News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 836     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

Do you have the extra $120 million that would cost? Besides, the plan for the interchange at don mills is to have LRT and subway on the same level, the plan for consumers is to have the two modes on separate levels.

Also, more people are heading from east of consumers to the don mills station area than are headed from consumers to the subway, so having the switch at don mills provides for better service.

This is the problem with this city...

People believing what the authority is saying without thinking.

How can Montreal increase their subway system by 33% and surpasse Toronto by 2020 if they are BROKE and POORER than Toronto?

Do you know That Quebec is more Broke than Ontario?

Sheppard LRT is political and there is no common sense in it. He needs to win votes after ignoring Scarborough, North York and Etobike during his mandate.

The solution? Transit city will win me votes.

When is election day? 2010...

The EA said a Sheppard extension to Victoria Park had enough ridership to be profitable. But they wont hear it.

^

What does that have to do with deciding where to switch between LRT and subway? We are not in a race with montreal.

Transit has always been political, that will never end.

I have heard this "EA said profitable to VP" line several times, and I don't believe it. But can someone please point out where this is mentioned or provide a link?

I've just done a word search on both parts of the Sheppard EA and I certainly can't find this idea in there, but that's not to say someone didn't say it somewhere. I think "profitable to Victoria Park" actually grew out of a positive comment about Consumers Road. In discussing the two final plans, underground LRT at Don Mills vs. at grade LRT at Consumers, the EA said this:

8.6.2 Recommended Option 3b - Subway Extension
Option 3b, with a shallow subway extension to Consumers Road, would require an LRT “station†in
the middle of Sheppard Avenue (east of Consumers Road) with direct passageways to the subway
below (Figure 8-9). This option avoids the need for travellers from the Business Park to travel one
stop and then transfer to the subway as per Option 2b (above). As such, Option 3b is a much
more effective “catalyst†for denser, transit-oriented development in this development node.
However, the cost is much higher for this alternative and more detailed design is necessary to
determine if a “shallow†subway is achievable.

Closest thing I can find. Any other suggestions?

Big question mark here is the Finch East bus.

Will it terminate at Don Mills & Finch, Don Mills & Sheppard, or Yonge & Finch?

I expect it will run down to Don Mills subway station but haven't seen anything to indicate where it might terminate.

I expect it will run down to Don Mills subway station but haven't seen anything to indicate where it might terminate.
Hopefully it'll be going to Finch Station. Dipping down to Sheppard would completely kill the route's usefulness. It will probably be running to Don Mills, however.

Express to Yonge from Don Mills?

As for the subway-LRT connection why not do what they are planning in Ottawa for their proposed LRT line: overlap. The LRT is running to Don Mills anyway. So build that as planned (on the surface ROW) and extend the subway one stop to service Consumers. This way there will be fewer people tranferring between the two and perhaps we won't need a connection on the same platform. It would be more expensive but it would save a lot of transfers.

How can Montreal increase their subway system by 33% and surpasse Toronto by 2020 if they are BROKE and POORER than Toronto?
Your clearly not familiar with Montreal politics. There is a huge difference there between announcing a project, and actually doing it. The St-Michel extension of the Blue line has been announced many, many times since the 1980s - it was even shown as under construction on Metro maps for a few years. The Longueil extension has been announced for over 10-years. And the Orange-line extension - at least to Bois Franc has been announced on and off for a quarter-century or so. It's not like they'll actually build much; apart from the 1-station extension of the Blue line to Pie-IX, I'm not sure they'll have anything else open by 2020. And speaking of Pie-IX - what about the White Line (Line 7) they printed on the Metro maps for a few years ...

There is a huge difference there between announcing a project, and actually doing it.

Exactly. And, as pointed out earlier in this thread, they have not even announced any project -- they've announced that some mayors are getting together to propose one.

Star: Sheppard rail costs soar

Just two weeks after Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Premier Dalton McGuinty announced $950 million to build the Sheppard East light rail line, the cost has gone up.

The Toronto Transit Commission yesterday approved a change that would see the line connect underground with the Sheppard subway and run east in a tunnel under Highway 404, reaching the surface near Consumers Rd.

The change will add $110 million to the cost of the 15-kilometre project running from Don Mills station to Meadowvale Rd. in Scarborough. Construction is to start later this year and be completed in 2013.

Typical TTC.
As if that tunnel idea fell out of the sky some time in the last few days.

Oh well, at least it will placate those here apoplectic it's not a subway but at least seeing they are trying make to the transfer sensible.
Sigh.

This just goes to show how grotesquely expensive a Sheppard Subway extension would've been if a primarily surface LRT line lacking ROW exclusivity is somehow now exceeding well over a billion dollars.

Predictions: This will be what stops further Transit City expansion dead in its tracks. Alas, maybe taking our city's DRL aspirations down with it too.

Back