Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Hear, Hear! :p

The Yonge Extension to Richmond Hill will not kill Richmond Hill Go. The way it's going currently, it will kill itself. Right now, frequencies are horrible and peak-hour, making the system very unreliable and unattractive. When you put on top of that the fact that Go fares are more expensive than YRT fares, and you'll probably have to take the TTC on the last leg of your trip anyways, it's much more economical to either take Viva Blue to Finch, then take the subway. Either that, or just drive to Finch station and save $3. Put on top of that stack the fact that the Go train is none too speedy with it's slow, diesel locomotives and relatively heavy carriages.

Unless Go/Metrolinx addresses these problems, RH Go will die on it's own. If they do address these issues, RH Go will be the perfect express option for people taking N-S trips.

I never saw any petetions to improve the Go RH line the way I saw for the RHC extension. I wonder why.

The Richmond Hill GO is well useds for its rush hour service and the GO 2020 plan has the service going to all day service. Why would a service that is well used be cancelled and why would people create petitions for something they have no problem with. The petitions for the Yonge line were against BRT. There were no meaningful petitions for a subway at all before the BRT plan popped up.

I never saw any petetions to improve the Go RH line the way I saw for the RHC extension. I wonder why.

Probably because the subway is far more useful than the GO train for those living in this part of the city. Let the subway serve the Yonge corridor, and let the RH GO train divert bus trips originating in Scarborough and North York. As a Torontonian, if I have to give up my seat on the subway anyway, I'd rather it be to someone who actually lives along Yonge and should be using the subway than someone who lives at Warden and Finch who has no better way to get downtown than on Yonge St. Let RH GO take care of the latter trip, and extend the subway to Highway 7.

As a fellow York Regionite perhaps you could help me understand why a subway was 'chosen' for improved transit in the region rather than something like say GO or LRT's? The new subway extensions barely break into the southern portion of York Region in areas that currently have no local demand for a subway. People will still have to take transit or their car to the subway station. What of the people in Northern York region? How do you think people living in King City or Keswick feel about paying for a subway that they'll likely never use.

The numbers (particularly for the Spadina extension) do not bear out the type of ridership that demands a subway, but York wanted a subway and had to find a way to justify it. All the development around VCC and RHC in the past had been big box and non transit friendly. Ironic how suddenly York saw the light of sustainable development right around the same time that they began petetioning for a subway.

I'm not saying a subway to RHC is wrong but GO improvements should have been looked at first.

Well yes, when you have a region as large as York you're going to have to please some and (perhaps temporarily) upset others. I don't think most of those in King City or other places would be pleased with the idea of paying indirectly for the extension, however I do think that people to the north are still benefited from even both extensions because currently Viva Blue runs to Newmarket. I know plenty of riders who bus all the way down from Newmarket to get to Toronto. Thus, the extension still works for them because it gets them to their destinations just that much faster.

My only problem with this would be that if you're going to travel south of Highway 7, you'd have to pay a TTC fare even if you're just going to Steeles. I do hope that YRT has been thinking about this and will provide a solution (like keeping the 99 operational south of 7). In the end, fare integration most likely has to happen for this extension to really live up to its potential.

The areas from Steeles to Highway 7 right now aren't built up, true, but whether it's going to be developed because a subway is coming, or whether a subway is coming because it's going to be developed, either way it's going to end up being a stretch of fairly intense development in the coming years. I don't think 50,000 new residents and plenty of new businesses is a number to shrug off.

Even the intersection of Yonge and 16th is seeing 5 (I think..) new high rise condos being built right at the south-east side of the intersection.

The reason why I believe that the subway extension is still a good idea in contrast to GO improvements is because there are still a large amount of people who currently live or work in North York. Nobody is saying that everyone who gets on at Finch goes to Union. There are people who travel from middle of Richmond Hill to Sheppard. GO won't do anything for them and so the subway is their only bet. Fact of the matter is, extending the subway past Steeles may initiate the much needed conversation among the general public about the arbitrary double-fare barrier that currently is putting a strangle-hold on potential new ridership.

Why we have such a strong 905 vs 416 mentality, I have no idea. Steeles is not where the end of the world is. The notion that nothing but farm lands and rich folk live north of Steeles is worse than the American notion that all Canadians live in igloos and eat blubber.

Edit: That said, I still believe that this extension and the GO improvements both need to happen, post haste.

Last edited:
As a fellow York Regionite perhaps you could help me understand why a subway was 'chosen' for improved transit in the region rather than something like say GO or LRT's? The new subway extensions barely break into the southern portion of York Region in areas that currently have no local demand for a subway. People will still have to take transit or their car to the subway station. What of the people in Northern York region? How do you think people living in King City or Keswick feel about paying for a subway that they'll likely never use.

