636     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
If Willowdale Station is already roughed in, how much would it cost to build it? How much would it cost if we did it on the cheap? How much if we TTC-size it (i.e. supersize it)? I think a Willowdale Station on the existing line, and an extension west to serve Bathurst and Downsivew would add ridership to Sheppard and make it much more useful.

But you gotta wonder, if the TTC considered this, how logical does it become to have a Sheppard East LRT being planned east of Don Mills? If we're gonna make the Sheppard line useful as a crosstown corridor, it should go from Downsview to STC at the least.

Like I said many time...

Miller wants to kill the Sheppard line for political reasons and it has nothing to do with ridership...

The Sheppard line which is a 5 station and 5.5 Km line have more ridership than 3 of Chicago lines who has 19 stations and almost 20 km long on 2 of those 3 lines...and they are connected downtown nonetheless...

Miller wants to get Scarborough and North York votes by starting building Sheppard east before the next election. (Weird logic)

You can't become mayor with Old Toronto alone. You need to win the other districts as well...

I only hope that the funding announced by Mcguinty for Finch and Eglinton excludes Sheppard and by the elections, Miller's successor does the right thing by completing Sheppard Line.

The only valid reason we'd have to infill mid-block stations (Shaugnessy, Willowdale) is to do away with the parallel bus feeder (85A) overtop the subway line. Throwing even more cash at this subway project sends the wrong message though when so many other corridors are waaaaaaay more deserving of higher-order transit, ahead of Sheppard.

I haven't ridden every bus route but the 85 bus east of Don Mills is increadibly crowded and heavily used. I don't know how busy this route is from Don Mills to Yonge, but I think LRT is desereved east of Don Mills. My own preference would be to extend the subway to Vic. Park and then have LRT from VP to the east, possibly even Durham region. I don't think this is likely but I hope they keep investing in the Sheppard Subway and future LRT on this heavily used corridor. I think they should reopen the old Eglington Subway project as well, but. their is only so much funding available.

considering the massive ridership on the Finch bus, that road could have easily supported a subway...

The Sheppard West LRT is not the first Transit City project to begin. The Waterfront West LRT is already the first.
The Waterfront West LRT is run from Union Station west (final route still to be decided) to the Queensway, west on the Queensway until the Humber where it will follow Lake Shore Blvd. W. to Long Branch.
The Queensway has been undergoing construction for the past few years. At the moment, the South Kingsway intersection is being altered. There are other portions to undergo construction soon.
If the Queensway right-of-way will be used for the Waterfront West LRT, then the construction could be considered to be undergoing for Transit City.

First post! :)

Hi guys... As I'm new here, forgive me for not having read each post in every thread about the new Transit City initiative, but I'm a little bit confused as to why so many seem to think that the ground level parts of the planned Eglinton crosstown LRT are necessarily going to be slow.

I don't know as much about the west end of the city, but as far as the east Toronto/Scarborough part, it seems to be that it would be quite fast. From essentially Leslie all the way to Kennedy it could almost be argued that Eglinton is nearly like highway in many regards. Sure, the speed limit is 60 km/hr for cars, but OTOH, there are often speed traps along that strip because even during rush hour, people hit 75 km/hr or faster. This whole strip is fundamentally different than Eglinton in the city core. That shift occurs (very dramatically) at Leslie, which is presumably why they decided to go underground at that point.

With a dedicated and separated lane for the LRT and priority signalling, I would expect little problems in terms of traffic congestion.

One big potential problem of course is the snow, but hopefully the TTC and Bombardier have learned from the previous Scarborough LRT.

Last edited:
Is it me or our useless low ridership Sheppard Subway has more ridership than Pink, purple and Yellow line?

You forgot the Green line there. I bet that Sheppard is doing better than the entire green line.

Nothing wrong with the Sheppard Line? How about the fact that it is a stub?

If we take that kind of attitude, then the Scarborough blue line is a stub too, lets get rid of that mofo - hey, it has less ridership than the Sheppard line does.

One could infer from that, that the Sheppard Line fails to even net in its home base regaularly, so what justification could we possibly have for extending it?

