630     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Capacity through the downtown core. Speed isn't an issue. If they could, they would stick with the current system they have.

Aside from that, have a look at how they are deploying light rail. It's more akin to heavy rail than what you're seeing with Transit City. It's in a fully segregated, grade separated ROW, the entire way. In their planning, they even considered deploying light metros. They only settled on LRT because they were considering running LRT lines on some avenues (well into the future) and wanted to retain the option to inter-line. Otherwise, this could very easily have been a Metro project.

What Ottawa is proposing is more of a German type "stadbahn" system than Heavy Rail. Grade separated sections outside the core, with a tunneled section in the downtown core. I was skeptical of the plan at first, but if Ottawa is able to pull it off, and build LRT lines to Kanata, Barhaven, Orleans, and Riverside in the future, Ottawa could potentially have a great network.

It's not vision. It's unfair trade agreements that deprive us of need manufacturing revenue. And please, I do not want to hear any crap about how free trade is good for North America. Well, and a huge pool of cheap labour too.
+1

I think it has to come down to the people really wanting a solid transit network for their cities and a national one as well, because really, there's no motivation for the feds to take this issue seriously when most of our citizens seem to be happy to drive everywhere.
Well, that's the "problem" with good roads and a relative wealthy population that can afford cars.

In China, the inter-city highways don't really compare to Canadian ones, when talking about quality vs congestion, and the vast, vast majority of Chinese cannot afford cars anyway.

I'm not trying to justify Canada's stance on this, but I'm just pointing out that China is investing in this because it has to. Canada needs to, but the need isn't as pressing as in China.

What bugs me even more than Canada's myopic vision on this is Canada's relentlessly bureaucratic approach to everything. We must study it 4 times over, before considering investing cash for actual construction. And then the construction gets halted again for some governmental reason.

I read the link to transpolitic................how offensive.
Streetcars can be great for local service but Toronto has great local service it's the mass/rapid transit that it lacks.
When going place to place people want to get there easily and fast. For travel longer than about 2 km they will not consider transit if it is not competitive with private auto speed. By slowing transit it does nothing but get people turned off transit and view it as a misery to avoid as opposed to a viable, pleasant, fast, transit option.

I read the link to transpolitic................how offensive.
Streetcars can be great for local service but Toronto has great local service it's the mass/rapid transit that it lacks.
When going place to place people want to get there easily and fast. For travel longer than about 2 km they will not consider transit if it is not competitive with private auto speed. By slowing transit it does nothing but get people turned off transit and view it as a misery to avoid as opposed to a viable, pleasant, fast, transit option.

I'm not a huge fan of that theory either, but I think you've missed the point.
The idea is to use better local service to (in part) shift the built form so that fewer long trips are needed. It's flawed, but it's hardly offensive.

You're Lost! The provincial cutbacks never happened. It did happen in the alternate universe, but not here. Adam Giambrone is still running for mayor. I did not twist my ankle. There was no oil slick erupting from the Gulf of Mexico. We did have a few flakes of snow on Saturday and had to run the furnace.

The Premier of Ontario will attend the ground breaking ceremony for the start of construction on Eglinton... or... is it someone else?

54913819-d1c7f3411f25e6307074ecdcca4db8bb.4b4277ed-full.jpg

Metrolinx Board of Directors meeting in May.

;)

Last edited:
Please, no reminding me about that gawd awful show.

Interesting attempt at obfuscating the technology choices.
When you get down to it, it isn't all black and white. When you say "subway" people think underground. When you say "streetcar" people think at-grade. I wouldn't think the general public would accept calling the SRT a 'subway' even though it has the same grade-seperated features. In theory, you could call it a superway (I'd call at-grade a surway).

How about just bring over the new London buses to the suburbs of Toronto?
GO is getting some new double deckers (currently 22 Alexander Dennis Enviro500), but they won't be running in Toronto proper due to height restrictions.

It's not vision. It's unfair trade agreements that deprive us of need manufacturing revenue. And please, I do not want to hear any crap about how free trade is good for North America. Well, and a huge pool of cheap labour too.
Really? Canada has been diversifying over the last twenty years of globalization and 'free trade agreements', but the majority of trade isn't with 'large, cheap labour pools'. From 2004 to 2009, 82% down to 73% of Canadian exports went to the US; 69% down to 63% of Canadian imports came from the US.

Over the last 6 years, manufacturing revenues have been increasing yearly (barring the thumping we took in '09). At the same time, manufacturing revenues related to the US have declined.

Which free trade deal caused all this unfairness? NAFTA, Canada-Israel FTA, Canada-Chile FTA, Canada-Costa Rica FTA, Canada-EFTA FTA? If Canada didn't participate in NAFTA, you'd have seen a US-Mexico FTA that excluded Canadian interests. The Canada-Mexico part of NAFTA represents about 3% of Canada bilateral trade. Turning our noses up at Free Trade would not have stopped America shifting their manufacturing base South.

It's not unfair trade agreeements that caused manufacturing to globalize, it's unfair economic distribution. China has passed Mexico as an exporter to the US. There isn't a US-China Free Trade Agreement, so the 1990s concept of Canadian deindustrialization because of free trade is out-dated.

Until the government proves it can consistantly spend the lion share of funds efficiently, the general public will always resist increased taxation. I don't think people would resist tolls if they honestly believed it would save them money over their lifetime. Government is the most outdated area of most countries and as they set the status quo, they are the least likely to change it.

When you get down to it, it isn't all black and white. When you say "subway" people think underground. When you say "streetcar" people think at-grade. I wouldn't think the general public would accept calling the SRT a 'subway' even though it has the same grade-seperated features. In theory, you could call it a superway (I'd call at-grade a surway).

Yes and the point was that they (Metrolinx) is trying to sell the Eglinton LRT as a subway to the general public. Us transit geeks obviously know better but Joe Public generally has that very picture that you illustrated (subway = underground, streetcar/LRT = at grade) and Metrolinx is obviously trying to convince them that Eglinton is a subway according to that picture.

Someone should have asked, if Eglinton crosstown and SRT both use functionally the same technology what makes one a subway and the other not a subway. I'd be very interested in how they answered that.

Back