Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I really doubt that a re-examination at this point will lead to cancelling any portion of the line outright. However, putting a hold on anything past Steeles until a new dowtown line is in service from Danforth to the core would make sense. This would give the great bunker they're planning at Steeles a vocation, if just for a few years.

I agree on that point. If we don't want to spend billions extending the line up to Highway 7, we should at least in the interim extend the line north up to Steeles. That I think everyone can agree on as a good interim solution for the insane amount of buses that go from Steeles down to Finch.

The rest of the line can be extended in a phase 2, once a DRL is built up to say Eglinton.

Extending the line to Steeles should only cost a maximum of $500M, due to the insanely large station at Steeles. Most of the length from Steeles to Finch is planned to be done as cut and cover, so no need for boring machines.

Not going to happen. York region wants the subway extension more than Toronto does. There is no way the funding will be in place for a Steeles extension Toronto doesn't really have a priority for while the extension to Richmond Hill that York region really wants is put on hold.

The world doesnt revolve around york region. Metrolinx and province will have the final say in what gets built. York is already getting 1 extension, so they can wait a bit for the second one.

I think ppl are just jealous that york region is getting subways and they're getting LRTs (if that even), they'd rather take money from the extension so that they could have their own subway (ahem DRL), and then leave York region short at the steeles border with LRT, just because they believe it is Toronto's god given right to have subways and if they can't have them built, no one should be able to build one. That's how i'm perceiving this, I really find it so hard to believe when people say that LRT could easily accommodate the extension past steeles but woah! at steeles it gets too busy so let's build the subway to steeles, considering most of the buses traveling down yonge are from York Region, including GO buses and Brampton buses...correct me if i;m wrong but ttc only has the 60, 53, 97, and the cummer/drewry buses right?

YRT has 10 routes alone, and i'm not too sure about GO.

I am all for extending this line any length, as long as they extend the sheppard line eastwards too.

Heh "only". That's where most of the traffic comes from.

I think ppl are just jealous that york region is getting subways and they're getting LRTs (if that even), they'd rather take money from the extension so that they could have their own subway (ahem DRL), and then leave York region short at the steeles border with LRT, just because they believe it is Toronto's god given right to have subways and if they can't have them built, no one should be able to build one. That's how i'm perceiving this, I really find it so hard to believe when people say that LRT could easily accommodate the extension past steeles but woah! at steeles it gets too busy so let's build the subway to steeles, considering most of the buses traveling down yonge are from York Region, including GO buses and Brampton buses...correct me if i;m wrong but ttc only has the 60, 53, 97, and the cummer/drewry buses right?

The world doesnt revolve around york region. Metrolinx and province will have the final say in what gets built. York is already getting 1 extension, so they can wait a bit for the second one.

It isn't about the "world revolving around York Region" or cities getting one subway so they must now wait. The fact is that the projects on the Metrolinx agenda are those from MoveOntario 2020 and those in turn mostly originated from municipal plans. Toronto doesn't have any plan for a subway extension to Steeles alone. The needs of a Steeles bus can easily be met by dedicated lanes considering they will be in mixed traffic once they turn on to Steeles East and West. Why would anyone go forward with such a short extension with so little benefit? Back in 2002 when the TTC considered all the various subway expansion opportunities the minimum extension considered went to Clark.

I think ppl are just jealous that york region is getting subways and they're getting LRTs (if that even), they'd rather take money from the extension so that they could have their own subway (ahem DRL), and then leave York region short at the steeles border with LRT, just because they believe it is Toronto's god given right to have subways and if they can't have them built, no one should be able to build one.

York will have a subway and its Vaughan. By all mean go ahead. Torontonians want Eglinton and Sheppard as a Subway before seeing the subway leaving the city for the suburb. Their taxes pays for the TTC and the TTC mandate is to serve Toronto. The day that the whole GTA will help Toronto pay for the subway extensions and operating fees like Montreal's suburbs are doing now, that will be another story.

That's how i'm perceiving this, I really find it so hard to believe when people say that LRT could easily accommodate the extension past steeles but woah! at steeles it gets too busy so let's build the subway to steeles, considering most of the buses traveling down yonge are from York Region, including GO buses and Brampton buses...correct me if i;m wrong but ttc only has the 60, 53, 97, and the cummer/drewry buses right?

Give Go transit the chance to give you more frequent service from Richmond Hill to Union. How in the world are you guys going to understand once and for all that:

-The line is ALREADY OVERCROWDED.

