News   Nov 18, 2019
 387     1 
News   Nov 18, 2019
 480     3 

Transit Glossary

denfromoakvillemilton

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Boston & SF ones aren't even that nice, very boxy design.

The Brussels ones, new Ottawa ones, new Calgary ones, and new Montreal subway trains all look great to me. The Toronto LRVs should look good as well (same as new streetcars).
I think, not sure, the Toronto LRV's looks just like the new street cars I believe. Seems I have taken this thread off track! :D

ehlow

Member Bio
Reaction score
Subway, Metro etc has NOTHING to do with the technology as long as it has rails, it doesn't even have to be electric. Standard heavy rail, monorail, SkyTrain, LRT, EMU, DMU, and even clunky GO train style commuter rail.

If the line is 100% grade separated from one end to the other then it's a subway. If the line can be theoretically automated then it's a "metro".
The Montreal Metro is automated and underground... but it doesn't have rails ;). Same with one or more of the Paris metro lines.

I don't think I've ever heard Vancouver's system called a subway or metro. Similarly, Ottawa's "LRT" is fully grade separated, yet they don't seem to be calling it a subway or metro.

I wonder what Bostonians call the green line, it's on the subway map and is often called "North America's oldest subway".

junctionist

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Montreal Metro is automated and underground... but it doesn't have rails ;). Same with one or more of the Paris metro lines.

I don't think I've ever heard Vancouver's system called a subway or metro. Similarly, Ottawa's "LRT" is fully grade separated, yet they don't seem to be calling it a subway or metro.

I wonder what Bostonians call the green line, it's on the subway map and is often called "North America's oldest subway".

The Montreal Metro has rails and guide bars.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Montreal Metro is automated and underground... but it doesn't have rails ;).
The Metro trains might well have tires. But that doesn't mean the Montreal Metro doesn't have rails. Haven't you ever looked down at the ground in the Metro? Look very carefully, there are rails right next to the guideways for the tires.

ehlow

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Metro trains might well have tires. But that doesn't mean the Montreal Metro doesn't have rails. Haven't you ever looked down at the ground in the Metro? Look very carefully, there are rails right next to the guideways for the tires.
I was wrong. I apologize :)

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The rails are for power distribution and for emergency traction - Metro trains sometimes do get flat tires!
They also get used when a train has to change tracks. I recall back in 1981 when Metro Place St- Henri was the terminus of the orange line, that there was only one track in the station in use, and you could tell from the sound, that the train going through the switches from one track to the other was steel-on-steel.

golodhendil

Member Bio
Reaction score
People call it the T, the same way they call any of the heavy rail lines (basically no Bostonian would use the term "subway"). Officially the main underground portion of the Green Line is the "Central Subway", though the term is really used only in official documents or announcements. When referring to the individual trains, they'd be called either "trains" or "trolleys".

Just a note though, having a line appear on the system map doesn't automatically make it a "subway". The Silver Line ("silver lie") BRT has always been on the map too, and most of it is barely more "rapid transit" than pre-transitway Viva.