News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 465     0 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

^ A STC extension would be ideal but I think the Sheppard subway really needs to be expanded at least to Victoria Park. LRT doesn't do nearly enough for that stretch of road, but we are faced with the transit mindset of Miller and Giambrone: transit expansion to as many areas of Toronto as possible as opposed to targeted expansion, and to afford it they say that means LRT. I don't see anyone in or close to a position of power seriously campaigning for an alternative, at least not yet.

Out of all of the huffing and puffing on this forum, I've come to the conclusion that the first transit priority should have been to build a full DRL, and I wouldn't have complained very much about anything built after that. We've missed a huge opportunity.

^ A STC extension would be ideal but I think the Sheppard subway really needs to be expanded at least to Victoria Park. LRT doesn't do nearly enough for that stretch of road, but we are faced with the transit mindset of Miller and Giambrone: transit expansion to as many areas of Toronto as possible as opposed to targeted expansion, and to afford it they say that means LRT. I don't see anyone in or close to a position of power seriously campaigning for an alternative, at least not yet.

Out of all of the huffing and puffing on this forum, I've come to the conclusion that the first transit priority should have been to build a full DRL, and I wouldn't have complained very much about anything built after that. We've missed a huge opportunity.

1st: subway work would be DRL
2nd: extending the BD by the way of STC to Sheppard in place of LRT
3rd: extending the Yonge line to Steeles.
4th extending BD to Cloverdale
5th: extend Sheppard to Downsview

A reasonable enough plan

DRL should be first priority, but it's true, there does need a lot of real work considering the alignment, construction method, and such. So they should be putting all their effort into that, but it's gonna take a while. B-D to STC should be included in the first priority though, because the SRT is quickly going to be unusable. Construction should start as quickly as possible to minimize shutdown time.

I can accept a Sheppard-Victoria Park extension for now, but the next extension after that should (quickly,) be straight to STC. Eglinton should be the big focus, a real Eglinton RT from Pearson to Don Mills. But just because Eglinton should be the focus in that aspect doesn't mean Sheppard should get second-best treatment.

So which candidate for next election will be willing to accept a real RT plan? I'm sure it'd be a political burden. It'd take a very skilled person to turn it in favour of themselves, but it's certainly, certainly possible.

The people bitching about projects along streets such as Sheppard East don't even live near it or ride it every day like myself. I (and everyone up here in Northern Scarborough) want the Sheppard East LRT, look forward to having it built, and we will be very happy with the LRT for many years to come.

I see; people of Northern Scarborough enjoy variety... Consider one of them who is a student at York U in 2015. So, she will start her trip by boarding SE LRT, followed by a short subway ride, then she will take a bus to Downsview, and finally back to subway to York. She'll be able to sample almost everything TTC can offer... I am afraid she will get tired soon and discover the benefits of driving 401.

I see; people of Northern Scarborough enjoy variety... Consider one of them who is a student at York U in 2015. So, she will start her trip by boarding SE LRT, followed by a short subway ride, then she will take a bus to Downsview, and finally back to subway to York. She'll be able to sample almost everything TTC can offer... I am afraid she will get tired soon and discover the benefits of driving 401.

More likely she'll go to Scarborough Town Centre and take a GO bus because fare integration two year prior will have made it a more cost effective trip.

We can all come up with complicated trips by picking a two random points and trying to connect them...

I work closely on several projects with the City of Toronto and you should hear some of the names floating around the table about you people who are putting down Transit City. They think the Save Our Subways (SOS) group is a bunch of crap and have no intentions of reviewing their plan. I even heard word that Steve Munro told TTC (and maybe Metrolinx) to ignore them
I find it odd that you decided to reply to my message here, but also send me a pm.

Let's see here:

with a legal first name like Ervin, you sound like an idiot too!

People like you and Second_in_pie are anti-Transit City and anti-LRTs and want everything to be a subway. Accept what you are getting and be quiet!

Oh yes, because somehow, having a certain arrangement of letters assigned to me makes me an idiot. Thank you for clearing up the fact that you are a brain damaged child.

Also, I never said anything about my stance on transit city, or LRTs. I like subways, but there are many forms of transit that I think are no less important than subways, my personal favourite being commuter trains like GO trains, which I really hope to see more of in Toronto. You just made a stupid post and that's all there is to it. I'm sorry that your puny mind can't comprehend that, but often times people who are smarter than you don't just lash out at others when they disagree with them(unlike you). They just know how to see when a person is spewing idiocity, like you just proved you are.

Last edited:
Or she could take the GO from Agincourt and then go to York University station. From there, take the shuttle bus or whatever to the university.

It could work especially if the frequency was greater. If there was a regional crosstown line that went in followed 401 and Spadina, it'd be well utilized by students in the immediate area as well.

"Accept what you're getting and be quiet"?

Why should we be silent when the city is making stupid decisions. We live in a democracy. We have a right to express our opinions about Transit City, LRT, public transit, etc. I find the attempt to stifle debate pretty petty and frightening. If you believe in what you believe so whole-heartedly, why would you be frightened by discussing it?

Come to think of it, it probably would have been best to leave Sheppard alone and wait for it to be worthy to extend the subway eastward, at least they wouldn't have to dig up the Sheppard LRT after the fact.

Come to think of it, it probably would have been best to leave Sheppard alone and wait for it to be worthy to extend the subway eastward, at least they wouldn't have to dig up the Sheppard LRT after the fact.
I'd much, much rather do nothing to Sheppard until funding comes for a subway. Well, there's already enough money for a subway, but if it was gonna be another 15 years for a subway, it's better than either wasting a billion dollars on a redundant LRT, or never having a subway on the corridor.

^^Your obsession with subways is worrisome. Saying that riders should continue to suffer with crowded, and slow buses for a subway no one is interested in extending will not win you any supporters.

Last edited:

Back