News   Apr 19, 2024
 408     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.3K     2 

Trinity-Spadina by-election

I thought that when you apply for appointment you agree to not run in the same ward

Yeah I meant if she would run municipally

Legally though, I don't think there's anything stopping them from running, besides some backlash for breaking their word.

Yeah it's one of those many "unwritten" rules we have at CH that many just ignore because there's no actual rule behind it.

Lots of things would be different if Jack Layton were still around. For starters, Vaughan would be in all likelihood be running NDP (and not in Chow's riding).

I couldn't see Vaughan running for the NDP under any circumstances. He and the NDP hate each other for non-ideological reasons.

They do?

Vaughan has appealed to card-carrying members of the ONDP/NDP on the municipal scene for years.

He may appeal to the same voters, but he has consistently opposed the Chow-Layton "political machine" (very loose quotations there). He ran against and defeated Chow's chosen successor (Helen Kennedy) in 2006. Then he supported Mike Layton's main opponent (Karen Sun) in 2010. Finally, he ran once again against another of Chow's chosen successors (Joe Cressy).

He also pretty regularly takes digs at Chow and her allies. All of this leads me to believe that Vaughan would have actually been even LESS likely to join the NDP if Layton was still the leader.

He may appeal to the same voters, but he has consistently opposed the Chow-Layton "political machine" (very loose quotations there). He ran against and defeated Chow's chosen successor (Helen Kennedy) in 2006. Then he supported Mike Layton's main opponent (Karen Sun) in 2010. Finally, he ran once again against another of Chow's chosen successors (Joe Cressy).

He also pretty regularly takes digs at Chow and her allies. All of this leads me to believe that Vaughan would have actually been even LESS likely to join the NDP if Layton was still the leader.

I heard that Chow and Jack Layton's relationship with Vaughan was rather frosty, but that he has had a good working relationship with Rosario Marchese and Mike Layton. Also, for what it's worth, I was digging through Adam Vaughan's 2010 election donor list and Chow donated $100.

Last edited:

Back