News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 430     0 

Trinity-Spadina by-election

King of Kensington

Member Bio
Reaction score
Adam Vaughan running for the Liberals...wow! He should almost certainly take this one. Just a few days ago this looked like a slam-dunk for the NDP.

According to the Forum poll, Vaughan leads 52-31 if he is the candidate for the Liberals.

Otherwise Cressy takes it with about 45-46%. About 1/3 of NDP supporters are "Adam Vaughan New Democrats."

The big thing is that Vaughan needs to get alot of memberships to win the Liberal nomination in a small amount of time. They need a lot of volunteers put to good use in a really small amount of time. Still, the 491 Dundas St W office was pretty active today.

He probably thinks a much better chance to Govern under the Liberal banner than he does with the NDP as not sure if NDP has what it takes to take first place nationally.

Yup. The Liberals have always been able to pry progressives for that reason, i.e. we can win, and the NDP can't.

The nomination battle may very be more dramatic than the by-election itself. Between 1988 and 2011, the Liberal candidate was always Tony Ianno or Christine Innes. How many Ianno/Innes loyalists are there among the T-S Liberal membership, how many will nonetheless back Vaughan as the only one who can win, and how many can Vaughan sign up in a short amount of time?

Vaughan has said he won't enter the council race if he doesn't win the nomination, but I wonder ... would he step away from politics? would he wait for the provincial election -- in which case he'd either have to challenge Marchese or run for the liberals provincially.

Marchese and Vaughan have a very good working relationship, so I think he'd wait until 2015 federal in the new Fort York riding. The Libs also already have a candidate in place provincially in Trinity-Spadina.

Though in a way Vaughan strikes me more as a "Kathleen Wynne Liberal" than a "Justin Trudeau Liberal."

Last edited:
Wonder if this thread belongs more in "Toronto Issues", since it *is* more of a Toronto-centric topic (even if it involves Ottawa)

Back