Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I think a major problem with getting support from citizens of Toronto is that while most people in York Region don't view Steeles Ave as the end of the world, those living on the south end of it do.

It's hard to convince Torontonians that never cross that border that there is anything more than just farm lands in the 905, and thus strong opposition exists. We need to stop thinking just based on our regions, and start thinking more about the GTA as a whole.

That's not true. Nobody disagrees with the need to extend the subway. The ire of Torontonians is raised when the extension adds to Toronto's liabilities (and hence the tax burden) and when the choices the TTC makes seem to place the regions outside the city first.

The TTC screwed up by adding the Bloor-Yonge expansion costs into the cost of the RHC line, INSTEAD of adding the costs of the DRL.

They would definitely have been seen as obstructionist if they asked for the DRL as a condition of extending the Yonge line a few stops. Can you imagine the reaction from York, the province, etc. if Miller said that the TTC would absolutely not be allowed to undertake the Yonge extension without building the DRL simultaneously? It's better to play along and get some concessions then piss off the same folks you need to rely on for serious cash down the road.

That's not true. Nobody disagrees with the need to extend the subway.

Actually I know a few people who are dead set against the extension, even with or without Transit City and the DRL being in place. They do not want anything TTC to go beyond Steeles Ave, and that kind of disgusts me.

I'm fine with building the necessary things for the city first, but for some people to completely deny any support to the extension regardless of the completion of other projects is just anti-transit in my mind.

They would definitely have been seen as obstructionist if they asked for the DRL as a condition of extending the Yonge line a few stops. Can you imagine the reaction from York, the province, etc. if Miller said that the TTC would absolutely not be allowed to undertake the Yonge extension without building the DRL simultaneously? It's better to play along and get some concessions then piss off the same folks you need to rely on for serious cash down the road.

OK, maybe that was a stupid comment. The DRL can't possibly be included as PART of the York extensions, but it is needed. I really can't understand why city politicians have to be so stupid.

The Sheppard LRT should be subway!
The Jane LRT should be on Eglinton
The Malvern LRT should stop at UTSC
The Eglinton LRT should not be in the middle of the street while there's a 30-metre Richview Corridor right next to the street.
And finally, the DRL should've been built ages ago!

Actually I know a few people who are dead set against the extension, even with or without Transit City and the DRL being in place. They do not want anything TTC to go beyond Steeles Ave, and that kind of disgusts me.

And how many of those folks are as passionate about transit building and Toronto's development as the crowd on this forum. I'll most of them would not even know their counselor's name. So I wouldn't be too worried about them.

And how many of those folks are as passionate about transit building and Toronto's development as the crowd on this forum. I'll most of them would not even know their counselor's name. So I wouldn't be too worried about them.

I sure hope you're right... But to be honest I know at least one of them who likes to spread his views rigorously on TheStar.com comments (on any article remotely about transit) and a fairly popular Facebook group...

But still, I have hope that the people in charge will be smarter than that.

TTC approves Yonge line extension

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/575249

The TTC has dotted the i's on its agreement to build and operate a 6.8-kilometre extension of the Yonge subway to Richmond Hill, sending it on to city council for approval next week.

After that, the plan moves to the Ministry of the Environment.

The city's executive committee has already placed conditions on the TTC's participation in the $2.4 billion project, which York Region has strongly promoted. Before it's built, Toronto wants its Transit City light-rail lines funded, more platform capacity built at the Bloor-Yonge station, and a new signalling system in place to improve train frequency and ease congestion.

Nevertheless, the TTC's vice-chair objected to the subway plan at yesterday's commission meeting. "If you had $2.4 billion, is this the best way to spend public money at this point in our history?" asked Councillor Joe Mihevc. "We are over-romanticizing the subway," he said. "We need to be more complex in our thinking. That's why we're heading down the road to light-rail transit."

His objection followed a presentation from Toronto's unofficial transit guru, Steve Munro, who fears the TTC's plans could spell an end to the possibility of a subway "relief line" running from Pape station to Queen. "I do not oppose expansion of the transit system," he said. "I oppose spending billions when there are better alternatives worth looking at."

