News   Apr 22, 2024
 806     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 271     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 683     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I don't think the B-D line has to go from Sherway to Long Branch. The Kipling (or a 427) BRT or LRT would do a good enough job connecting these lines.
Maybe the Waterfront West LRT could be connected to the existing Harborfront LRT and extended as the Queens Quay East.
Perhaps I could extend the Harbourfront Streetcar to the Red Line/Line 3. I completely forgot about QQ east, I probably will add a Parliament streetcar that utilizes QQ east.
Looking at the map again I can see that Line 2 going to Long Branch doesn't make much sense, I initially only mapped that out to create a Line 2 connection to the Lakeshore GO Line.

I've designed a semi-realistic (In a perfect world much of what I've put on the map would be built) transit map for the TTC and GO Rail Transit for the year 2100.
It includes all bus routes (and a separate layer for 10-minute service routes), Express bus routes, streetcar routes (and additional redundant tracks), along with rapid transit. I've added several bus routes that may or may not be viable, now or in the future, I've also made the Eglinton Line a heavy rail subway (converted some time in the future) which might be the most unrealistic aspect of the map.
Here's the full map link here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=102rit15z0zA-pdTOa8wru-GhQPNfOQP5
Rapid Transit Lines (when clicked) show rail gauge, rolling stock info (just the width), and the build dates for the non existing infrastructure (segments of each Subway/LRT route).
Rapid Transit Stations (when clicked) shows whether the station is built underground/at-grade (fully separate or not)/elevated, in case of interchange stations it shows info for the platforms on each line that serves the station.
All bus routes (when clicked) show the end points for all branches of the route (if applicable), streetcar routes do the same.
GO Train Lines (when clicked) show the termini of each respective route (along with some turn back points), the stations only show if they are served by express trains (those that aren't are left blank)
Here's a preview showing only the Rapid Transit linesView attachment 204747
Any criticism is welcomed. If there's anything that might not be possible at all please let me know.

Looks really good.

My semi-realistic recommendations:

-BDL west could be ready to connect into Mississauga Centre. The push will 100% be in full force when its time to extend west in the future

-EELRT should go further to Malvern Town Center (it's also in the current design)

-Connection between Scarborough Centre to Malvern Town Centre. Possibly EELRT looped into the terminal at McCowan and Sheppard or similar to the old SLRT route passing thru Centennial college

-Markham rd. LRT

Last edited:
Great map; I would extend RL to Steeles, BRT on Steeles, Finch LRT to Pearson, some more N-S and E-W suburban BRTs.

I would add BRT but I think the express buses (which would in most cases run in an HOV lane) are good enough, since I think the Ottawa approach to BRT is the best but there is very little room to do that in much of the city. Since I'm not including other transit agencies from surrounding municipalities (YRT, MiWay, Brampton Transit - excluding TTC subway extensions) I don't think I will add any for the city.
-Markham rd. LRT
I was considering adding one since it's a high traffic route, I decided not to for the following reasons:
- Proximity to Line 2 North of Ellesmere (it's only ~2km to the east of McCowan for 7 out of the 11 km Markham Rd runs through the city)
- The very northern section of Markham Rd in the city (North of Sheppard) is completely industrial except for a small pocket of big box retail by Steeles
- I was running out of distinct colours to use for any further lines

Perhaps I could extend Line 2 north from Sheppard & McCowan to Steeles?
Extending Line 5 to Malvern Centre is pretty easy and I went and did it.

Maybe the Waterfront West LRT could be connected to the existing Harborfront LRT and extended as the Queens Quay East.
I've added a new streetcar along Parliament that uses QQ east, I've also extended the Harbourfront streetcar to where the Lakeshore West LRT meets Line 3 (at Roncesvalles)
509HarbourfrontExtension.png

-BDL west could be ready to connect into Mississauga Centre. The push will 100% be in full force when its time to extend west in the future
Good idea but I have no idea how to implement that since the routing is going to be wonky, any suggestions out of these 4 alignments?
line2-mississauga allignment.png

Great map; I would extend RL to Steeles, BRT on Steeles, Finch LRT to Pearson, some more N-S and E-W suburban BRTs.
I guess I could extend DRL/Line 3 to Steeles.
I don't see why the Finch LRT would be useful if it were extended to Pearson however. It has to cross the Humber right after Humber College and then head south past Woodbine racetrack, and then through a rather large industrial area (it would have to be tunneled here the streets are not nearly wide enough). That's a huge price tag for an extra maybe 5-10 minutes of convenience for people travelling to/from Rexdale and the Airport, with no real ridership demand in the area it's travelling through. The Kipling LRT goes up to finch and connects with the 52 bus (which goes to Pearson, and Line 5 - also to Pearson)
In my one screenshot I've highlighted the area where this line would save time for people going to the airport (in Black) and the potential routing of the line (Grey, easy to tell because i did it on MS paint, with 3 potential stops/stations along this extension minus Pearson.
FinchLRT-Pearson.png

And here is how the Rapid Transit system looks now:
ttc2100.png

Hopefully the HOV lanes are actually enforced. What about Dufferin?

I would add BRT but I think the express buses (which would in most cases run in an HOV lane) are good enough, since I think the Ottawa approach to BRT is the best but there is very little room to do that in much of the city. Since I'm not including other transit agencies from surrounding municipalities (YRT, MiWay, Brampton Transit - excluding TTC subway extensions) I don't think I will add any for the city.

