News   May 09, 2024
 95     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

If the city doesn't have the guts to give these lines with proper stop spacing, they should just do a Viva style BRT system with prepaid boarding, high capacity buses, and exclusive bus lanes. This could be done at a far lower cost than LRT.

Agreed. If the city doesn't have the money to finish Sheppard, it should just build a BRT. It's cheaper than LRT and it doesn't get in the way of finishing the subway.

Or Sheppard with BRT will already have better transit than somewhere else so the focus will no longer be on Sheppard when subways get built. Not being able to take the BRT out of service to do cut and cover because the BRT is the backbone of transit in northern Toronto they will focus on putting the next upgrade somewhere else.

Or Sheppard with BRT will already have better transit than somewhere else so the focus will no longer be on Sheppard when subways get built. Not being able to take the BRT out of service to do cut and cover because the BRT is the backbone of transit in northern Toronto they will focus on putting the next upgrade somewhere else.

Well since the TTC refuses to do cut-and-cover anyway, the BRT will not be in the way, don't worry. My primary concern is wasting money on a stop-gap-transfer-creating-waste-of-money-half-LRT on this route.

^ Agreed. It didn't stop Ottawa from cancelling their boneheaded LRT plan. They came up with something more sensible and the feds have actually pledged more money to Ottawa than before.

Pledges aren't really project by project, it is just money pledged out of the allocated amount for transfer to the province. To qualify a project just needs to meet the funding criteria, and there needs to be budget room. There aren't a bunch of people in the back room deciding to back one project and not another - that only happens if the province is spending more than the federal funding can match. Hence, Ottawa canceling the NSLRT and bringing forward the new project didn't really get rid of or find any new federal funding, over the longer project timeline of the new LRT project, there is more money to draw from, and the future funding has less projects drawing from it so far.

I'm usually not a big BRT fan, but if we downgraded Sheppard to BRT pending future subway completion to STC, and instead replaced the SRT with subway to STC then I'd accept that compromise.

I still think that it's pretty politically sound to just kick all parts of the SELRT plan and continue the subway on to STC. Maybe you'll have to make an interm stop at Agincourt, but as long as you've got that, you're not losing anything. While the opposition towards LRT may be silly, the people out in the suburbs (i.e. zooland,) won't actually be caring that much about any transit, and the ones that do will find themselves with the same trip times as with the LRT with the subway. On the flip side, the people against LRT before Agincourt do want a subway, and believe they're being undercut by the city and TTC. It's essentially a win/win.

I'm usually not a big BRT fan, but if we downgraded Sheppard to BRT pending future subway completion to STC, and instead replaced the SRT with subway to STC then I'd accept that compromise.

I still think that it's pretty politically sound to just kick all parts of the SELRT plan and continue the subway on to STC. Maybe you'll have to make an interm stop at Agincourt, but as long as you've got that, you're not losing anything. While the opposition towards LRT may be silly, the people out in the suburbs (i.e. zooland,) won't actually be caring that much about any transit, and the ones that do will find themselves with the same trip times as with the LRT with the subway. On the flip side, the people against LRT before Agincourt do want a subway, and believe they're being undercut by the city and TTC. It's essentially a win/win.

See below:

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

The funny thing is your avatar has a picture of the DRL so we can't possibly be that far apart in opinions I'd think. Considering the DRL is SOS's first priority.

Considering the SOS doesn't have any real political clout, I'm sticking with my position of a pro TC and DRL simultaneous construction. You guys do not share my opinion on rapid transit, and along with your lame proposed BRT routes, I certainly won't convert to your laughable group.

Back