News   Jul 15, 2024
 686     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 863     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 623     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I know what you mean 44 North about the streetcar lines would be nice to include but I think we're running into mission creep here. If the map is for rapid transit lines then I think we should have just the fastest modes, i.e. grade-separated transit. So for TTC that means the subway lines and the Eglinton tunnelled portion. The problem of course comes because Eglinton will be one continuous line that changes from grade-separated to in-median just west of Leslie.

It's a rapid transit map. Our LRT lines have been designated as rapid transit.

Well in terms of mission creep, we already have the airport express bus on it, which runs in traffic :)

Designer 1: Let's make a rapid transit map.

Designer 2: LRTs have been designated as rapid transit, so lets include them too.

Designer 1: Well, the airport express bus is awfully fast, so lets add that in.

Designer 2: Well, if were going to have a bus route, we might as well add all surface routes.

Introducing, our new rapid transit map:

rg1993.jpg

Mission creep! :)

Touché!

And that kids, is how a simple little subway map morphed into the big detailed Ride Guide that we all know and love today.

Seriously though, TM is right. We get to the Ride Guide pretty quickly. It has to be decided where to cut off but as I said before, Eglinton is the tricky one because it's an LRT but it's basically like a subway for half of its route.
Until we see Eglinton East (or Finch or Sheppard) operating we won't know if they're much different than Spadina or St. Clair

Last edited by a moderator:
We already know what they'll be like. Their average stop spacing is that of a subway, significantly wider than 510 or 512. Their average speed will not be much slower than a subway. It makes sense to include them

-every tourist is going to find it ridiculous that we have a line called SmartTrack. I really hate that branding.

I doubt it'll be called that when it opens. It's just the name of the project, not the actual name of the line. Like I doubt the downtown relief line will actually be called the same when it opens.

One map that shows everything that runs on rails, put this in subway cars/LRTs and station platforms. One map that shows all service including buses, put this in outdoor shelters (including streetcars) and at station exits/surface route platforms. IMHO.

One map that shows everything that runs on rails, put this in subway cars/LRTs and station platforms. One map that shows all service including buses, put this in outdoor shelters (including streetcars) and at station exits/surface route platforms. IMHO.

Why is whether a vehicle runs on rails or not a salient detail when planning a trip?

Why is whether a vehicle runs on rails or not a salient detail when planning a trip?

Mostly because this tired debate over what should be included on the basis of rapidity or frequency never goes anywhere. Rail is more or less permanent, is the backbone of the system and carries the most passengers to the most popular areas. Consider that the 504 carries more passengers than Line 4 and it's hard to see why you wouldn't include streetcars.

Okay, here’s a map of what i was talking about (I basically deleted a bunch of things from my fantasy map). It’s mostly to-scale with little distortion (other than south of B/D which was slightly stretched on its Y axis); fits an existing space in the subway car (20” x 28” ad space by the door); and font is only slightly smaller (but seemingly still legible). I was hoping that station names wouldn’t have to be angled, but I don’t think it could’ve been done otherwise (tho I may try something later by rotating the map 90deg clockwise and keeping station names horizontal).

Was a bit hesitant to draw in the in-median LRTs, but I gave them a different weighting than the subway system. As well, seeing that we have other higher-speed surface routes, I basically lumped them all together (FWLRT, SELRT, Crosstown East, 509, East Bayfront, St Clair, Airport Express etc).

SmartTrack makes its presence as well. It’s also shown with a different weighting. Whereas in-median is shown with a smaller line width because of slower service constrained by traffic, SmartTrack is shown with a smaller width because it’s less frequent. And whereas Tory oddly gave the line a green colour (despite the fact that B/D is already green), I gave it a blue (which has been cannibalized from Line 3 SRT).

What’s clear is that other than having to fit the narrow rectangle above the door, the subway map schematic does not need massive distortion to be 'simplified' or easier to understand. Our grid-like Tic Tac Toe network is pretty simple as it is. And like London or NYC, the distortion should mostly be located in the inner city/downtown where lines overlap and stations are closer together.

Good looking map! I'm working on something similar right now, trying to fit it onto the 20x28" poster. I found very early on that the X axis definitely needs to be condensed in order to make it fit, and you did a good job of that.

I'll point out a few differences on the map that I'm working on, just so that we can compare notes, in case it gives one of us an idea that'll improve a future version:

1) The biggest change that I've done is I've shown the streetcar lines on my map, using a thinner line weight red colour. No stops or anything are shown, just an indication of "hey, these are actually there". LRT lines are shown in the same line weight, but are independently coloured.

2) I think I've worked out a numbering/lettering system that works well, and wouldn't require the TTC to re-sign anything they've just recently signed. The basis is this: Heavy Rail (Subway and GO RER) lines are numbered, while LRT, BRT, and streetcar routes are lettered. This gives an instant level of stratification, whereby longer haul routes are numbered, and secondary or feeder routes are lettered.

3) I've shown connecting local transit routes from other municipalities in grey. I think they're useful to show for connectivity purposes, and the grey is 'passive' enough that it doesn't draw the eye. I think showing the TTC system as part of a larger, interconnected regional system is important.

4) I've shown GO RER lines in a light green, because I think in the not-too-distant future they'll become as important to transit in Toronto as most TTC RT routes are now. SmartTrack is shown in a different colour.

5) I'm using a vertical tick along the line to indicate an LRT stop, whereas I have full circles to indicate actual stations. I think the distinctions between full stations and stops is important, but I also think that stops should be labelled on the RT map as well. Streetcar stops are fine to omit though, as there's way too many of them.

6) With the extra vertical space on the map, I'm also including a simplified version of the GO RER network, so that riders can see the extent of that network, even if it isn't shown on the actual TTC map. It won't have nearly as much detail as the TTC version, but I think that's important to include.

Great map though. And I like that you've only used 0, 45, and 90 degree angles. I think that increases legibility immensely, even if it does create the occasional distortion.

Last edited:

Back