News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 465     0 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

Having a fully staffed subway station in a place like the Don Mills & York Mills intersection... a station which could never hope to see more than 600 passengers in a day, is just a money pit.

Thanks for playing.

Do Don Mills and York Mills intersect? What subway line would that be on exactly? I'm confused by what you're talking about.

It sounds to me like you're just anti-subway so there's no use debating with you.

I would have to say that GO would be really useful for regional transportation if it had more routes and networks, such as a crosstown line that goes from Pickering in a straight line through Toronto and not having to head south.

I would have to say that GO would be really useful for regional transportation if it had more routes and networks, such as a crosstown line that goes from Pickering in a straight line through Toronto and not having to head south.

There's been lots of talk about the Crosstown GO route and it's even mentioned in recent GO documents, but that's years away from becoming a reality I think. And there's unease about having Summerhill/North Toronto as a second Union.

Do Don Mills and York Mills intersect? What subway line would that be on exactly? I'm confused by what you're talking about.

It sounds to me like you're just anti-subway so there's no use debating with you.

Yes they do intersect. A DRL station there would serve a 7-8ish storey office building (Rothmann's signage IIRC), a golf course, and the Westin Prince hotel. There's also a fairly large employment area to the west and north, where the Ontario Association of Architects office is located. However, most passengers using this station would transfer from the York Mills bus route from the east.

Yes they do intersect. A DRL station there would serve a 7-8ish storey office building (Rothmann's signage IIRC), a golf course, and the Westin Prince hotel. There's also a fairly large employment area to the west and north, where the Ontario Association of Architects office is located. However, most passengers using this station would transfer from the York Mills bus route from the east.

Okay so how did this supposed subway station come up when we've been talking about extending the Sheppard Subway east and west and replacing the SRT with subway up to STC.

As for the DRL, I thought even the most ardent Transit City supporters (e.g. Steve Munro) believe in it, including possibly just continuing it up along Don Mills instead of the proposed LRT?

And even the most naive person in the world must know that every single subway station can be bursting at the seams, otherwise you'd have bedlam (word of the day).

Ok, just making sure ;)

Coruscanti Cognoscente said:
Okay so how did this supposed subway station come up when we've been talking about extending the Sheppard Subway east and west and replacing the SRT with subway up to STC.

As for the DRL, I thought even the most ardent Transit City supporters (e.g. Steve Munro) believe in it, including possibly just continuing it up along Don Mills instead of the proposed LRT?

And even the most naive person in the world must know that every single subway station can be bursting at the seams, otherwise you'd have bedlam (word of the day).
Someone made a comment about the DRL, and the inevitable complaints about a York Mills station came up.

Those such as Steve Munro are advocating for a DRL north of Bloor, to Eglinton. That seems to be an accepted view. I'm pretty sure that Giambrone would loose a lot of sleep if the DRL got north of Bloor, but many people are seeing it as the logical thing to do. I'm confident that that's what'll happen, whenever the DRL gets built.
Going all the way up Don Mills to Sheppard or Finch is a rather more radical view, but still holds a lot of water. Especially since most of the route could be built aboveground for a fraction of the cost of underground, it'd be a pretty sound investment.

Even if it did end at Eglinton, that'd be all right. But there should be long-term plans to have it continue up to Sheppard. No need to sell the network short.

Even if it did end at Eglinton, that'd be all right. But there should be long-term plans to have it continue up to Sheppard. No need to sell the network short.

I said at TTC meeting and in my report on the Yonge extension early this year, take the DRL up to Sheppard and forget about taking the Yonge line north of Steeles.

If York builds the Don Mills LRT to Highway 7, you just kill the ridership on the Yonge line extension to RHC to justify a subway to it.

This LRT going north of Don Mills will do the same thing for the Sheppard subway going east for decades.

If the SRT was replace with a Subway to Sheppard like it should, it will be many decades before the Sheppard subway needs to be built east and not in your life time. By then, Sheppard should not look like it does today.

If the $$ were there and prepared to cover the operation losses for the next 50 years, let build subways all over the place.

it's mutual then. I have no intrest in debating this subject with somebody who doesnt know Don Mills intersects with York Mills.

I like visiting this thread because I used to live just off of Sheppard near Meadowvale when I first moved here to Toronto. But the conversation is more about the non-funded DRL which has a few threads of its own already.

The reality is this line has already got the hardest part of almost any project completed and that is securing the funding. The Sheppard East LRT is going to become reality and they are going to be starting work on the grade seperation of the LRT line at the Agincourt GO station.

What my hope is that they also secure extra funding to construct a spur line at this Agincourt GO LRT station so that some of the Sheppard East LRT cars leave the Sheppard corridor and then travel south-east to the Scarborough Town Center transit hub. This would connect the North York Center area a lot more efficiently then the heavily used #190 bus does, or getting on the extended SRT (which might be LRT as well) and back track to Sheppard/Markham area to travel to get to the SELRT to eventually get to Noth York Center.

You know with everyone saying "It's what the city and the TTC planned for so just accept it". If the Steve Munro's and Streetcars for Toronto's of the world took that advice there would be no Streetcar network in Toronto at all.

All I'm saying is that we as "Transit Enthusiasts" should be the most critical of any transit planning in this region. We should be the ones asking why this route is getting a subway while another is getting LRT. I don't see that as a subway vs LRT bias at all. We should be critical of any plans because the general public will mostly simply accept any form of transit planning.

Now I see why its a waste of time discussing with you why the subway shouldn't be going to MCC any time soon. You don't even know that Don Mills and York Mills intersect. Can't you at least check google maps before exposing your lack of knowledge.

In a charitable feeling of protection, is it not possible that Coruscanti was talking about York Mills with the current Don Mills station on the Sheppard line? Cause those two don't intersect.

In a charitable feeling of protection, is it not possible that Coruscanti was talking about York Mills with the current Don Mills station on the Sheppard line? Cause those two don't intersect.

Yes that was the source of confusion.

That said, there's no reason the rest of you can't check out Google Maps and check out Mississauga before bashing it.

If this is what "Starting Construction" means, we still have tonnes of time to end this madness before the LRT actually starts.

And how will you plan on going about stopping the madness? Also, what would you do if the City of Toronto changed its mind and started construction for the LRT in the central or western end?

Back