News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 575     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 877     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

1. If Scarborough was its own City SCC would have had the subway extended when the first vote came up
2. Scarborough is NOT its own City and is part Toronto and should be integrated like its part of Toronto
1. Only if the province desired it. I would be totally supportive of it too, because Scarborough and not Toronto residents would be covering at least 33% of the funding themselves. Toronto wouldn't be spending its meagre political capital on the SSE, freeing up ourselves to ask for the DRL.

2. Sure. We can integrate Scarborough exactly like we integrate parts of Toronto with equal density, land uses and built form.

17311175_10102139514243311_6594700814130234352_o.jpg

1. Only if the province desired it. I would be totally supportive of it too, because Scarborough and not Toronto residents would be covering at least 33% of the funding themselves. Toronto wouldn't be spending its meagre political capital on the SSE, freeing up ourselves to ask for the DRL.

2. Sure. We can integrate Scarborough exactly like we integrate parts of Toronto with equal density, land uses and built form.

17311175_10102139514243311_6594700814130234352_o.jpg

If Scarborough cant make its own Municpal decsions we sure as hell better integrate them and yes then change the land use accordingly

In theory, but we are already running articulated buses on Dufferin. Not your typical TTC bus route.

Fair points overall. I don't have anything to add - only thing left is to commission a study for this plan and see where the numbers rest. :p
Not just that, but Dufferin has numerous steep slopes as well, especially between Eglinton and Dupont.

http://i.imgur.com/Tp3xiwP.png
I made this a few weeks ago and I don't know if it qualifies as a fantasy map but it shows what the Toronto Rapid Transit network should look like in 2031. I included TTC Rapid Transit Services and the RER lines that are supposed to have 2-Way all day service and electrification. This is not really based on my opinion at all, I didn't add or remove any proposed stations nor did I alter their names (except for Aga Khan Park & Museum cause that didn't fit on the map smfh). As for stop names that have not been confirmed yet (Finch West, "Smarttrack" Stations), I just gave them names based on what I think Metrolinx will name them (so no duplicate station names, name them based on landmarks or area if cross street is unavailable).

http://i.imgur.com/Tp3xiwP.png
I made this a few weeks ago and I don't know if it qualifies as a fantasy map but it shows what the Toronto Rapid Transit network should look like in 2031. I included TTC Rapid Transit Services and the RER lines that are supposed to have 2-Way all day service and electrification. This is not really based on my opinion at all, I didn't add or remove any proposed stations nor did I alter their names (except for Aga Khan Park & Museum cause that didn't fit on the map smfh). As for stop names that have not been confirmed yet (Finch West, "Smarttrack" Stations), I just gave them names based on what I think Metrolinx will name them (so no duplicate station names, name them based on landmarks or area if cross street is unavailable).

Very nice.

In the fantasy planning world, how would you design a GO Train system if you were starting completely from scratch? In other words if there were absolutely no existing rail lines whatsoever, and you were able to lay track exactly where it is best needed for today's transit needs. I'm just curious how GO should look like if it did not need to rely on where rail lines were laid in the late 1800's and early 1900's

In the fantasy planning world, how would you design a GO Train system if you were starting completely from scratch? In other words if there were absolutely no existing rail lines whatsoever, and you were able to lay track exactly where it is best needed for today's transit needs. I'm just curious how GO should look like if it did not need to rely on where rail lines were laid in the late 1800's and early 1900's
I have no clue what I would do in downtown tbh. I don't like how the rail corridor separates the city from the waterfront, but at the same time having it anyplace north would divide downtown into two. Putting Union Station on the Midtown Corridor approximately where Summerhill is would be beneficial for the ability to have two Union Stations, one at Summerhil and the other at Dupont (and a third probably somewhere between The Junction and Ossington). However, having it that far north would mean forcing a transfer onto our north-south subway lines to reach downtown, which would be a transfer+congestion nightmare.

I would put many more rail lines in Scarborough however, around 3. Have them interline together on their way downtown for frequent service in it's own tunnel downtown. Basically, copying the Sydney/Melbourne way of doing things. SmartTrack on crack?

I often wonder what would have happened if Union station were designed not as a through station but as an end station. Essentially as a "T" with the lines still running along the lakeshore, but then turning North into the station. Thus allowing for greater layover time vs the through design.

Starting completely from scratch is hard because a lot of decisions depend on circumstances at the time of planning. So if we go back to the 60's and design from there, ..., I think you would look at existing population centres and try to connect them to the downtown (and secondarily together). I think the only major thing that might change would be to put a crosstown line through the Yonge/Eglington area. I would also integrate a GO line with the airport.

I think the only major thing that might change would be to put a crosstown line through the Yonge/Eglington area.
We had one btw. It wasn't profitable and was abandoned. Today it is the Belt Line.

Eglinton as a corridor is deserving of higher-order transit. An express midtown service is still something that should be considered today and in this fantasy scenario, but it should serve a different purpose and travel pattern than an Eglinton line.

Because of the lake, the current lines of GO work well. They radiate in all directions and get people downtown, the major employment center.

When I'm bored, I make transit fantasy maps.
View attachment 102641
Some context

why no stops in mississauga, do u expect mt to serve those sections of the line and brampton to operate more of an express service, either way, i think at least a couple stops in missisauga would be nice. its great to see someone make a brampton transit fantasy map for a change, i made a couple short term ones before my hard drive failed. also i would put the kitchener rer line along with its stops in this map, at least as a thinner line to show less frequent service than the other routes. do you think brampton transit will be operating a route along the 407 transitway in 2051??

Back