Back in those days there was still cheap petrol. Petrol's price has gone up, though it has fallen lately, but it will be back up soon, and when the price of petrol is high, then the line being there is worth triple what it is now.

All in all, we need more subways. I feel that this is a no-brainer, especially when petrol prices go back up - and indeed they will.

The Sheppard West LRT is not the first Transit City project to begin. The Waterfront West LRT is already the first.
The Waterfront West LRT is run from Union Station west (final route still to be decided) to the Queensway, west on the Queensway until the Humber where it will follow Lake Shore Blvd. W. to Long Branch.
The Queensway has been undergoing construction for the past few years. At the moment, the South Kingsway intersection is being altered. There are other portions to undergo construction soon.
If the Queensway right-of-way will be used for the Waterfront West LRT, then the construction could be considered to be undergoing for Transit City.

Using that logic, that means if they resurface Allen Road, that means construction of the Spadina Expressway has finally begun.

You forgot the Green line there. I bet that Sheppard is doing better than the entire green line.

If we take that kind of attitude, then the Scarborough blue line is a stub too, lets get rid of that mofo - hey, it has less ridership than the Sheppard line does.

Back in those days there was still cheap petrol. Petrol's price has gone up, though it has fallen lately, but it will be back up soon, and when the price of petrol is high, then the line being there is worth triple what it is now.

All in all, we need more subways. I feel that this is a no-brainer, especially when petrol prices go back up - and indeed they will.
I gotta agree with all your points there, but if Sheppard deserves a full subway, Eglinton, DRL, Dundas, Hurontario, Highway 2, Viva Blue and Viva Purple all deserve fully blown subways too.

I see the point in building Willowdale and Sheppard West to Downsview, but seriously, past Don Mills doesn't really warrant a subway. Sheppard East will be a faster and higher capacity route that will be a positive force in these dark times. Don Mills will be a hub for the Sheppard East LRT, Don Mills LRT and soon-to-be all day service Viva Green and will provide quick, reliable transit into NYCC.

I agree though, we do need more subways. We should be getting Eglinton, the DRL and a Sheppard West Extension if not more things, as subways. Not as far-off things on the horizon, but starting in the next 10 years, along with the rest of the Transit City plan.

The work on the Queensway is regular maintenance on existing tracks.

They moved the platforms from nearside to farside. The catenary supports were moved to the center, away from the sides. Landscaping has been done.

However, you could be right with the shelters. They should be improved to provide more coverage from the rain, snow, and winds on the entire platform not just a small section. And, of course, transit priority should be on right now on the Queensway.

Mostly, the Queensway right-of-way is about 50% of what a Transit City LRT should be.

I gotta agree with all your points there, but if Sheppard deserves a full subway, Eglinton, DRL, Dundas, Hurontario, Highway 2, Viva Blue and Viva Purple all deserve fully blown subways too.

I see the point in building Willowdale and Sheppard West to Downsview, but seriously, past Don Mills doesn't really warrant a subway. Sheppard East will be a faster and higher capacity route that will be a positive force in these dark times. Don Mills will be a hub for the Sheppard East LRT, Don Mills LRT and soon-to-be all day service Viva Green and will provide quick, reliable transit into NYCC.

I agree though, we do need more subways. We should be getting Eglinton, the DRL and a Sheppard West Extension if not more things, as subways. Not as far-off things on the horizon, but starting in the next 10 years, along with the rest of the Transit City plan.

I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with your points regarding where or where not a subway should be built - but the Sheppard subway ridership is greater then Visa blue purple orange green and any colour you can think of combined ... I'm not sure if that was what you were implying.

Indeed it is, and I am happy to report to you that this "blue line" is indeed planned to be extended and converted to LRT. I hope Sheppard gets the same fate!

:)

Indeed it is, and I am happy to report to you that this "blue line" is indeed planned to be extended and converted to LRT. I hope Sheppard gets the same fate!

:)

And what a sad, sad fate it is. The Danforth line should be extended to STC. No doubt. How anyone can even deny that has clearly never set foot in Scarborough. And I say that as a born and bred Mississaugan (whereas most of my brethren would get goosebumps at the mere mention of Dufferin Mall, never mind Scarborough).

Back