The numbers (particularly for the Spadina extension) do not bear out the type of ridership that demands a subway, but York wanted a subway and had to find a way to justify it. All the development around VCC and RHC in the past had been big box and non transit friendly. Ironic how suddenly York saw the light of sustainable development right around the same time that they began petetioning for a subway.

I'm not saying a subway to RHC is wrong but GO improvements should have been looked at first.

Both Spadina and Yonge need to be extended past Finch/Downsview and York Region has been responsible in acknowledging this (compared to how criminally irresponsible Toronto has been regarding recent transit plans)...do you really expect both lines to stop at Steeles because York Region isn't fully developed? What the hell do you think the subway extensions are partially for? Imagine that, building developments and transit at the same time! How screwball European!

Going to Vaughan means basically another 2km - a trivial addition. GO serves 'the suburbs' but is of limited use, particularly since virtually everyone in the suburbs has to drive to a station. You should check out what's actually proposed for some of the sites along the subways in York. Before you say they're only proposing it to get the subway extensions or that it'll never happen, remember what Yonge & Sheppard or Finch looked like before the subway extension...a whole bunch of bungalows. Have you ever even been to Thornhill? The only real issue with the extensions is the double fare, not the amount of existing or planned development (even if the subway isn't double fare, the YRT feeder routes are, for now, anyway).

In absolutely no way does a subway extension into York preempt better bus service in Keswick (which would be paid for by people who never use it).

Probably because the subway is far more useful than the GO train for those living in this part of the city. Let the subway serve the Yonge corridor, and let the RH GO train divert bus trips originating in Scarborough and North York. As a Torontonian, if I have to give up my seat on the subway anyway, I'd rather it be to someone who actually lives along Yonge and should be using the subway than someone who lives at Warden and Finch who has no better way to get downtown than on Yonge St. Let RH GO take care of the latter trip, and extend the subway to Highway 7.

Are you saying that with this subway extension that we will see the type of ridership patterns really only ever seen in Toronto south of Bloor. That is numerous short trips throughout the day with high turn over of passengers and multi directional travel, vs a commuter type travel pattern that is centred on peak travel in one direction with little or no use outside of that time?

Will the new residents at RHC be taking the subway 3, 4+ times a day for everything and anything from shopping to entertainment (not likely given the movie theatre nearby) to whatever? I don't buy it. I mean if that were the case then why are they short turning 2 out of every 3 trains at Finch.

Furthermore all the ridership projections I have seen do not add up to subway level of service even with the massive development plans at RHC and Langstaff Centre. And I still have not seen an origin-destination chart that shows the vast majority of riders that get on at Finch (or whatever) get off somewhere between Sheppard and say St Clair, vs south of Bloor and in particular stations like Dundas, Queen, King which are a short walk away from Union. My experience has been that most people are headed for the downtown core anway and this leads me to believe that the comment about GO not serving riders headed, allegedly, to Sheppard, Eglinton, etc is a red herring.

I never said that the subway extensions were wrong but that I felt that the justification for them was flawed. York has failed to show how and why these areas could not be served adequately by LRT and absolutely had to have a subway. This is why I say that York 'chose' a subway and built a case around it rather than trying to improve other aspects such as go and a full build out of the VIVA system.

Are you saying that with this subway extension that we will see the type of ridership patterns really only ever seen in Toronto south of Bloor. That is numerous short trips throughout the day with high turn over of passengers and multi directional travel, vs a commuter type travel pattern that is centred on peak travel in one direction with little or no use outside of that time?

Will the new residents at RHC be taking the subway 3, 4+ times a day for everything and anything from shopping to entertainment (not likely given the movie theatre nearby) to whatever? I don't buy it. I mean if that were the case then why are they short turning 2 out of every 3 trains at Finch.

Furthermore all the ridership projections I have seen do not add up to subway level of service even with the massive development plans at RHC and Langstaff Centre. And I still have not seen an origin-destination chart that shows the vast majority of riders that get on at Finch (or whatever) get off somewhere between Sheppard and say St Clair, vs south of Bloor and in particular stations like Dundas, Queen, King which are a short walk away from Union. My experience has been that most people are headed for the downtown core anway and this leads me to believe that the comment about GO not serving riders headed, allegedly, to Sheppard, Eglinton, etc is a red herring.

I never said that the subway extensions were wrong but that I felt that the justification for them was flawed. York has failed to show how and why these areas could not be served adequately by LRT and absolutely had to have a subway. This is why I say that York 'chose' a subway and built a case around it rather than trying to improve other aspects such as go and a full build out of the VIVA system.