-It Cannot accomodate a York extension until the DRL is built.

-LRT can work for York. It's cheaper and have better capacity than the buses. With all that money, York could get a much bigger network conecting York cities to the Spadina Line faster. The Yonge line CANNOT take it. what's so hard to understand???

-Mississauga getting a subway would make a hundread time more sense than Richmond Hill.

If the Yonge Line gets its funding in place to go to Richmond Hill, like other posters already mentioned, York Region would have two Rapid Transit lines in place which is great for public transit and the region. I can't help but think of Peel region and it's larger population base. When I first moved to Toronto a few years ago from Vancouver I started attending the monthly TTC meetings at City Hall. At one of my first meeting a councillor, who I didn't catch his name, make a deputation about extending the Bloor Line westward to Sherway Gardens. If this extension was built it would require a large bus station like the one planned for Yonge/Steeles station. It would have to accomdate the three TTC buses that presently serve Sherway Gardens as well as all the Mississauga Transit buses that presently use Islington Station. This extension would clear a lot of traffic along Bloor as well as freeing up some land around Islington Station for development.

I hope that the Richmond Hill subway extension become reality as this might spur the westward estension of the Bloor Subway. Mississauga could then use its federal stimulus dollars to maybe construct it's own LRT line that could connect Station Square (already a heavy transit use area) with the proposed Sherway Gardens Station. Montreal just hooked up Laval to its transit system, Vancouver linked Richmond, Toronto is linking up York Region so why not try and connect Peel Region as well. GO Transit is a good link but those trains aren't for everyone.

I am not saying which line is needed more I just want to see a lot of transit expansion for the whole Greater Toronto area including the outer regions as well as the downtown core.

York will have a subway and its Vaughan. By all mean go ahead. Torontonians want Eglinton and Sheppard as a Subway before seeing the subway leaving the city for the suburb. Their taxes pays for the TTC and the TTC mandate is to serve Toronto. The day that the whole GTA will help Toronto pay for the subway extensions and operating fees like Montreal's suburbs are doing now, that will be another story.

Give Go transit the chance to give you more frequent service from Richmond Hill to Union. How in the world are you guys going to understand once and for all that:

-The line is ALREADY OVERCROWDED.

-It Cannot accomodate a York extension until the DRL is built.

-LRT can work for York. It's cheaper and have better capacity than the buses. With all that money, York could get a much bigger network conecting York cities to the Spadina Line faster. The Yonge line CANNOT take it. what's so hard to understand???

-Mississauga getting a subway would make a hundread time more sense than Richmond Hill.
Now here's something to make you think:

If Yonge is actually already seriously overcrowded (and it very much is,) then what difference will it make to the crowding if a subway or LRT is built? You do realize that people taking Viva Blue and all those other busses are actually going down to Finch and then on to the subway, right? Something I think a lot of people are missing is that probably over half the riders at Finch right now are actually from York Region.

I fully support a Yonge Extension, as well as Richmond Hill Go "LRTization." But the DRL will be needed before a Yonge Extension, and LRT-izing Richmond Hill Go is needed soon. But an extension makes sense. Thornhill has a lot of development plans, and there's also whatever Richmond Hill's doing around Yonge and Highway 7

Last edited:
Now here's something to make you think:

If Yonge is actually already seriously overcrowded (and it very much is,) then what difference will it make to the crowding if a subway or LRT is built? You do realize that people taking Viva Blue and all those other busses are actually going down to Finch and then on to the subway, right? Something I think a lot of people are missing is that probably over half the riders at Finch right now are actually from York Region.

I fully support a Yonge Extension, as well as Richmond Hill Go "LRTization." But the DRL will be needed before a Yonge Extension, and LRT-izing Richmond Hill Go is needed soon. But an extension makes sense. Thornhill has a lot of development plans, and there's also whatever Richmond Hill's doing around Yonge and Highway 7

Subway=extra commuter

Yonge line cannot take extra capacity.

1-DRL has to be built first
2-Go Train must offer Lakeshore Service
3-Only then a subway could be justified. Eglinton and Sheppard should go first.

The TTC mandate is for the city of Toronto. The only way that I will be in favor of a massive subway system for the GTA would be if the whole GTA paid their share like in Montreal. Politician complains that building a subway is so expensive...There a many part of the city that seriously lack rapid transit and are more urgent than Richmond Hill.

Nothing is stopping York to have their LRT or own subway system if they want. But those Km of subway rail should be use within the city first before going outside to fill the gap in Toronto. Building outside is a waste.

