Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Because roads are free for everyone.

That said, I always find it stupid when different levels of government get into squabbles about who pays.

GO has to pay (a toll?) to CN or CP to use the non-GO owned tracks. Does GO have to pay a toll to use the 407? GO has to pay for the bus' license plates, so I think so.

GO has to pay (a toll?) to CN or CP to use the non-GO owned tracks. Does GO have to pay a toll to use the 407? GO has to pay for the bus' license plates, so I think so.
I think they do - pretty sure they have transponders on the GO buses that serve those routes.

A part of me as to wonder why the 407 deal didn't include letting the government run transit vehicles on the highway for free. But I guess thats further down the list from the main question of "Why the hell was this highway sold for a fraction of its worth?"

But I digress.

I think they do - pretty sure they have transponders on the GO buses that serve those routes.

A part of me as to wonder why the 407 deal didn't include letting the government run transit vehicles on the highway for free. But I guess thats further down the list from the main question of "Why the hell was this highway sold for a fraction of its worth?"

But I digress.

As far as I know, they don't pay for the use of the 407, the transponders in question just let the toll gates know not to take a photo of the licence plates, as well track when they enter and leave the 407. The province still owns the land under the 407, they only sold the asphalt and concrete, so it would be really stupid to charge yourself to use your own land.

-----

As for the GO/CN/CP rail issue. They do, or did, pay a fee to CN and CP for use of the rails for GO Transit, but since Metrolinx owns the tracks now, I belive CN/CP pays a fee and still has a right to use their old tracks that Metrolinx now owns

GO buses run on city streets. I am pretty sure they do not have to pay the City for that use.
So why can't the City run on GO tracks. It is a simple matter of co-operation and integrating transit networks - the whole reason Metrolinx was created in the first. place.
we've already covered the limited sense in which GO serves Toronto due to TTC's legislated monopoly on wholly intra-416 service. Standing up the personnel and infrastructure to run a heavy rail network is a wasteful duplication, aside from the continuing need to negotiate to use Metrolinx stations like Bloor GO - look at how VIA recently negotiated permission to use GO Weston.

Here's the bottom line - agencies which demand taxes from residents will not willingly hand that over to another agency which spends that money without assurance that at least some residents within their jurisdiction will benefit. This issue has frequently caused dissension within Translink Vancouver's constituent municipalities, but TL is presumably close to what you think Metrolinx should aspire to be.

As far as I know, they don't pay for the use of the 407, the transponders in question just let the toll gates know not to take a photo of the licence plates, as well track when they enter and leave the 407. The province still owns the land under the 407, they only sold the asphalt and concrete, so it would be really stupid to charge yourself to use your own land.

-----

As for the GO/CN/CP rail issue. They do, or did, pay a fee to CN and CP for use of the rails for GO Transit, but since Metrolinx owns the tracks now, I belive CN/CP pays a fee and still has a right to use their old tracks that Metrolinx now owns

GO certainly does pay for use of 407. As do BT, Viva, etc. I forget the actual number that a transit guy quoted me, but it was not small change.

Passenger rail is different, in that one can figure out an approximate long-term variable cost for each and every car that moves on the line. That is how railroads have set rates (and asked for subsidies, in the days before VIA) sice the 1920's. Passenger rates have traditionally been less than full cost recovery, let alone profit. But there is lots of room for different interpretations.

I'm sure TTC models how its costs change each time ridership grows or shrinks. A new customer who uses a bus and transfers to the subway will cost a different amount than one who only uses the bus. Assessing particular customers a different share of total cost depending on things like distance, numbers of transfers, etc is what fare integration is all about. It's our political mindset, and not the methodology, that determines whether we do this.

- Paul

GO certainly does pay for use of 407. As do BT, Viva, etc. I forget the actual number that a transit guy quoted me, but it was not small change.

407 does allow exemptions on per case basis that isn't covered under the 407 Highway Act. And seeing that they don't pay property taxes and a private highway is getting a extension that they don't have to pay for. I don't see why they haven't given GO Transit an exemption.:rolleyes:

---

Anyways, steering this conversation back on topic. Will York Region be paying the TTC to maintain the cost of operating the line outside Toronto?

The funding Metrolinx requested to advance the engineering seems most likely. I forget what the dollar figure was, if there was one, at this point. A few mil, anyway.

From the vivanext site:
n 2015, Metrolinx released the findings of a Yonge Relief Network Study, and recommended advancing the Yonge Subway Extension with preliminary engineering. We are currently awaiting a funding announcement from the Province of Ontario before moving forward on this recommendation.

Logical to assume this is the funding announcement, no?
Further to that, the Metrolinx report reccomended going up to 15% on the design and reporting back in Spring 2016. If I check my calendar.....yup, time for something to happen.

Back