All of this is about winning votes...

You don't see this in TRUE SUCCESFUL transit network.

New York, Chicago, Paris (RER), London (Suburb station have the ridership which is not the case here) etc

Good for York but it shows how pathetic politicians we have and its all about their own agenda rather than working for everyone...

Well yes, when you have a region as large as York you're going to have to please some and (perhaps temporarily) upset others. I don't think most of those in King City or other places would be pleased with the idea of paying indirectly for the extension, however I do think that people to the north are still benefited from even both extensions because currently Viva Blue runs to Newmarket. I know plenty of riders who bus all the way down from Newmarket to get to Toronto. Thus, the extension still works for them because it gets them to their destinations just that much faster.

My only problem with this would be that if you're going to travel south of Highway 7, you'd have to pay a TTC fare even if you're just going to Steeles. I do hope that YRT has been thinking about this and will provide a solution (like keeping the 99 operational south of 7). In the end, fare integration most likely has to happen for this extension to really live up to its potential.

The areas from Steeles to Highway 7 right now aren't built up, true, but whether it's going to be developed because a subway is coming, or whether a subway is coming because it's going to be developed, either way it's going to end up being a stretch of fairly intense development in the coming years. I don't think 50,000 new residents and plenty of new businesses is a number to shrug off.

Even the intersection of Yonge and 16th is seeing 5 (I think..) new high rise condos being built right at the south-east side of the intersection.

The reason why I believe that the subway extension is still a good idea in contrast to GO improvements is because there are still a large amount of people who currently live or work in North York. Nobody is saying that everyone who gets on at Finch goes to Union. There are people who travel from middle of Richmond Hill to Sheppard. GO won't do anything for them and so the subway is their only bet. Fact of the matter is, extending the subway past Steeles may initiate the much needed conversation among the general public about the arbitrary double-fare barrier that currently is putting a strangle-hold on potential new ridership.

Why we have such a strong 905 vs 416 mentality, I have no idea. Steeles is not where the end of the world is. The notion that nothing but farm lands and rich folk live north of Steeles is worse than the American notion that all Canadians live in igloos and eat blubber.
Edit: That said, I still believe that this extension and the GO improvements both need to happen, post haste.

I agree fare integration should be a priority. Hopefully Metrolinx can address this.

However as I stated above I have not seen the ridership origin-destination numbers that show that a vast majority of riders boarding at finch are not travelling to the core. Plus even if there is a significant number of people that do then wouldn't off loading the passengers headed downtown to GO benefit them by providing more space on the trains for their trip. Experience though, tells me that a significant number of the riders are heading for the core.

This is not a 905/416 fight. Hell I live in York and I would directly benefit from the Spadina extension. It has to do with how do we best serve the needs of the passengers north of Finch? If the majority of them are headed to the core then why aren't we proposing an express style system that can bring them to their destination as quickly as possible. A ride from RHC to the core on subway is likely to take 40+ mins is that really efficient? My criticism has nothing to do with 905/416 and everything to do with distance and time for travel. Hell it takes the same amount of time to travel to the core from Kipling. Ideally riders from that area should also be taking Go into the core.

Both Spadina and Yonge need to be extended past Finch/Downsview and York Region has been responsible in acknowledging this (compared to how criminally irresponsible Toronto has been regarding recent transit plans)...do you really expect both lines to stop at Steeles because York Region isn't fully developed? What the hell do you think the subway extensions are partially for? Imagine that, building developments and transit at the same time! How screwball European!

Going to Vaughan means basically another 2km - a trivial addition. GO serves 'the suburbs' but is of limited use, particularly since virtually everyone in the suburbs has to drive to a station. You should check out what's actually proposed for some of the sites along the subways in York. Before you say they're only proposing it to get the subway extensions or that it'll never happen, remember what Yonge & Sheppard or Finch looked like before the subway extension...a whole bunch of bungalows. Have you ever even been to Thornhill? The only real issue with the extensions is the double fare, not the amount of existing or planned development (even if the subway isn't double fare, the YRT feeder routes are, for now, anyway).

In absolutely no way does a subway extension into York preempt better bus service in Keswick (which would be paid for by people who never use it).

But they don't, the ridership projections can be served with an LRT. York chose a subway extension b/c they felt that the subway had a 'cache' of some sort. "Hey look we have 2/3 subway stations in our city aren't we urban!!!". Plus York has been just as irresponsible with it's focus on a subway (they only get partial credit for VIVA) when there is and won't be demand for a subway for the next 50 or more years than Toronto has with it's focus on streetcars and LRT while ignoring the need for subways (Central Eglinton and DRL come to mind). You can't praise one city and belittle the other when both are ignoring the realities of what is the right solution for a region.