I'm for a subway outside of Toronto but why use the TTC.

You guys might not get why I'm like this. But the Laval extension is identical to the plan Richmond Hill extension here. Montreal is experiencing what will happen to the Yonge line without DRL.

Pros:
1-It was clear that Laval wanted the subway (and still want more) to increase the value of his city. This is fine.

2-By having 3 station in Laval, the STL (Laval network) redirected their 25 and + bus routes off the island of Montreal and kept them within Laval. They saved a lot of money...They lowered their tickets and bus passes fee afterward. This is fine.

3-The trips were much shorter for those from Laval and more comfortable. This is great

Cons:

4-Laval refused to increase their contribution to Montreal Metro (STM). The mayor of Montreal had threat to keep the extension closed as long as Laval was refusing to pay extra money for increase maintaining cost. Laval refused and asked the provincial government who gave the money to Montreal to open the line. Laval still refused to pay more which is not the case with Longueuil. Montreal decided to charge an extra fare of 2.75$ to Laval customer who did not buy the Zone 3 Metro pass to help compensate. Laval said they won’t pay more as long as Montreal does not give a fair treatment to Laval commuters like Longueuil who do not pay extra fare. Montreal was against the project to begin with since they wanted to expand the northern crosstown first (blue line). The mayor told Laval that if they wanted it so bad they could have built their own but they showed they were not willing to pay for it.

My point: Risk of dispute. York wants the subway so badly...Why not built their own rapid transit? They were quick to drop the Viva LRT... It seem to me they want the most for as less as possible.

5-The orange line is horribly overcrowded and just like the Yonge line, it was already like that before. It seemed that they underestimated the extra commuters that decided to use the Metro. People from much farther away use the subway instead of driving... (This is good)

The ugly part? Those living in St-Jerome (2 hours from downtown) did something that no one predicted. Instead of staying in the commuter train to Bonaventure (Central station downtown) they get of at De La Concorde Station in Laval and use the Metro...

A subway to Richmond Hill would most likely mean, the Go ridership would decrease and make it useless. Do you seriously think that people will keep using the Go when they get the subway at their door??? Not only new commuter will use the Yonge line but most of Go user will use the Subway. Do you think the line can take it?

6-Montrealers were the victims in all of this. Short-turning the trains and adding more trains didn't change a thing. The STM said there was nothing they could do in short term. They can't use the subway like they use too and the same thing awaits Torontonians

The solution is Go and their initiative to make the network look like the RER in Paris.
Frequent service....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RER

Metrolinx is aware of that...hope they think real hard before making such a move. They have the infrastructure and it's Go Train. 2 Billion in subway technology to RH is a huge and irresponsible waste of money. It would kill the Go RH line...

Last edited:
Both Laval and Longueuil are paying for maintenace, operating cost and part of building cost. I'd like to see how much Richmond Hill is willing to pay to help operate the TTC subbway network.

York Region is paying its full share of the cost of its subway extensions.

I completely agree that the DRL should be built right away to relieve Yonge, and the two projects should be scheduled to open simultaneously.

Last edited:
The world doesn't revolve around York Region, however York Region is organized enough to make its demands known and also to see them through to completion. On behalf of all the residents of York Region, I apologize to Torontonians for living in a region that gets things done.

On that note, I think most people here have some good points, but a lot of others are forgetting a few key facts:

- When the new trains and signaling system is in place, capacity on each train will increase (by perhaps another 100+ people?) and frequency of trains will increase

- Currently, as others have mentioned, more than half of the riders from Finch Station reside in York Region. If the line is extended north, Finch will definitely see its ridership drop significantly.

- Using the last point as background info, keep in mind that once the new line is in place, every second train will be turning back south (completely empty) from Finch. So not only is the ridership at Finch significantly decreased, you also have a nice, fresh train to go south which serves existing ridership already. This alone makes "overcrowding" issues non-issue for at least a few years until further intensification south of North York Centre. This should be great news to anyone who gets stranded at southern stations because of a 5 minute delay at Finch that causes a train to depart from Finch at full capacity already. This scenario will most likely not happen anymore with these new changes in place.

I'm not saying that the DRL isn't important or anything, but the excuses people are coming up with to throw the extension into the trash is kind of ridiculous when you look at the fine print. York Region is doing a lot here to make sure that Toronto citizens are not screwed over, and this is why the TTC is now fine with the extension, unlike before where they were firmly against it.

Back