News   Apr 25, 2024
 612     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 514     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 758     0 

Trinity-Spadina by-election

That article certainly sounds more self-aware than the Marchese G&M article from earlier

... a fact that the Cressy campaign has made a prominent note of on its Facebook feed. I wouldn't normally say this sort of thing matters (apart from looking bad), but lesser stories have had legs. I also don't think there are many other ridings in Canada as in love with its social media as Trinity--Spadina.

Vaughan ducking out leaves a rather bad taste in the mouth.

Green candidate Labchuk jumped on this on twitter also. Speaking of Labchuk she was on LeDrew in CP24 recently, I was impressed.

It obviously tough for her against superstar Vaughan and heavily established NDP Cressy but I will consider voting for her. I like that she doesn't come off as "being groomed for politics since birth" feeling I get from Cressy. She is a lawyer for animals, which is pretty cool. But I have to admit that thought of an episode of Night Court when Dan Fielding got demoted to animal court went through my mind.

The provincial election was a simple one for me, I liked Han and the Liberals early for many reason. But this federal election I like Labchuk freshness and background. I admire Vaughan never afraid to stand up on speak loud and smartly on issue in CH and I respect Mulcair with his solid and hard hitting questions in Question Period (BTW I would love to see Mulcair question Ford for ten minutes, he would break him haha)

A response from a community activist in Trinity Spadina regarding Vaughan missing the debate, that I completely agree with:

Ceta Ramkhalawansingh
The controversy “manufactured” by the Greens and the NDP on attendance by the Liberals at a TrinSpa debate is confusing. I’d like to think of myself as connected and knowledgeable yet I – like many of my neighbours – did not know such a debate was scheduled. Emails have been circulating among us about this.

Some concluded that this was a “set up” as there is no real issue about how progressive the Liberal Candidate Adam Vaughan is. In fact while on City Council, he was one of the most progressive councillors and initiated many ground-breaking policies. His track record of being a community builder is right up there among the top ten – with people like Dan Leckie, Cressy’s parents, and Adam’s parents.

I hesitate to jump into this fray because Cressy’s parents are long-time friends and Adam is a very close friend, and I certainly counted his father, Colin, as a friend too.

The lazy journalists who have repeated this story have not bothered to get into the arrangements for the debate. They have not bothered to explain or to help understand why this is an issue for Trinity Spadina. Is it just that there’s really nothing to pin on Adam so they’d pick on non-attendance at a non-advertised event.

And so, if I were the NDP I’d worry that giving this focus to the pipeline would actually drive people to the Greens. In this election, I am voting for a proven track record rather than potential.

Next time, Joe. This time, Adam.

I'll end by saying I was invited for pizza and door knocking with Adam and the team, and saw this call for help long before I saw anything about the debate taking place. To say that Adam skipped the debate because he was afraid of confronting the issues of pipelines is nothing but a lie from the NDP, since it is the only negative thing they can pin on Adam. Adam knocked on more doors than the number of people who attended the debate, and got to communicate with far more people than he would have at the debate, since no one even knew the debate was even happening.

Last edited:
That coming from Ceta just spells how much trouble the NDP is in.

AoD

Bingo! The NDP is out of touch with its core supporters, and losing more and more every day with their tactics. Dean Maher, President of the CityPlace Residents' Association (NDP member, and ran for the Toronto Centre nomination) has also come out in support of Adam due to infighting in the NDP group. He also supported Han Dong in the Provincial election last week.

When you are losing such high profile members like these, who do more work in the community than the party itself, there is a serious problem. Support will continue to bleed until the NDP can fix their issues and bring their core supporters back. Until that happens, these supporters will continue to bring their own supporters over to the Liberal side.

Bingo! The NDP is out of touch with its core supporters, and losing more and more every day with their tactics. Dean Maher, President of the CityPlace Residents' Association (NDP member, and ran for the Toronto Centre nomination) has also come out in support of Adam due to infighting in the NDP group. He also supported Han Dong in the Provincial election last week.

When you are losing such high profile members like these, who do more work in the community than the party itself, there is a serious problem. Support will continue to bleed until the NDP can fix their issues and bring their core supporters back. Until that happens, these supporters will continue to bring their own supporters over to the Liberal side.

Yeah given these are the very individuals whom Vaughan had cultivated a working relationship with, vis-a-vis the whole host of development projects in his ward back when he was a city councillor. He is probably going to sweep the riding.

AoD

Last edited:
Voted at the Advance Polls an hour ago. An absolute shit-show. A 45 minute wait and people in the lineup giving up in frustration and leaving. And this in supposedly educated, civic-minded Seaton Village. I can only imagine how abysmal the turnout will be next Monday between the weekend and Canada Day.

