News   Jul 15, 2024
 427     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 576     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 569     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Why indicate which portions of LRT are above ground if same is not done for subways?

If being underground is all that's needed to be a subway, then does that meen the RT and the above ground subways should not be drawn as subway?

Subway is not about underground, nor is it grade separation. It's about fare-paid zones. It's a totally different fare system from the rest of the rail network.

Tp a rider, the above ground and below ground portion of a subway function the same. Likewise, the above and below ground portions of an LRT is also the same.

There is a discernible difference between a "stop" and a "station" though. Underground/overground no one cares

Why indicate which portions of LRT are above ground if same is not done for subways?

If being underground is all that's needed to be a subway, then does that meen the RT and the above ground subways should not be drawn as subway?

Subway is not about underground, nor is it grade separation. It's about fare-paid zones. It's a totally different fare system from the rest of the rail network.

Tp a rider, the above ground and below ground portion of a subway function the same. Likewise, the above and below ground portions of an LRT is also the same.

As you said, the main reason for the difference in indication is the difference between an on-street LRT stop and an underground stop (LRT or subway). The underground LRT stops will operate in the same way as a ordinary subway stop would, with fare-paid zones within the station complex. The on-street stops are much simpler and do not employ the same type of fare-paid zones as underground stations, hence the difference.

rg1993.jpg

Found this gem on Transit Toronto circa 1993. Interesting that they included the Harbourfront "LRT" on the map.

Full size

When the Harbourfront line opened, the TTC optimistically wanted to group it with the rapid transit lines instead of the streetcars. I recall people joking that LRT stood for Loud Rattling Tram.

all of the green and yellow parts aren't subways according to Stinz, as they are above ground.
Many of them aren't above ground, they are in trenches.

Map seems to be missing other spots where you get coverage. Western edge of Castle Frank station. I've been getting good reception in Union station lately, with so much of the station shell missing.

Many of them aren't above ground, they are in trenches.

Map seems to be missing other spots where you get coverage. Western edge of Castle Frank station. I've been getting good reception in Union station lately, with so much of the station shell missing.

I don't think the map has a high enough resolution to represent spaces that small.

Either way, the map was clearly designed just to poke fun at the TTC and not to be an accurate representation of where there is cell service.

Either way, the map was clearly designed just to poke fun at the TTC and not to be an accurate representation of where there is cell service.

Not obvious by me looking at the map. Not sure why anyone do that at this stage, now they've already tendered the cell service installation.

Looks like my fantasy map is slowly coming to fruition!

In an effort to shore up support in the GTA, the Harper Government announces that, in addition to all the lines planned for completion around 2020, it will fully finance the immediate construction of the Wellington-Front Line:

(click to enlarge)

It was also announced that as a condition of funding, the station currently planned to be named "Black Creek Pioneer Village" must be changed to "Steeles West" because naming a station "Black Creek Pioneer Village" is incredibly silly.

Decided to make an update to my GO REX map. By popular request, I've shown the Milton line as a GO REX line, with a spur to Square One. Also, since the SLRT is now off the table, I figure GO can use the SRT elevated guideway (or at least the ROW for it rebuilt to GO REX standards if needed) for a spur into STC. This would mean that every Places to Grow hub except NYCC and Eglinton-Yonge would have GO rail access.

I've also added frequency bubbles on each route, so that people can get a better understanding of the frequencies we're talking about here, in order to further distinguish the future GO REX service from the current GO service levels.

Also, with respect to the Square One spur, I figure that tunnel could also be used for the eventual Midtown GO REX, even if it's not shown on the map, because it's further down the road than the other lines.

GO REX_v4.jpg

For a higher quality version, here's the link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43869799/GO REX_v4.jpg

Attachments

• GO REX_v4.jpg
    GO REX_v4.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,704
as much as I dream for 60 minute off peak to uxbridge, there simply isn't demand. It would probably be picking up only around 20 people each time it stopped. Currently I can only really see half-decent demand for 3 or 4 peak hour trains. The only way I could see it working is if GO bought and operated single train versions of the O-Train, shuttling passengers to Lincolnville or Stouffville. (lincolnville could probably be eliminated with an uxbridge extension, it is mostly used by people living in uxbridge)
You may as well bring it to cobourg if you are bringing to port hope.

also, what is GO local?

Last edited:

Back