Toronto Yonge Sheppard Centre Renovations and Expansion | 123.13m | 35s | RioCan | BDP Quadrangle

Chipotle really seems to have lost the momentum they had a few years ago. I just hope the Blaze Pizza opens. They have a location at Yonge and Dundas Square, but going to Y&D is like crawling into someone's asshole.
I think the biggest problem is they don't take debit cards only cash or credit. A lot of people don't carry cash around and fewer people have crdit cards now.

Smelling fresh pretzel at YongeSheppardCentre Mall lately? Mo's Golden Pretzel opened last week,.... beside trying the occasional samples,... you can score a free pretzel just for signing up for their loyalty program:
http://mosgoldenpretzel.com/golden-rewards-program.html
http://mosgoldenpretzel.com/
IMG_8828.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8828.JPG
    IMG_8828.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 990
I've tried them; they're large and very good but not cheap at $3.75 each. Here's a deal for you; only $2. every Tues. To get a "free" pretzel after signing up, you have to buy 9 pretzels at regular price or 13 at $2. Each pretzel is about 483 calories before toppings and very high in sodium when salted. They brush melted butter on it and a lot of salt sticks to it. You can ask for no butter or lightly salted to keep the counts down.
The pretzels will keep us going until the other outlets open in the food court. I spoke to contractors in some of the units this week and they're close to completion with the exception of Popeye's Chicken which was a bare unit when I last looked.

Love Flock. Good to see them expanding!

After a long, much anticipated wait, 3 new companies opened today in the food court; Villa Medina (Middle eastern), Butterchick (East Indian) training staff and ready for diners Dec. 22, and Thai Express. Everything looked very fresh and they both had lineups through the lunch hours. That leaves Popeye's and Potatopia to open in that section and 2 units still not leased. If you're tired of the same old at Emerald Park food court or other food outlets on Yonge St., drop by and get some good food at reasonable prices.
DSCN0408.JPG
DSCN0409.JPG
DSCN0410.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0408.JPG
    DSCN0408.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 902
  • DSCN0409.JPG
    DSCN0409.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 898
  • DSCN0410.JPG
    DSCN0410.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 950
After a long, much anticipated wait, 3 new companies opened today in the food court; Villa Medina (Middle eastern), Butterchick (East Indian) training staff and ready for diners Dec. 22, and Thai Express. Everything looked very fresh and they both had lineups through the lunch hours. That leaves Popeye's and Potatopia to open in that section and 2 units still not leased.

ThaiExpress was busy,.... the Grill It Up (between ButterChick & VillaMadina) seems to have bailed. Lots of these lower wage food and retail places wondering how to deal with raising minimum wage.

On Yonge frontage, should keep an eye on BasilBox, currently 4 BasilBox in GTA but opening 2 new BasilBox in NorthYorkCentre at same time seems odd,.... the new BasilBox at northeast corner of Yonge & Finch (former Scotia Bank) is much further ahead (City-wise).

Last edited:
I had doubts about Potatopia in unit 204 and Popeye's Chicken in unit 206 opening as I hadn't seen any equipment installed, while 3 new food retailers had strong openings this week. I just received confirmation that Potatopia and Popeye's will open early 2018.

Amnesia;
I haven't heard from Riocan about Chipotle but it's easy to speculate. They still haven't recovered from the health scares in 2015 which cut their stock price in half. They had forecast 195-210 new store openings in 2017 but only opened a number under the low end of 195. With a new ceo, they're going to slow things down and have forecast 130-150 new stores in 2018. They're going to spend more on training and examining their menu to see where they can make improvements. They are slowly improving sales and profit as net profit rose to $19.6 million, or 69 cents per share, from $7.8 million, or 27 cents per share a year earlier while revenue rose 8.8 percent to $1.13 billion.
They had a large 2003 sq. ft. unit with it's high overhead compared to the avg. 350-400 sq. ft. units in the food court and they probably thought that there wouldn't be sufficient foot traffic to support it compared to existing downtown locations with larger office crowds.

Has the tunnel to the Madison Centre reopened yet?

Update: No, it has not.

Last edited:
NEW RETAIL UPDATE:
Five Guys burgers and fries is moving into the 2,000 sq. ft. unit that Chipotle left. With seating and Yonge St. exposure, they should do well. What-A-Bagel is coming to a 4100 sq. ft. unit on the Sheppard side. Great wood fired bagels. Kin Kin bubble tea, buns and snacks is coming to a 1300 sq. ft. unit next to Shoppers Drug Mart.
It's going to be an interesting lineup fronting Yonge St. Flock Rotisserie, Basil Box, IQ Foods, Five Guys, Blaze Pizza and Sweet Jesus icecream. They should be open late spring. Start working out to get ready for the foodie road trip.

Back