I was considering adding one since it's a high traffic route, I decided not to for the following reasons:
- Proximity to Line 2 North of Ellesmere (it's only ~2km to the east of McCowan for 7 out of the 11 km Markham Rd runs through the city)
- The very northern section of Markham Rd in the city (North of Sheppard) is completely industrial except for a small pocket of big box retail by Steeles
- I was running out of distinct colours to use for any further lines

Perhaps I could extend Line 2 north from Sheppard & McCowan to Steeles?
Extending Line 5 to Malvern Centre is pretty easy and I went and did it.

I've added a new streetcar along Parliament that uses QQ east, I've also extended the Harbourfront streetcar to where the Lakeshore West LRT meets Line 3 (at Roncesvalles)
View attachment 204894

Good idea but I have no idea how to implement that since the routing is going to be wonky, any suggestions out of these 4 alignments?
View attachment 204893

I guess I could extend DRL/Line 3 to Steeles.
I don't see why the Finch LRT would be useful if it were extended to Pearson however. It has to cross the Humber right after Humber College and then head south past Woodbine racetrack, and then through a rather large industrial area (it would have to be tunneled here the streets are not nearly wide enough). That's a huge price tag for an extra maybe 5-10 minutes of convenience for people travelling to/from Rexdale and the Airport, with no real ridership demand in the area it's travelling through. The Kipling LRT goes up to finch and connects with the 52 bus (which goes to Pearson, and Line 5 - also to Pearson)
In my one screenshot I've highlighted the area where this line would save time for people going to the airport (in Black) and the potential routing of the line (Grey, easy to tell because i did it on MS paint, with 3 potential stops/stations along this extension minus Pearson.
View attachment 204895

Markham Rd is an area which will already see large near term development on both Ellesmere & Sheppard. The lands around Lawrence and Kingston have very high potential as well as the strip plaza which line the "avenue" in between.

Based on future density & develpoment potential I see a strong case. This was cited as a major reason the City studied Markham when looking to re-route Line 2.

I've designed a semi-realistic (In a perfect world much of what I've put on the map would be built) transit map for the TTC and GO Rail Transit for the year 2100.
It includes all bus routes (and a separate layer for 10-minute service routes), Express bus routes, streetcar routes (and additional redundant tracks), along with rapid transit. I've added several bus routes that may or may not be viable, now or in the future, I've also made the Eglinton Line a heavy rail subway (converted some time in the future) which might be the most unrealistic aspect of the map.
Here's the full map link here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=102rit15z0zA-pdTOa8wru-GhQPNfOQP5
Rapid Transit Lines (when clicked) show rail gauge, rolling stock info (just the width), and the build dates for the non existing infrastructure (segments of each Subway/LRT route).
Rapid Transit Stations (when clicked) shows whether the station is built underground/at-grade (fully separate or not)/elevated, in case of interchange stations it shows info for the platforms on each line that serves the station.
All bus routes (when clicked) show the end points for all branches of the route (if applicable), streetcar routes do the same.
GO Train Lines (when clicked) show the termini of each respective route (along with some turn back points), the stations only show if they are served by express trains (those that aren't are left blank)
Here's a preview showing only the Rapid Transit linesView attachment 204747
Any criticism is welcomed. If there's anything that might not be possible at all please let me know.
There’s a Warden Line, no?

line2-mississauga allignment.png
the route via Dundas and Hurontario via dixie GO would be the best for ridership and are pretty close to the defacto plans if the subway gets extended and the line terminates at city centre terminal instead of Burnhamthorpe and Hurontario.

While not fantasy maps I did create some horizontal maps for the Subway lines and lines under construction. One of the big things I added was showing the line that connects at interchange stations and whether it keeps going or terminates. I also added the icon and names to all lines present on the maps. Originally I had the disability icon on the station bubbles like the TTC currently does, however I felt it muddled the map and made it look ugly. Instead I put them and the washroom icons below in orderly columns which I think look a bit better. Lastly I didn't add the streetcar connections since I didn't feel they were absolutely necessary. All in all I wanted to keep the maps simple and easy to look at, the exception is Line 1 but only because there is so much
going on there.

Line 1 Map.png
Line 2 Map.png
Line 3 Map.png
Line 4 Map.png
Line 5 Map.png
Line 6 Map.png

While not fantasy maps I did create some horizontal maps for the Subway lines and lines under construction. One of the big things I added was showing the line that connects at interchange stations and whether it keeps going or terminates. I also added the icon and names to all lines present on the maps. Originally I had the disability icon on the station bubbles like the TTC currently does, however I felt it muddled the map and made it look ugly. Instead I put them and the washroom icons below in orderly columns which I think look a bit better. Lastly I didn't add the streetcar connections since I didn't feel they were absolutely necessary. All in all I wanted to keep the maps simple and easy to look at, the exception is Line 1 but only because there is so much
going on there.

View attachment 205099View attachment 205100View attachment 205101View attachment 205102View attachment 205103View attachment 205104

LOVE IT

Would love to see a modification of this map, with all the lines on it!

DzULt3bWsAYGy1M.jpg:large

going on there.

View attachment 205099View attachment 205100View attachment 205101View attachment 205102View attachment 205103View attachment 205104
God, Line 1 makes my eyes bleed. It's time to split the line, especially when it gets extended to RHC (Not included?). The rest (Even the Ontario Line) seem fine.

God, Line 1 makes my eyes bleed. It's time to split the line, especially when it gets extended to RHC (Not included?). The rest (Even the Ontario Line) seem fine.
It would be the same deal with the western & eastern extensions of the Crosstown and even more so since I believe a fully completed crosstown would be the longest line in Toronto and I believe 2nd in North America only behind the A Train in NYC. How any can think that full line could be operated as a single service is nuts, it will have to be split. As for the map problem there are two ways to solve it, either make the maps longer or buy vehicles with LCD displays.

Back