Toronto Yorkdale Shopping Centre | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

The theaters is the 90% of the reason I'm at Yorkdale. There isn't anything else to take the load in the area either if they did shut down.

and plus.. they got rid of LCBO for a reason.. same reason why they want to get rid of the movie theater... it is bringing in the wrong crowd to the mall. they want to move the food court the where the movie theater is now..

Bayview Village has an LCBO - a quite nice LCBO at that too. Does it bring in the "wrong crowd"?

Since when does LCBO bring in the wrong crowd? The population going into the stores don't stand out to me as any different than the general population. I haven't noticed any demographical difference.

Was there a transit terminal of sorts at STC before the SRT was built? Though even so, STC was probably, in spirit, the first true "mallrat-type" mall in Toronto, thanks in part to the skylit food court--whereas Yorkdale belonged to a more cold-war-genteel pre-food-court era, before stuff like McDonalds and Burger King hit town. What passed for dining draws were the upper-level restaurants connected to Eatons + Simpsons, plus whatever ice cream at Laura Secord or deli and related fare in front of Dominion (and the aforementioned Noshery Encore, and was there a pancake joint as well? Can't precisely remember). It wasn't until the mid-80s Sears addition that Yorkdale really started to address mallrat-era reality, furthered when the Yorkdale subway connector became a continuous mall extension in its own right with--finally!--a true food court Yorkdale could call its own. But even then, the net result was more to turn that connector part into a mallrat tail wagging the Yorkdale dog--beyond the Holt Renfrew zone, Yorkdale remained fairly staid. And to some degree that remains the case; i.e. with the most recent expansions, we'd be talking about an "East Yorkdale" vs a "West Yorkdale". Mallrat types vs mall-walker types, I suppose...

Of sorts, yes...there were a few bus routes funnelling through it. Of course, in the early 70s, other than Olde Agincourt and stuff farther south like the Ben Jungle, STC's suburban hinterland was still almost entirely farmland...the Milliken/Woodside/Malvern/Rouge areas didn't have as many bus routes.

The East and West Yorkdales are the two impressions I was talking about earlier. Most malls have a few wings or entrance nubs filled with service stores and snack/refreshment food places and jeans/electronics/hair salons establishments, but Yorkdale has most of these uses clumped together between the subway and the food court, leaving the rest of the mall mostly uncontaminated with ancillary stuff or stores for younger people.

and plus.. they got rid of LCBO for a reason.. same reason why they want to get rid of the movie theater... it is bringing in the wrong crowd to the mall. they want to move the food court the where the movie theater is now..

The LCBO crowd is precisely the crowd they should target...it's the Beer Store crowd that wouldn't be a good fit. Today's LCBO crowd probably isn't the same crowd as it was 20 or 30 years ago, though.

Getting rid of the theatre won't do anything...if anything, the "wrong'' crowd would intensify if a new, large food court was built. They'd need to get rid of every store that appeals to 12-30 year olds.

ive been to a few of the board of directors meetings.. so i know some insiders. next two things to happen in yorkdale.. two high end retailers will appear.. maybe dior..

How about 4-6s townhouses with several floors of parking underneath? If the flight path is the issue, urbanizing the area would be a start--as long as the "Avenues" had retail on the ground floor.

It's a pity the subway wasn't built right through the mall--would be very nice to simply exit the station into the mall directly.

I think that based on our suggestions, we (that's a royal we) would like to see:

1) extend the mall westward, multi-level stores with apartments, offices, and condos above to connect with and provide a better pedestrian interface with Dufferin Street and the Dufferin buses.
2) multiple level garage to the north, facing the 401.
3) better connection and stores connecting with the Yorkdale subway station, with no steps this time.

What we could have, but not a show stopper are:

a) apartments, offices, and condos above the old stores,
b) replace part of the east garage with multi-level stores and walkways connecting the rest of the mall and the subway station.
c) better entrance to connect with the 47B and 47C Lansdowne buses, other than the Yorkdale station stop.
d) have the south side of the mall more pedestrian friendly.

if yorkdale did expand they should deffinetly get higher end stores maybe a couple??? they already have louis vuitton and juicy couture plus holt renfrew so why not get gucci, chanel and all the rest??? If they did expand a forever xxi, hollister, abercrombie, urban outfitters and other stores to attract more teens to the mall (I dont mean the mall rat teens i mean the ones who like to spend mula like at sherway :p)

Shades of this guy:
Basil_Fawlty.jpg

Early plans show an additional 130,000ft to be wedged between Sears and Holt Renfrew, with about 30-40 additional retail spaces ranging in size and use (yes some new restaurants). There will be two addional parking decks to be added on top of the new retail expansion area, and the existing parking field directly south of Sears will remain....this is certainly a good part of the plan.

Early plans show an additional 130,000ft to be wedged between Sears and Holt Renfrew, with about 30-40 additional retail spaces ranging in size and use (yes some new restaurants). There will be two addional parking decks to be added on top of the new retail expansion area, and the existing parking field directly south of Sears will remain....this is certainly a good part of the plan.

Why would they expand there when they just re-did the entrance beside Holt? Seems like they just wasted a ton of cash.

Back