News   Feb 25, 2021
 1.7K     1 
News   Feb 25, 2021
 924     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

slapped_chicken

Member Bio
Reaction score
Very cool including an infographic like that. I think if building it as a subway then 54m is too short. That's like the same train length as current Line 3. Then again if the Prov is projecting extremely high 40k pphpd with 100m trains for OL, this roughly follows that belief. Which I think is pushing things a bit. Still I'd get on board with this retroactive proposal.
Truee, but these trains won't be like the ole rusty RT - longitudinal seating, for one, no operator cab, and open gangways. This system does use short trains, but I intend to make up for it with very high frequencies. With headways of 75 seconds (realistic bare minimum, I think, for an automated metro) it can do around 20k pphpd. Keeping the trains short saves me station construction costs (54 m vs 90 m platforms) which is important because I want to highlight that this plan might actually be more cost-effective than the mostly-tunnelled LRT. I think many are correct to say Eglinton doesn't really support a full-blown heavy rail subway line, so I think this mini-metro has fair capacity, I guess?

slapped_chicken

Member Bio
Reaction score
Might not even need anywhere near 20k PPHPD any time soon. Even the central section is expected to be under 7k for the foreseeable future, no?
Yea, 20k pphpd is the extreme maximum. Running these light metro trains every 3 minutes would have a capacity of ~8k pphpd; I don't think there's going to be a need to run these hypothetical trains more than every 2 minutes for a looong time - but the option would always be there, if for some reason the demand materializes - or - some special event like a full Line 2 emergency shutdown.

KhalilHeron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ok I've now completed editing the subway & streetcar map for the next 9 years! The completion dates of projects are definitely going to be later than I put due to delays but I just did it according to Metrolinx's given dates and my guesses when there are no dates provided. Here's the link the the Imgur album just so they can be at a better resolution:
Subway and Streetcar Map 2030 small.png

That's the last map I made for 2030^ The last thing I'm going to add is the Ontario line along with an extension of Broadview streetcar service to commissioners and a revised 505 streetcar. This current map wasn't designed with the Ontario Line in mind and it shows so far it is not the prettiest thing to look at. They're really gonna have to redesign this map when it opens and I might tackle that as my next project. If I made any mistakes it'd be great if u could point them out so I can fix them and try not to make similar mistakes in the future. Thanks!

Tuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is my first serious transit fantasy map I've ever made - it's an alternate universe design for the Eglinton Crosstown Line. In this design, light metro is used and the line also replaces the SSE. I believe in the overall transit plan for Toronto, implementing this plan would have been cheaper, faster and just better than the current Crosstown LRT + Crosstown LRT West and Scarborough Line 2 extension. I'm not at all a transit expert, but some of you are, so do point out errors/places of improvement. I also made infographics to go with the map, I hope that's allowed? It explains everything behind my ideas for this line in a nicer format than me typing out long paragraphs :D

View attachment 295319
View attachment 295320
Way better than what we're getting, good job. Though personally I'd prefer remaining on Eglinton and going up to Morningside.

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ok I've now completed editing the subway & streetcar map for the next 9 years! The completion dates of projects are definitely going to be later than I put due to delays but I just did it according to Metrolinx's given dates and my guesses when there are no dates provided. Here's the link the the Imgur album just so they can be at a better resolution: View attachment 295751
That's the last map I made for 2030^ The last thing I'm going to add is the Ontario line along with an extension of Broadview streetcar service to commissioners and a revised 505 streetcar. This current map wasn't designed with the Ontario Line in mind and it shows so far it is not the prettiest thing to look at. They're really gonna have to redesign this map when it opens and I might tackle that as my next project. If I made any mistakes it'd be great if u could point them out so I can fix them and try not to make similar mistakes in the future. Thanks!
No Eglinton West or Yonge extension? Also, there won't be any YRT service connecting at Scarborough Centre or Sheppard McCowan. Other than that, great map!

KhalilHeron

Member Bio
Reaction score
No Eglinton West or Yonge extension? Also, there won't be any YRT service connecting at Scarborough Centre or Sheppard McCowan. Other than that, great map!
I added the Yrt service just because it honestly makes sense and really should be a thing in my opinion especially when Scarborough centre has a bigger bus terminal. Ik it's not currently planned but my fingers are crossed. As per Eglinton west and Yonge, they are planned for completion around 2029-2031 so I could have included either of them in the previous map but I think if I do it will be on the map after I add the Ontario Line just because the alignment isn't quite decided on for either (just the pearson connection for Eglinton west), so I expect their opening dates to both to be used back quite a bit, after the Ontario Line opens. I'd love to be proven wrong there but idk man. I might not get to them for a while if the Ontario line necessitates a redisgn as I'd go and redo all of these maps from scratch in that case but I'll include them eventually ๐Ÿ˜Œ

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ok I've now completed editing the subway & streetcar map for the next 9 years! The completion dates of projects are definitely going to be later than I put due to delays but I just did it according to Metrolinx's given dates and my guesses when there are no dates provided. Here's the link the the Imgur album just so they can be at a better resolution: View attachment 295751
Amazing work! I too would love to see this with at least the Ontario Line added, if not Yonge North, and Eglinton East and West too. I'd love to post it on the RL Facebook group too.

slapped_chicken

Member Bio
Reaction score

Nice map! Btw, I'm assuming the 509 extension to Long Branch represents the Waterfront west LRT - does that completely replace the 501 west of Roncesvalles? It looks like the 501 ends there. And yea, I wish you luck with drawing in the OL, it will be quite a challenge because of the streetcar lines lol. At some point I think the TTC should get rid of mapping the streetcar lines on the main subway map in the future, unless it's LRT.

KhalilHeron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Nice map! Btw, I'm assuming the 509 extension to Long Branch represents the Waterfront west LRT - does that completely replace the 501 west of Roncesvalles? It looks like the 501 ends there. And yea, I wish you luck with drawing in the OL, it will be quite a challenge because of the streetcar lines lol. At some point I think the TTC should get rid of mapping the streetcar lines on the main subway map in the future, unless it's LRT.
Thanks! There was an older report that was showing different alignments for the waterfront west lrt before it was rebranded as waterfront transit reset and it had the 501 stop at Sunnyside. That also paces the way for the 501 to continue along the Queensway maybe ๐Ÿค” And yea I'm currently redesigning map that's somewhere between the full system map and this one so the Ontario line will look a lot better