Mary-Frances Turner, vice-president of the York Region Rapid Transit Corp., countered that, saying with 70 per cent of York riders travelling down Yonge St., there's a huge issue with bus congestion to the north as well. An extended subway "will be a very good outcome for York Region in terms of its growth."

Mary-Frances Turner, vice-president of the York Region Rapid Transit Corp., countered that, saying with 70 per cent of York riders travelling down Yonge St., there's a huge issue with bus congestion to the north as well. An extended subway "will be a very good outcome for York Region in terms of its growth.".

And they say people from Toronto dont care about the 905.

It seems our dear mrs Turner doesn't give a damn about the 416 traveller and care even less about downtown transit.

I'm not saying the extension is a bad thing but instead of being stupid and refute an excellent observation, she could have said that DRL is a good idea and should be made ASAP along with the Yonge extension.

That would have been smart mrs Turner.

Last edited:
And they say people from Toronto dont care about the 905.

It seems our dear mrs Turner doesn't give a damn about the 416 traveller and care even less about downtown transit.

I'm not saying the extension is a bad thing but instead of being stupid and refute an excellent observation, she could have said that DRL is a good idea and should be made ASAP along with the Yonge extension.

That would have been smart mrs Turner.

She's the vice president of VIVA. Pushing for better transit for the 905 is called doing her job.

It would be a huge mistake for this to get approved by the city and the government. Richmond Hill? Seriously? This all makes me laugh.
People argue about building a line on Eglinton and say it's not worth it, but a line to Richmond Hill is? Boggles my mind.

Yes I agree that's not fair ... she's only doing her job.

Also don't forget a couple things:
The TTC isn't paying for much in this entire plan and regarding any extra expenses, they have went out of their way to ensure they will not be responsible for them either (i.e. Bloor expansion, new train yard, possible sheppard west expansion, possible but unlikely eastern DRL).

Anyway the point is, if the TTC is correct (or hopes they're correct) and the Yonge line can indeed handle all the extra riders ... we the TTC / 416 are getting a free lunch so to speak. In other words it's not hard to see why they wouldn't object.

Now this is all given the fact that the province / metrolink has clearly stated that X amount of dollars will be allocated to the Yonge extension and that the TTC/Toronto CANNOT change that.

Steve Munro, who fears the TTC's plans could spell an end to the possibility of a subway "relief line" running from Pape station to Queen. "I do not oppose expansion of the transit system," he said. "I oppose spending billions when there are better alternatives worth looking at."

Mary-Frances Turner, vice-president of the York Region Rapid Transit Corp., countered that, saying with 70 per cent of York riders travelling down Yonge St., there's a huge issue with bus congestion to the north as well. An extended subway "will be a very good outcome for York Region in terms of its growth."

Its' in bold

According to my numbers giving to TTC, opening day ridership for peak time will be 2,300, far far below a threshold of a subway.

If fare integration took place by then as well come 2031, the 8,800 peak riders from RHC will will be far less.

This only requires an LRT.

Add to this, ridership going to Newmarket is 5,600 riders at Peak time from RHC and that is LRT not BRT requirement. Metrolinx numbers for 8,800 and 5,600.

It was said, the only place to put a Subway yard is on the north side of Richmond Hill and if so, how are you going to get train there other than running tracks in the Rail Corridor?

According to my numbers giving to TTC, opening day ridership for peak time will be 2,300, far far below a threshold of a subway.

If fare integration took place by then as well come 2031, the 8,800 peak riders from RHC will will be far less.

This only requires an LRT.

Add to this, ridership going to Newmarket is 5,600 riders at Peak time from RHC and that is LRT not BRT requirement. Metrolinx numbers for 8,800 and 5,600.

It was said, the only place to put a Subway yard is on the north side of Richmond Hill and if so, how are you going to get train there other than running tracks in the Rail Corridor?

I think the key is the 2031 ridership #s of 8,800? Aren't many TTC stations below this anyway? What's Finch currently?

Why would fare integration make this lower? You mean fare integration in the sense that someone coming from RHC would have to pay double ... that makes sense. You might see GO picking up a lot of customers as well.

But explain why 8,800 (if it were so, isn't good enough). Really though, what are some numbers for current TTC stations?

Back