News   Jul 31, 2024
 779     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 712     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 528     0 

Transit City: Finch-Sheppard Corridor

I've been following this discussion here, and I must say that I'm disturbed by the heated nature of it. Please try and refrain from ascribing conspiracies or some other personal motives to each other's political points of view, here, okay? LRT advocates don't have a hate on for subways. I know because I am one.

Even if I was pro-LRT, anti-subway and anti-BRT, and cared nothing at all for connectivity of the system, I would still not support the Transit City plan.

Sounds like Giambrone is part of the problem, not the solution.

Mr. Giambrone should adjust his position, and endorse a mixed subway / LRT network for Toronto. Several LRT routes in 416 will be useful, in particular Eglinton, Finch W, Kipling, and a few routes in Scarborough.

At the same time, if funding is thought to be available for TYSSE and Yonge North subway extensions, then it is reasonable to aim for a few subway extensions within 416 to improve the system connectivity: Sheppard line to Downsview, Danforth line to STC, and perhaps pushing Sheppard line further east to replace a portion of Sheppard E LRT.

Those subway extensions will operate well below capacity limit (just as TYSSE and Yonge North) and in that sence, could be implemented as LRT instead. However, subway implementation will result in superior system connectivity and shorter travel time for passengers heading from / to the most remote parts of Toronto.

Speaking of costs: although the Sheppard to Kennedy and Danforth to STC subways will cost much more than the alternative LRT segments, the relevant comparison is between the total cost of LRT-only plan for 416 versus the total cost of mixed subway / LRT plan. I suspect that the two will differ by no more than 20 - 25%.

Last edited:

Back