Voted at the Advance Polls an hour ago. An absolute shit-show. A 45 minute wait and people in the lineup giving up in frustration and leaving. And this in supposedly educated, civic-minded Seaton Village. I can only imagine how abysmal the turnout will be next Monday between the weekend and Canada Day.

That's pretty shocking - was it a particularly large turnout?

AoD

I think it's one of five advance polls in the riding open today, tomorrow and Monday. I'd say about 25 voters went through in the span of 45 minutes. Another four or five left the line in frustration.

The NDP and Liberals are really pushing the advanced vote hard in anticipation of people being out of town on Canada Day weekend. Based on the number of leaflets left at my door telling me where to vote you would think the actual election day is this weekend.

A response from a community activist in Trinity Spadina regarding Vaughan missing the debate, that I completely agree with:

I'll end by saying I was invited for pizza and door knocking with Adam and the team, and saw this call for help long before I saw anything about the debate taking place. To say that Adam skipped the debate because he was afraid of confronting the issues of pipelines is nothing but a lie from the NDP, since it is the only negative thing they can pin on Adam. Adam knocked on more doors than the number of people who attended the debate, and got to communicate with far more people than he would have at the debate, since no one even knew the debate was even happening.

Well that complicates things, doesn't it?

Vaughan is likely to get over 50%, maybe even 60%. The only question is will Cressy receive a higher or lower vote share than the 30% Marchese received last week.

I don't like Trudeau's pro-Keystone stance, but the NDP in Trinity-Spadina has gotten really and complicit, and Vaughan is likely to accomplish more in terms of an agenda for cities and housing. Cressy is loved by the NDP hacks but he's a complete nobody outside the party. And yes his appeal - "let's keep Olivia Chow's riding in safe NDP hands" - isn't going to cut it.

Unofficial poll-by-poll results are out.

Here's a breakdown by the city's "demographic" neighborhoods:

Dovercourt (pt.): NDP 45.3%, Liberals 38.4%, Greens 7.2%, PCs 6.4%
Annex: Liberals 47.3%, NDP 28.5%, PCs 11.6%, Greens 9.4%
Palmerston (pt.): NDP 42.7%, Liberals 39.6%, Greens 8.6%, PCs 7%
University: Liberals 43.4%, NDP 31.9%, Greens 13.8%, PCs 8.8%
Trinity Bellwoods: Liberals 45.8%, NDP 37.3%, PCs 7.9%, Greens 6.9%
Kensington-Chinatown: Liberals 47.5%, NDP 33%, PCs 9.8%, Greens 6.8%
Bay Street Corridor (pt.): Liberals 52.3%, NDP 20.9%, PCs 20.2%, Greens 4.1%
Waterfront and the Island (pt.): Liberals 46.9%, PCs 24%, NDP 22.4%, Greens 4.8%
Niagara: Liberals 48.1%, NDP 31.2%, PCs 15.3%, Greens 5.3%

Marchese's vote really evaporated in and around the Annex, as did his Chinese vote (there was a bigger turnout in the Chinese community this time who came out in large numbers to vote for Han Dong) and Marchese came in third in the condos. Marchese won a bunch of polls around Christie Pits (though his best poll was Toronto Island), the PCs did best in the condos and Tim Grant of the Greens did best in Harbord Village (he served as chair of the HVRA) and the Annex.

Last edited:
Trinity-Spadina NDP candidate Joe Cressy’s team is working hard to replace 900 campaign signs that have gone missing or have been damaged since early June.

Bruce Cox, Cressy’s campaign manager, said Cressy’s team filed a report with Toronto police on June 15 after realizing that about one third of the candidate’s more than 3,000 lawn signs had either disappeared or were destroyed.

“This is really unprecedented. This is targeted. We have streets where we don’t have a sign left standing, or we have one or two and nobody else’s signs appear touched,” Cox said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201..._missing_damaged_signs_to_toronto_police.html

Did anyone attend the all-candidates' debate tonight? I usually don't find them very interesting because they're usually about 90% stacked with partisans cheering for their candidate.

Did anyone attend the all-candidates' debate tonight? I usually don't find them very interesting because they're usually about 90% stacked with partisans cheering for their candidate.
Yes, that's my experience with all-candidates debates, unfortunately. According to an Ottawa Citizen reporter Vaughan snubbed Cressy when he tried to shake his hand.

You know what I first think of when I hear signs of a political candidate/party are vandalized?

The same party did it in hopes of drumming up support from sympathetic voters.

I'm NOT saying that's what's going on here, I'm just ... talking shit.

Back