Sheppard and Spadina have shown us the folly of building subways and expecting transit oriented development to follow. Residents around the Sheppard line are still complaining about the density being built in there formerly low density 'hoods (what did you expect when the subway was built?) and new residents are not using the subway system as much as was expected. How quaint of you to revive the meme "too screwball european!".

Weather the service is GO or subway there will still be a fraction of people who will be driving to the station, otherwise why would they build those mega lots at Steeles West, 407, RHC, and Langstaff. I don't follow your point there. I have seen the plans and still hold a I'll believe it when I see it stance. I can see lots of opposition to the 30 storey towers proposed for the VCC site coming. Plus I don't think Walmart or the AMC complex will be going anywhere nor will they be all to pleased to see thier parking lots developed into a 'downtown'. I can't forsee any development that will completely take away the car centric nature of the area.

It's this incremental approach that traps us. It's only 2km to VCC why not go there. It's only a few more km to Vaughan Mills and Canada's wonderland, lets go there. The new Vaughan hospital will be less than 2 km away from that (Jane and Major Mac) let's go there too. At what point do we say stop? At what point do we say "Maybe it's better if we invested that money in a regional service for those heading to the core and a service such as LRT that will allow us to serve a greater area".

But they don't, the ridership projections can be served with an LRT. York chose a subway extension b/c they felt that the subway had a 'cache' of some sort. "Hey look we have 2/3 subway stations in our city aren't we urban!!!". Plus York has been just as irresponsible with it's focus on a subway (they only get partial credit for VIVA) when there is and won't be demand for a subway for the next 50 or more years than Toronto has with it's focus on streetcars and LRT while ignoring the need for subways (Central Eglinton and DRL come to mind). You can't praise one city and belittle the other when both are ignoring the realities of what is the right solution for a region.

Again, do you really expect the subway extensions to carry the maximum theoretical capacity of the line? I bet you won't apply that criteria to an LRT line, which will invariably cover stretches easily served by buses. Both Spadina and Yonge need to be extended and Hwy 7 makes a natural (and artificial, due to Viva and development) terminus for both lines. You should come up with some shred of rationale for terminating the lines south of Hwy 7, but you don't seem up to the task.

No, Eglinton does not 'need a subway' more than Yonge needs to be extended north of Finch to replace that ridiculous parade of buses and comical overabundance of overlapping routes.

Sheppard and Spadina have shown us the folly of building subways and expecting transit oriented development to follow. Residents around the Sheppard line are still complaining about the density being built in there formerly low density 'hoods (what did you expect when the subway was built?) and new residents are not using the subway system as much as was expected. How quaint of you to revive the meme "too screwball european!".

The reality is that literally about 5 people oppose development along Sheppard, only they are quite vocal and trample over the silent majority. Sheppard East is actually one of the densest corridors in the city and no transit line outside the YUS loop has ever been run out to as much as exists around and east of Don Mills station. Sheppard is seeing vast amounts of development, even without including all the density unlocked in North York Centre. Spadina is seeing none because the city hasn't permitted any, except along Sheppard east of Downsview, where the city has permitted it. The Downsview area is seeing substantial developments. Sheppard's ridership was forecasted to be higher but the line was also supposed to be much longer...it doesn't change the fact that transit use went up along the corridor and continues to grow, even though only a fraction of the line was built. The true meme here is stupid anti-subway arguments that employ neither facts nor common sense. Everything you say can be paraphrased as "OMG, teh 905 doesn't deserve teh subway!!!"

Weather the service is GO or subway there will still be a fraction of people who will be driving to the station, otherwise why would they build those mega lots at Steeles West, 407, RHC, and Langstaff. I don't follow your point there. I have seen the plans and still hold a I'll believe it when I see it stance. I can see lots of opposition to the 30 storey towers proposed for the VCC site coming. Plus I don't think Walmart or the AMC complex will be going anywhere nor will they be all to pleased to see thier parking lots developed into a 'downtown'. I can't forsee any development that will completely take away the car centric nature of the area.

The point about driving to stations was *your* point. Your argument makes so little sense, no wonder even you can't follow it.

The entire city is autocentric, all the more reason to expand appealing and effective transit infrastructure like the subway network.

Wal*Mart will be very pleased to have thousands of new customers at their doorstep and see the value of their property climb in anticipation of redevelopment. You're free to pretend the development isn't happening when the cranes pop up on the horizon.

