News   Jul 24, 2024
 305     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 832     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 573     0 

Toronto's and Province's New 12.4B Eglinton/SRT/Sheppard Plan

What about at-grade, curbside, on the side of the corridor?

Use the corridor, save land for development, minimize construction costs. Why does this stretch have be in-median?

What about at-grade, curbside, on the side of the corridor?

Use the corridor, save land for development, minimize construction costs. Why does this stretch have be in-median?

Curbside in this case would still necessitate a widening of the road. If you want to do at-grade, I would think the best alignment would be either right beside the roadway in it's own ROW (think the Queen's Quay streetcar along Lakeshore between the Ex and Bathurst), or pushed to the far north side of the corridor, to allow for development in between Eglinton and the corridor (ie tuck it in behind a row of development).

Curbside in this case would still necessitate a widening of the road. If you want to do at-grade, I would think the best alignment would be either right beside the roadway in it's own ROW (think the Queen's Quay streetcar along Lakeshore between the Ex and Bathurst), or pushed to the far north side of the corridor, to allow for development in between Eglinton and the corridor (ie tuck it in behind a row of development).

Ooops. I was thinking ROW beside the road and said curbside. That's what I meant...like Queen's Quay. This would leave plenty of land for development, avoid serious construction disruption and reduce construction costs.

That said, I wouldn't rule out a trench. For one reason: the combination of the SRT and Eglinton. There is no way a 2-car LRV is feasible on the SRT portion. And once the trains get longer than that, at-grade (in-median at least), becomes more challenging. That and the current mayor's committment to full grade separation. Trenching is a much cheaper way to achieve grade separation. Seems to me that the idea would be quite sellable.

@Justin1000,

You seem to be arguing semantics. Cut and not cover, is not a trench? If you dig a long hole in the ground and don't cover it in, it's not a trench? Seriously? That's semantics and you know it. No need to be so argumentative, just for the sake of it.

The talk at the Metrolinx meeting today, the stations will be 1 km apart and less of them. All the stations location will be review under the plan new EA. Very few stations will see a bus terminal as plan by TTC. I support the reduction of these terminals.

The stations will be built for 3 cars from day one.

Metrolinx does not see the need to convert this LRT into a subway down the road, but it can be if it needs to happen. If it is to become a subway, the existing system will not be shut down for the conversion.

It is still unknown at this time were the east pit will be dug for the TBM’s. The TBM’s are schedule to arrive in June 2012. The Black Creek Pit is schedule for June this year.

The EA to put the surface line underground will be out this fall and completed in 12 months.

Since the Sheppard line LRT’s are dead at this time, the design of the new LRT’s will be delay as well looking at making various changes to them.

The ""FINCH"" ""LRT"" is still in Metrolinx plan and they have no reason to remove it at all contrary to what Ford wants.

There is talk the SRT conversion could be up and running before the crosstown line is ready. This line will see every 2nd train stopping at Kennedy while the other continues crosstown. Same will happen for the crosstown LRT’s.

The ""FINCH"" ""LRT"" is still in Metrolinx plan and they have no reason to remove it at all contrary to what Ford wants.
LOL ... Metrolinx didn't have construction scheduled to start on that line until late 2015 ... so perhaps nothing would change.

Did they say anything about the extension of the SRT from McCowan to Sheppard/Markham? I'm not sure Metrolinx's motives on cancelling this grade-separated segment.

So, is there a chance of overlapping bus service, seeing as there will always be people needing transit in between stops, and its not going to be nice having to go that far in the winter

There is talk the SRT conversion could be up and running before the crosstown line is ready. This line will see every 2nd train stopping at Kennedy while the other continues crosstown. Same will happen for the crosstown LRT’s.

I think this is dumb that trains in both directions stop at Kennedy and you have to transfer :mad:

Metrolinx does not see the need to convert this LRT into a subway down the road, but it can be if it needs to happen. If it is to become a subway, the existing system will not be shut down for the conversion.
I'd like to see how they plan to accomplish that!

Wait, what does this mean?
The way I read it, half of the trains in each direction will short-turn at Kennedy? So half of the SRT trains will short turn, and half of the EC trains will short turn, and you're going to make everyone get up, walk across a platform, and sit back down to continue as if it was a through train?
This clearly makes no sense!

[edit] Ah, if they mean that eastbound will short turn at Don Mills, then it starts to make some sense.

What's funny is that the forced transfer at Kennedy is removed in exchange for a forced transfer at Black Creek - Jane portion

That force transfer at Jane St is only a small fraction what takes place at Kennedy these days.

The problem going west will be based on who is in power at Sr level as well is Ford still around and is the land along the corridor still there when it come times to build the extension.

If the PC's are in power, every little hope this extension will take place at all. If Ford is still around, the extension will be underground at Huge wasted $$.

I think this is dumb that trains in both directions stop at Kennedy and you have to transfer :mad:
Ridership demand will state if all trains run 100% from point to point to stopping every other train at Kennedy.

There is an operation cost to run all trains from point to point as well running 2 cars on the SRT all day when only 1 is needed in the first place.

At the same time, how do you run a 3 car train up the SRT when the platforms are built for 2 in the first place??

At the same time, how do you run a 3 car train up the SRT when the platforms are built for 2 in the first place??

I thought they were extending the platforms? I recall seeing a rendering showing that... I'll see if I can find a link

I thought they were extending the platforms? I recall seeing a rendering showing that... I'll see if I can find a link

That's what I assumed as well. I thought the majority of the capacity increase compared to the ICTS technology was to come as a result of longer platforms (and therefore longer trains). I also think thats why they were planning on potentially eliminating Bellamy station, right? Because it was so close to STC?

Back