1.3K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 632     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 918     0 

Train Spotting

Here's a few shots from June 2003:

IMG_5905.jpeg

2816 pulling a GO Transit consist over the bridge in Leaside.

IMG_5917.jpeg

Near Strachan Ave. heading west.

IMG_5916.jpeg

Near Strachan Ave. heading west.

For those who await such things - Bombardier released two LRVs from Kingston today, an Edmonton car and a Crosstown car. Expect both to be lifted at Ernestown later today, proceeding via CN thru Toronto. The Crosstown car will interchange to CP at Sudbury.

- Paul

In 2002 and 2003, CPR embarked on a pair of cross-Canada tours with 2816. In both years, they ran excursions from Union Station out to Milton and back, using GO equipment. In 2002, I recall, they actually ran the train all the way out to Guelph Junction and turned the whole train on the wye with the Hamilton Sub for the return trip back to Union. That's what that video was of - the train on its outbound trip climbing the escarpment just east of Campbellville.

Dan

Yes. A lot of people got off that excursion (which also stopped at Streetsville) at Milton and waited an hour or so there to get the "runpast" shots. I was on the train, and got the rare mileage instead.

When the new walkway bridge for Cooksville GO station that will open in the next month or two, you will get great shots from it for both direction. This it will be heated, get place to shoot from during the winter months.

As for Ogden St, you will catch a lot of trains today, but much more once GO goes back to 30 minute service. Sadly, catching a freight train there is very rare.

Caught a 3 power westbound train from the new Cooksville walkway and wasn't prepared for it.

No heat in the walkway and will feel a breeze when one is blowing.

Really interesting Wikipedia entry on this loco: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Pacific_2816

A personal note - 2816 has not been entirely dormant. My wife and I saw it at the Banff Via station after a run from Calgary in the summer of 2018. The heritage train, complete with 2860, was available for private charters by the wealthy and well connected (such as on that day, although no one we spoke with would confirm who had chartered it that day), even if CP has not been operating a public excursion service.

Back