It's this incremental approach that traps us. It's only 2km to VCC why not go there. It's only a few more km to Vaughan Mills and Canada's wonderland, lets go there. The new Vaughan hospital will be less than 2 km away from that (Jane and Major Mac) let's go there too. At what point do we say stop? At what point do we say "Maybe it's better if we invested that money in a regional service for those heading to the core and a service such as LRT that will allow us to serve a greater area".

You really don't know why terminating at Hwy 7, a growth node with a connection to Viva, is better than stopping in a field in the middle of nowhere at Steeles? Seriously? Have you never been to a city or used a vehicle before?

Regional services are being expanded along with the subway extensions. Both are being done, both need to be done. Money for one project is not available for other projects, by the way. York Region also has future LRT plans, plans that will complement the subway extensions, not replace, them, which they cannot.

... You should come up with some shred of rationale for terminating the lines south of Hwy 7 ...

... You really don't know why terminating at Hwy 7, a growth node with a connection to Viva, is better than stopping in a field in the middle of nowhere at Steeles?

Extending Yonge line to Hwy 7 is reasonable. It is not mandatory - an alternative is to extend it to Steeles and run BRT or LRT north of it. But at least, subway to Richmond Hill Centre will have added benefits to show for the extra cost. Substantial level of ridership exists in that corridor already, and will certainly grow if the subway is built.

Regarding Spadina subway to VCC - someone has to come with a shred of rationale to justify that investment. The current ridership in this corridor barely utilizes a bus on 15-min headways (VIVA Orange). What kind of development can be expected at VCC or around it, to fill even 10% of the subway's capacity? Steeles West would be much more logical terminus for that line, providing subway service to York U without making it a transit hub, connecting with busy Jane and Steeles transit routes, and hosting York Region routes such as Hwy 7 West and Jane North.

Extending Yonge line to Hwy 7 is reasonable. It is not mandatory - an alternative is to extend it to Steeles and run BRT or LRT north of it.

Finch and Highway 7 are natural terminus points for the subway because there are significant east-west links there. Finch has the planned Finch LRT and possibly a regional transportation use of the hydro-corridor, and Highway 7 has the Langstaff GO, Highway 7 BRT, and Highway 407 GO. Steeles has nothing.

Regarding Spadina subway to VCC - someone has to come with a shred of rationale to justify that investment. The current ridership in this corridor barely utilizes a bus on 15-min headways (VIVA Orange). What kind of development can be expected at VCC or around it, to fill even 10% of the subway's capacity? Steeles West would be much more logical terminus for that line, providing subway service to York U without making it a transit hub, connecting with busy Jane and Steeles transit routes, and hosting York Region routes such as Hwy 7 West and Jane North.

Rationale implies rational, remember.

If we based transit projects solely on current ridership, nothing would ever be built. Infrastructure must be built for the future. Arguments about X% capacity miss the point entirely...these arguments are not slavishly followed anywhere else in the world and are not used even for other types of transit projects in Toronto, so why apply arbitrary and utterly meaningless standards of "justification" here? Lines must end at logical terminus points and a human being, not a calculator, must decide if extending up to the next logical terminus is worthwhile. If the fare boundary is removed, Steeles makes for an illogical terminus. There's nothing there and there never will be.

Local development along a line will not generate as many rides as buses and cars can feed in...rides due to development are always the bonus. Neither Steeles nor Jane is remotely busy at Jane & Steeles...Jane's ridership drops to virtually zero at that point and Steeles isn't much higher. Terminating a line at a black hole like Jane & Steeles is not the way to build a city, but it does obliterate some of the benefits of transit infrastructure.

Bringing the subway another 2km to Hwy 7 was the *only* way to get the to-York U stretch, or anything at all, built. Period. All of the transit dollars flowing or promised to flow today for a variety of projects hinged around these 2km, which just happen to terminate at a major growth node (where growth is designated and permitted to occur) and a Viva line along Hwy 7, instead of a UPS depot in the middle of nowhere with terrible links to other corridors, no decent development potential, and no existing ridership base to build upon. Transit use beyond poor people forced to take it must be created and coaxed into existence and this simply would not happen at Jane & Steeles. Yes, it can happen 2km north. That's just how it works.

Finch and Highway 7 are natural terminus points for the subway because there are significant east-west links there. Finch has the planned Finch LRT and possibly a regional transportation use of the hydro-corridor, and Highway 7 has the Langstaff GO, Highway 7 BRT, and Highway 407 GO. Steeles has nothing.

Steeles / Yonge is not exactly nothing: busy routes 60 and 53, and big Centerpoint plaza. Finch transit is busier than Steeles, but not by a huge margin.

However, it is true that a terminus at RH Centre will create more connections than a terminus at Steeles.

Back