News   Apr 23, 2024
 399     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 370     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 611     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

You wouldn't be able to reconfigure the streetcar network to run standard LRVs as the turning radii would result in tracks on the sidewalk at many points in the network.

Then how will the LRTs ever turn the corners on the new routes?

This map combines John Tory's Eglinton East LRT with a early 90's proposal to extend the SRT to Malvern Town Centre to create one single line.
68451491_10157560861147370_2772603557973590016_n.jpg

If I were going to build a Scarborough circular line like the blue line depicted here, I'd go one further and extend it out to the Zoo.

This would be very feasible to do too since the Gatineau hydro corridor extends not too far north from UTSC on a diagonal passing right by Zoo Rd, and from there you could reconnect via the rail corridors back through to Morningside Hts and Malvern.

I think that if something were to be re-gauged, making the subway lines standard gauge would make more sense, as nowadays it would make no sense to run streetcars down those tracks. It would be much easier to procure parts for subway vehicles that way, but I think the combined expenses of re-gauging every line and the loss of productivity from the complete shutdown of the subway system outweigh those benefits.

I think that if something were to be re-gauged, making the subway lines standard gauge would make more sense, as nowadays it would make no sense to run streetcars down those tracks. It would be much easier to procure parts for subway vehicles that way, but I think the combined expenses of re-gauging every line and the loss of productivity from the complete shutdown of the subway system outweigh those benefits.
Maybe the new streetcar tracks could be put at the curb lane so pedestrian don't have to get to the centre of the street to board - assuming of course that there are no bike lanes and people obey the no stopping/standing/parking signs.

That would be a logistical nightmare of manipulating undersized tunnels, rerouting millions of commuters, and rebuilding infrastructure that would take at least 3 years of a complete shutdown of Lines 1 & 2, and at least 6 months on Line 4. It's just not worth it, especially when track guage is an insignificant cost addition to a contract price. When you tender vehicles, you save money in numbers, so keeping the system as is, and building lines with the TTC guage would cost less (without factoring in economic losses from closures) because you could purchase new vehicles for the system in bulk, and very easily share parts.

i am open to new subway lines in standard gauge but leave the existing ones alone there a very few places where they could feasibly be interlined with mainline tracks. even where possible it would be a mess with transport canada and with the timing unless freight is only allowed at night as is the case on the waterloo spur.

Would dual gauge work for the subways? Converting the lines over would take time, which would mean they are out of service for far too long.

Probably not. The difference between Toronto gauge and standard gauge is 60 mm, so it would be very difficult to fit rails of both gauges at the same time.

Hard with 3 rails but straight forward with 4 rails and a wide corridor. Not a whole lot of benefit and kills any thought of 24 hour TTC service on the line.

It's been talked about before, but I've firmed up what I really think the most appropriate course of action for Scarborough is. Essentially the Wye proposal, using high floor LRVs to reduce conversion costs but maintain commonality and allow less than total grade separation. IMO it would be entirely possible to market this thing as being the same technology as the Ontario Line at this stage (yeah, that's probably using trains not intended for street running, but intentions aside current High Floor LRVs and light metro units are basically identical in size, capacity and performance).

I'd drop the RER Lawrence station but re-locate Agincourt and add one at Finch and time construction so that the SRT shutdown is delayed until (short of the trains falling apart :mad:) the Eglinton East extension opens first and bus priority (if not fully dedicated lanes) is available on Kennedy and Progress.

Edit: pasting the map in

Last edited:
It's been talked about before, but I've firmed up what I really think the most appropriate course of action for Scarborough is. Essentially the Wye proposal, using high floor LRVs to reduce conversion costs but maintain commonality and allow less than total grade separation. IMO it would be entirely possible to market this thing as being the same technology as the Ontario Line at this stage (yeah, that's probably using trains not intended for street running, but intentions aside current High Floor LRVs and light metro units are basically identical in size, capacity and performance).

I'd drop the RER Lawrence station but re-locate Agincourt and add one at Finch and time construction so that the SRT shutdown is delayed until (short of the trains falling apart :mad:) the Eglinton East extension opens first and bus priority (if not fully dedicated lanes) is available on Kennedy and Progress.
It does need to follow the GO line and go to Pickering.
If anything, Sheppard should be converted to the same trains as the Ontario Line.
Sheppard Line would become elevated just before 404 (I don't know the exact location and depth of the Fairview Station, but I am imagining the line switching to the south side of Sheppard and crossing on a bridge roughly at similar elevation to the roadway bridge). It would continue elevated (mostly on the south side) until just after Kennedy, where it would go down to STC and then up to Malvern (Finch and Morningside). The "other" line, would go along Ellesemere, dip up to STC, and then Centennial (close to 4 parallel tracks in the 2.5km between STC and Centennial), and then dip down to UTSC and LSE-GO. All lines grade-separated.

Attachments

• 1566341134102.png
    1566341134102.png
    796.7 KB · Views: 388
  • 1566341408082.png
    1566341408082.png
    827 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:

Back