414     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I agree. In fact I will make a topic for that right now.

2015 Pan Am Games... I don't understand what the big deal about it is, Winnipeg's held it a few times already.

I don't think there has been any indication that Sheppard East was first because of the games. Though I expect that the Scarborough-Malvern EA may have been in advance of the other unfunded EAs (Jane, Don Mills, etc.) because of a hope that funding my suddenly appear because of the games ... and although that now looks unlikely for that 12.5 km route ... it doesn't seem a bad idea to build the first 2 km as a spur of Sheppard - particularily as it's a fairly simply project with no major structures.

Hey folks, I don't know if this has been posted, but I pulled the Transit City shapefile and Toronto neighbourhoods shapefile off Toronto Open today, and played around with it a little. Some things of note are the WWLRT and SRT are included, as well as a connection between the Jane LRT and St. Clair streetcar, which weren't in the original draft.
attachment.php

I'm not arguing against TC - I like TC - but I think it should have included the DRL East from the get-go.
I agree completely, but TC is explicitly an LRT plan so it really didn't have a reasonable role to play in the downtown. TTC should have been pushing for DRL from earlier on, not just when the Yonge extension seemed possible.

I agree completely, but TC is explicitly an LRT plan so it really didn't have a reasonable role to play in the downtown. TTC should have been pushing for DRL from earlier on, not just when the Yonge extension seemed possible.

TTC still isn't pushing the DRL. In fact, their internal documents actively encourage alteratives in every way possible. This is primarily a result of getting thrashed every year about their operating subsidy increases and about increasing fares. City politicians have an interest in the DRL, TTC itself does not.

Simply put, DRL doesn't add any new customers immediately which means for a period of time (5 years?) they will essentially have doubled the infrastructure to maintain and operate with little in the way of new income. DRL study needs to come with a 10 year operational funding plan with it.

I'm in favour of the DRL and want my income tax and property tax to go up to support it. I will be and have been voting this way.

I'm not generally in favour of referendums, but I'd be interested in exploring the possibility of people voting on accepting a small tax levy over ten years (or whatever) that would go toward funding the DRL.

Back