Toronto Yorkdale Shopping Centre | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

Why would they expand there when they just re-did the entrance beside Holt? Seems like they just wasted a ton of cash.

The expansion will come down to just before the existing entrances into Holts on the westside....the vallet parking will be reconfigured and will remain in the southend of the mall. The old mall entrance just above the Holts entrance will serve as the new corridor leading out into the expansion area towards Sears, then it will turn 90degrees north and connect with the existing mall entrance just to the right of Sears.

The expansion will come down to just before the existing entrances into Holts on the westside....the vallet parking will be reconfigured and will remain in the southend of the mall. The old mall entrance just above the Holts entrance will serve as the new corridor leading out into the expansion area towards Sears, then it will turn 90degrees north and connect with the existing mall entrance just to the right of Sears.

Got any maps/visuals to make this easier to, um, visualize?

Got any maps/visuals to make this easier to, um, visualize?

CC I'll post a clean leasing plan (without potential tenant names) in the next few days...waiting on one from Oxford that I can post here.

Here's a preliminary plan outlining the expansion. Note that the actual unit sizes as shown on the plan may change as the CRU space gets leased out. As I've stated earlier, adding the 2 level parking deck that will sit on this new ground floor retail space does make a lot of sense. I'd like to see them do this throughout the existing mall, in turn freeing up space around the mall perimeter to then add the necessary residential density (mix of mid and highrise).

expansionplant.jpg

By bauhaus at 2010-08-10

Verrrry interesting! Now do you happen to have any similar plans for Square One? I have this one someone posted a while back:

2259848074_916062bbbd.jpg

The parking strikes me as the oddest part. The rest of the mall is pretty tall, 3 or 4 stories in places. This addtion can't be that tall if they are adding parking ontop.
Sounds like the food court will get some work as well, at least to close up the window at the west end?

The parking strikes me as the oddest part. The rest of the mall is pretty tall, 3 or 4 stories in places. This addtion can't be that tall if they are adding parking ontop.
Sounds like the food court will get some work as well, at least to close up the window at the west end?

Will try and dig up a render showing the exterior elevations with the parking deck.

Why not just put the parking underground? Because it's just cheaper to put it above?

Why not just put the parking underground? Because it's just cheaper to put it above?

Yes...that's why they built the massive parking deck at the east-end of the property a few years ago. I don't have the $/stall numbers handy, but building underground parking is the most expensive option. If someone has the numbers regarding parking scenarios, please share them. The number I always hear is that a single underground parking stall costs $30,000.

And I suppose that another dissuading factor is that the perceived aesthetics and safety of decked/"underground" mall parking has been questionable, i.e. they feel like oppressive, scary places to get mugged or raped in. Go anyplace where they have both overground and underground options; almost invariably, people will choose overground...

Yes...that's why they built the massive parking deck at the east-end of the property a few years ago. I don't have the $/stall numbers handy, but building underground parking is the most expensive option. If someone has the numbers regarding parking scenarios, please share them. The number I always hear is that a single underground parking stall costs $30,000.

I would use $25-30k for above ground in a dedicated garage and maybe double that for underground. Mall operators aren't big fans of underground parking because it's tough to convince customers to use them due to security issues and the fact that there's no direct connection to the mall. For example, the above-grade parking at Fairview has bridges directly into Sears, which is convienient. Most mall undergound parking (there isn't much) has crappy elevator connections.

does anybody know potential tenants for this new expansion? What do you guys want to see put into this expansion or what do you think they will add? Anybody got any idea?

Last edited:
sorry for the double posting but does anybody know when this is going to start or what retailers will be included in the expansion?

What is the tallest CONDO they could build directly beside Yorkdale. I understand that height is a issue because of the downsview airport. But could they build a 10 floor building with a Podium underneith? Then they could build underground parking that could service both the residents and the Mall with direct mall access.

is there any news of if this expansion to yorkdale is going to happen and what possible tenants it will have?

Back