1.9K     1 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
in Rob Fords Sheppard plan it looks like the subway would dip south of Sheppard.. Where specifically would it be located? What is the benefit of a southern allignment? why not Dip south of sheppard after the Agincourt GO stop?

I don't think Rob put too much thought into his drawings. I wouldn't exactly peg them as being a precise alignment. Don Mills to STC is really all he thought about.

That is true, unless Ford is counting on using that money for part of Sheppard. Time will tell, but at least we know that the Eglinton plan isn't going to be scrapped. That's undoubtedly the most important piece of Transit City, and pretty much the only piece that I actually support. If they built a grade-separated Eglinton LRT from Pearson to STC, I'd be a very happy camper. Bookmark some money to do upgrades to key intersections along Finch West, and put in bus lanes in select choke points, in order to make the existing bus service flow more smoothly. It's not a long term solution, but it's a relatively inexpensive stop-gap solution that can be done relatively quickly (far less time than building an LRT), and will have immediate effects.

Ford can't put any of the Transit City money toward subway extensions without some major finagling. The province needs to own any lines built with that money.

This is why chatter is that they'll run the Eglinton LRT straight through Kennedy to STC - the province would own the entirety of the line.

Ford can't put any of the Transit City money toward subway extensions without some major finagling. The province needs to own any lines built with that money.

This is why chatter is that they'll run the Eglinton LRT straight through Kennedy to STC - the province would own the entirety of the line.

True, good point. I forgot about the whole ownership thing. In that case great, an extra $2.15 billion to complete Eglinton end-to-end in 1 shot. Grade-separate the 7.5km between the Laird portal and Kennedy, extend the tunnel a few hundred metres to Eglinton Flats, and then elevate and/or trench through the Richview corridor. If Metrolinx proposes that, I will be even happier, haha. If that happens, it'll be the longest rapid transit expansion since the late 1960s!

Councillor Perruzza seems to indicate in this mailing that Finch is getting nothing:

Making Finch Work
Dear Resident,

Finch Avenue*West is at gridlock. Cars, trucks, and buses are stuck*behind one*another*in traffic.* The 36 Finch West bus is the busiest route*in Toronto, leaving passengers to wait as crowded buses continue to pass them by.

The TTC and Toronto City Council have a plan to make*Finch Avenue West*work for everyone by widening Finch Avenue West and building an LRT from Yonge Station to Humber College and the airport on the westend. The new plan scraps the Finch LRT and leaves an area of the City which has long needed this improvement feeling abandoned.

This is simply unacceptable.

We need to make Finch Avenue West work for drivers and transit users.

Follow this link to send your views to City Council.

http://www.emailthem.ca/transitcity/

Sincerely,
Anthony Perruzza

City of Toronto Councillor
York West – Ward 8

I do feel bad for Finch West - even Transit City proponents are calling for it to be cut to allow for more grade separation on other routes. All to satisfy a mayor that really doesn't have that kind of mandate.

I know there are a number of reasons why this wasn't possible, but I wish they would have given it higher priority. If Finch was the project with shovels in the ground, the landscape of this debate would be different.

The angry-at-Ford-voters in me almost wants Finch to get nothing. It's what they voted for.

In 4 years, perhaps a more progressive Mayor will step in with Finch as part of Phase 2.

If it takes 50, 60, and 70s towers to financially support the Sheppards subway, then I welcome that, it’s not like we’re putting them in the middle of Guildwood, Rosedale or Forest Hill. Toronto needs to GROW UP literally more towers along Sheppards would be a welcome addition. “add a little urban flavour to a rather suburban waste land”

If it takes 50, 60, and 70s towers to financially support the Sheppards subway, then I welcome that
But will there be demand for such towers? Building a subway does not guarantee density. This whole plan rests on the dubious notion of if we build it, they will come.

phase 2

FINCH
LAWRENCE
DON MILLS
JANE

Phase 2:

DRL
North Yonge Extension
Finch West

I don't really expect the DRL to be on that list, but it's worth it to advocate for it. If anything, pushing for the Yonge extension will by its very nature be pushing for the DRL.

Phase 2:

DRL
North Yonge Extension
Finch West

I don't really expect the DRL to be on that list, but it's worth it to advocate for it. If anything, pushing for the Yonge extension will by its very nature be pushing for the DRL.

If the DRL uses light rail, then it's two arms could be DON MILLS and JANE. If the DRL uses heavy rail, then it'll just terminate at the BLOOR-DANFORTH or EGLINTON.

If the DRL uses light rail, then it's two arms could be DON MILLS and JANE. If the DRL uses heavy rail, then it'll just terminate at the BLOOR-DANFORTH or EGLINTON.

The only way I would support an LRT DRL is if it was 4-tracked under Queen St to allow for an express/local combination for that stretch, with the Queen streetcar running the local part, and the DRL running express. Otherwise, it should be heavy rail.

Back