducing MTR station shown.

Do you understand the disruption a suicide on the subway can cause? It could prevent 500,000 people from getting home in the evening.

And it can spoil the whole day for the suicidee.

In most places the barriers - assuming they are of the platform to roof sliding variety - allow for air conditioning of platforms in summer and heating in winter without pouring most of the cool/warm air into the bottomless pit that is the tunnel. In fact, in most places I suspect this is the main reason for them, not for the prevention of the odd jumper.

Besides, if someone wants to commit suicide, they WILL FIND A WAY. Having one subway line with barriers isn't going to do anything - maybe they'll delay the Bloor line instead.
With all the information that has been published of late, that makes it clear that suicide is opportunistic, and that removing the opportunities for suicide does actually reduce the suicide rate, why do you make such false claims? I'm completely shocked!

Never going to happen. They can't even keep their bus bay's warm in the winter, let alone some of these stations.

Just making it so that the ambient heat doesn't get blown out of the station each time a train pulls in will make things more comfortable in winter. Though I wonder how hot things could get in summer without that same piston effect.

A large part of the cost of the doors is improved ventilation that will be required so that the piston effect doesn't simply blow out the new doors. Here's a photo of an air-escape tunnel from the Jubilee Line Extension:

A015-00387_Ventilation_and_escape_tunnel_on_the_Jubilee_Line_of_the_London_Underground_United_Kingdom_.jpg

Were you trying to make a point? I think Wellesley station is nicer than the claustrophobia inducing MTR station shown.
Part of it is due to the trick of the photography/photoshoppery. The platform area at Fortress Hill is longer, higher-ceiling, and slightly deeper than Wellesley's. It's also brighter in real life, and the glass on the PSD is not nearly as reflective and one can clearly see through into the track area (they have ads and TV screens along the tunnel wall, so the PSD obviously can't be a completely reflective wall as that photo seems to show). But unless either of us are clinically claustrophobic/agoraphobic, neither of what we say is relevant to whether it's actually "claustrophia-inducing", but merely an opinion based on our taste.

My point was/is that aesthetics is subjective (duh), as you have just demonstrated. I, for one, do not find that station "claustrophobia-inducing", having used it 100s of times; you do. But I am willing to bet money that if we do a survey of people who have used both stations, the majority will not find Fortress Hill to be any less aesthetically pleasing than Wellesley.

Anyway, this getting off topic, as my point was not to argue whether the aesthetics of MTR stations is "nicer" than TTC stations. If anything, having used MTR both before and after they installed PSDs, I would say that (to me) the PSDs improved the station aesthetics.

Last edited:
Likely Toronto won't build full height or non-porous screens so they don't have to build extra unneeded vent shafts. Adding the vents would probably count as a big enough change that extra fire escapes would need to be added as well at ruinous expense due to the line not being grandfathered anymore. .

I don't quite understand how the TSSA can allow a non-barriered subway line to exist. This agency is cherry-picking every other industry with some of the strictest safety standards in the world.

Back