Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Although I admittedly have not studied any related legislation, and am aware that there are some loose guidelines (i.e. a 'city' is supposed to be over 10K), I am of the view that these various titles are just monikers; they use 'city when they want to be seen as 'in the big leagues' and 'town' if they want to project ' small town hominess. Other that being over some rather arbitrary population cut-off, there is no part of the City of Kawartha Lakes that fits a reasonable definition of 'city', any more than the Town of Oakville has any relationship to a reasonable definition of a 'small town'. At least some municipalities have decided to not even play the game; the Municipality of Chatham-Kent comes to mind.
Let's not forget about Quebec. Due to a quirk in French, "ville" means both town and city (yes, French has a word for city, which is "cité," but it's not used often). Because of that, Montreal is Canada's most populous town, despite Montreal being officially a city in English.

Not just that, but in Canada, once a settlement officially becomes a city, it remains a city forever, even when significantly depopulated, such as Dawson City.

No, which is why Richmond Hill is not really interested in becoming a city. It made sense for Markham to do it because they're bigger than Vaughan but were a "town", while Vaughan was a "city".

That's interesting if that's the case now, but I don't believe that used to be the case 20 and more years ago. There used to be an increase in funding levels from the Province as the municipality grew from a Village to a Town to a Borough to a City. As far as I know this was why East York made such a point of maintaining its borough status long after they could have become a city. It was a point of institutional pride that they could make do with less.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That's interesting if that's the case now, but I don't believe that used to be the case 20 and more years ago. There used to be an increase in funding levels from the Province as the municipality grew from a Village to a Town to a Borough to a City. As far as I know this was why East York made such a point of maintaining its borough status long after they could have become a city. It was a point of institutional pride that they could make do with less.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

IIRC that was the case before 2012 or so, which is why Markham waited till then to change. I believe changing from town to city was also a relatively difficult process that required Provincial approval too. But after 2012, it's basically just a rebranding exercise.

Not just that, but in Canada, once a settlement officially becomes a city, it remains a city forever, even when significantly depopulated, such as Dawson City.

That might be a matter of the word "city" being part of the proper name as opposed to some form of municipal designation. We have King City which was never much more than a village and even today, according to Wiki, has a population under 7K as part of King Twp. I have no idea what the municipal designation rules are in other provinces/territories.

To serve Durham Avenue they'd have to convert the nearby emergency exit to a proper station.

Which seems fair enough - it's a long way between St. Clair West and Eglinton West stations! Durham/Markdale isn't a bad location - about 900 metres south of Eglinton West! :)

https://joshuakg.tumblr.com/tagged/Markdale

Supposedly there was a proposal for a station between Cedarvale and St. Clair West however the community rejected it.

To serve Durham Avenue they'd have to convert the nearby emergency exit to a proper station.

Which seems fair enough - it's a long way between St. Clair West and Eglinton West stations! Durham/Markdale isn't a bad location - about 900 metres south of Eglinton West! :)

A station there would make Bessarion look like a bustling metropolis by contrast! ;)

I meant Durham Region...

Where would it meet Highway 7?
Leslie, Woodbine, Town Centre, Warden, or Birchmount?
Where are you getting that from?

The options are laid out at the project website - http://www.relieflinenorth.ca/ The study area reaches to Markham along Steeles between Yonge and Victoria Park, which could provide significant relief to the Yonge Line.

Personally I like Option 3, which take over (or run along) the Richmond Hill GO line, allowing for it to reach Yonge Street quite cheaply and above-ground once it got to Lawrence. None of the alignments are lining up for Warden or Birchmount or "Town Centre".

12-840x1024.png

Back