News   Sep 03, 2024
 423     0 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 425     0 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 417     1 

Trinity Bellwoods Park to face alcohol crackdown

She is more likely to step in dog feces. How about all that poo that gets left behind!
Hate that too.

I noticed that in downtown and near-downtown parks, it's much, much worse than it used to be just 10 years ago. I assume it is because of all the new condo dwellers. That really is irritating, and is also a health hazard.

The most striking example in my experience though are the sidewalks in/near Liberty Village. Poo used to be almost non-existent. Now after the spring thaw, dog poo is everywhere.

Hate that too.

I noticed that in downtown and near-downtown parks, it's much, much worse than it used to be just 10 years ago. I assume it is because of all the new condo dwellers. That really is irritating, and is also a health hazard.

The most striking example in my experience though are the sidewalks in/near Liberty Village. Poo used to be almost non-existent. Now after the spring thaw, dog poo is everywhere.

The Spanish seem to have found an interesting solution to this problem: http://torontoist.com/2013/06/public-works-a-spanish-town-turns-the-tables-on-dog-poop-non-scoopers/

Meanwhile, out in Scarborough, Ford Fest 2013 will be held in Thompson Park. Along with the free food, attendees will also be able to drink free wine or beer (limit of two drinks per person).

Can't have wine or beer in Trinity Bellwoods Park nor High Park. Guess they are more "mature" in Scarborough.

Wonder if the Councillor for Thompson Park will do the same, as the Councillor for Trinity Bellwoods Park, if some neighbour there complains?

Meanwhile, out in Scarborough, Ford Fest 2013 will be held in Thompson Park. Along with the free food, attendees will also be able to drink free wine or beer (limit of two drinks per person).

Can't have wine or beer in Trinity Bellwoods Park nor High Park. Guess they are more "mature" in Scarborough.

Wonder if the Councillor for Thompson Park will do the same, as the Councillor for Trinity Bellwoods Park, if some neighbour there complains?
Well, AFAIK, you need a permit. (Don't quote me on that though.) So, if they got the permits, that should be fine. This is quite different from just some random people bringing booze into the park.

Well, AFAIK, you need a permit. (Don't quote me on that though.) So, if they got the permits, that should be fine. This is quite different from just some random people bringing booze into the park.

Can I get a permit for one person? Two? A family of four? What number is the minimum? Do I have to put up a CAUTION tape around the perimeter, or would my screen mess picnic shelter be fine? Do I have to hire a security guard to guard against trespassers entering my picnic blanket?

Last edited:
Can I get a permit for one person? Two? A family of four? What number is the minimum? Do I have to put up a CAUTION tape around the perimeter, or would my screen mess picnic shelter be fine? Do I have to hire a security guard to guard against trespassers entering my picnic blanket?
Call 311. All you questions will be answered.

Should people be allowed to drink in Toronto parks?

You can do it in Paris, London, Berlin and even Montreal, but here in stodgy old Toronto, consuming alcohol in public is an offence, albeit one that often gets a blind eye.

On paper, citizens of Hogtown can drink on their porch or balcony. They can drink on a patio. But they can’t drink in a park or on the beach.

As the ranks of downtown condo dwellers swell, and Toronto becomes an increasingly urbanized city where only the lucky few have backyards, there’s a growing sentiment that the simple act of sipping a glass of wine or swigging a beer in public shouldn’t be a criminal offence.
More......http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/07/05/should_people_be_allowed_to_drink_in_toronto_parks.html

The problem is ppl in Toronto don't know how to handle their drink. In Montreal I rarely saw people drinking to the point of public drunkeness. One drink is fine...but it's true I've seen a general decline in the type of people hanging out in TBP--becoming very trashy imo as the cool hipsters migrate more towards Christie Pits, Dufferin Grove, Dovercourt Park and beyond.

You'd probably need two permits. One special events permit from the LCBO (for the booze) and one special events permit from the city (to host it in the park even without the booze).

Personally I wouldn't be opposed to a pilot project involving one of the cities parks to see the short and long-term (so say a year into it) impacts on the park.

The problem is ppl in Toronto don't know how to handle their drink. In Montreal I rarely saw people drinking to the point of public drunkeness. One drink is fine...but it's true I've seen a general decline in the type of people hanging out in TBP--becoming very trashy imo as the cool hipsters migrate more towards Christie Pits, Dufferin Grove, Dovercourt Park and beyond.

I'll never forget my first trip to Europe when I saw a group of teenagers sharing a bottle of wine on the riverside in Bordeaux... and they WEREN'T going crazy. I didn't realize it was possible, but apparently if you trust people to act responsibly, eventually they do. Alcohol restrictions seem to go hand in hand with the cultural belief that the purpose of drinking is to get drunk.

Last time I was in Germany, there were several drunk young adults on the streets. One guy feigned kicking our car too and laughed. And it wasn't even that late - the sun was still out. Our driver told me that it was common to see this in several places in the city. I believe the city I was in had high unemployment though. It was a smaller city with essentially no tourist income most of the time.

Like Europe most of the USA doesn't have Ontario's stone age alcohol restrictions either. I travel a lot to the western NY area and stay at hotels with manager's receptions (happy hour) Which allows the hotel to serve free beer and wine 5:30 to 7:00pm. With the exception of a few drunk Ontarians i have never seen anyone get that drunk at a happy hour. Most people have a few drinks and leave. I think it was Pennsylvania, you could buy cases of beer to go from the bar! You were allowed two 6 packs per customer. Which means we didn't have to guzzle our beer when last call was getting near like we do here in Ontario.

In Toronto i was sitting at a bar waiting for an open spot on the patio, when a spot became available, i was about to take my drink to the patio when bartender told me.. I can't legally carry my drink from the bar to the patio because i have to walk across 3 feet of city sidewalk, I had to get the sever to transport my alcoholic beverage from the bar to the patio. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
In the U.S. you have to be 21 to drink, which is outrageous.

To me this issue is pretty straight forward: let people drink outdoors but penalise drunken rowdy behaviour and drunkenness in general (and enforce it!).

I disagree about the comments that alcohol is better handled in Europe ... as in my experience I've definitely seen some vulgar behavior related to just this.

I suspect its a typical tourist misconception, visit a place a couple times and if your lucky you see nothing of interest and figure that's the way its like 365 days a year. I've been to TBP on plenty occasions where I've seen drinking along side very well mannered behavior, and yes I've seen the opposite as well ..

Back