Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

All this whiiiiiining. Boo hoo, foreigners are taking my seat!

And Palma, everyone already knows you don't know about anything north of Sheppard. Since we established you thought peoplecould get to Richmond Hill without going through Markham or Vaughan, your comments have been weighed accordingly.
Why don't you shut-up sore loser. I know RichmonHill is north of Hwy 7, Thornhill south of Hwy 7 to Steeles, west to Dufferin and east to Hwy404, Markham east of 404 and Vaughan is west of Dufferin St. Of course Maple centred around Keele and Major MacKenzie area.

I also know this much - other than Spadina extension into Vaughan, no subway goes through Thornhill or RichmondHill. Oh, and won't for a long time. I'll stop with this forum thread as it has no relevance to my life other than sympathy I feel for people in Toronto trying to get on the Yonge subway south of York Mills

How do you need to go through Vaughan along Yonge to get to Thornhill at Yonge and Steeles? Nevermind I don't really care

sorry to be the troublemaker...

The key word is proposed...

In other words, you're comparing areas :

A)where the ridership is already there for a subway with some of those like the King area could use more
VS
B)Where the ridership is projected to meet subway capacity (York)
Projections have never been wrong right...

Sorry but there's something called "Priorities" and most of us here are just telling you to "wait your damn turn";)

PS: that a very poor reading of data... If I were to imitate you, more avenues around NYC should get their own subway lines before York...see how it doesn't make sense?

Fools, several pages back The Tiger Master asked what the PROPOSED densities were comparable to. As 44north pointed out, the numbers I had were old. These are newer. Obviously they are comparing existing densities to a community that does not yet exist. It's called context and that's what I get for trying to answer a good question helpfully.

See how you don't know what you're talking about? ;)

Speaking of which, great to see Palma discovered google maps. Now to understand where Thornhill is in relation to Vaughan and Markham...

Last edited:
Reactions: BMO
I think it was actually BMO who mentioned some of your graphics were outdated, out of context etc. But whatever. As a superficial olive leaf, these density comparisons are from the 2011 report on the Langstaff Secondary Plan. they probably give a relatively decent apples/apples density comparison. Much better than the numbers I posted way back, anyway.

Hm. Might be a 2011 report you got that from, but I don't think those are 2011 numbers. There's no citation given in that LG 2ndary Plan, and tho the report is dated June 2011... as I understand it Census data doesn't come in until Fall, then has to be computed by StatsCan. So maybe those are 2006 numbers, or 2001. Or maybe they just made them up. And afaik Bell Lightbox isn't a Centre.

But at the end of the day we both know the 2031 RHC/LG numbers aren't going to be achieved (since the development is contingent on the subway, and the subway is many years late and delayed indefinitely). So perhaps this isn't an apples/apples comparison, but rather apples/sour grapes? (<- sorry if that's snarky, but you brought that on yourself when you insulted my actual 2011 UGC comparison, then followed that up by writing something rude when I told BMO that I'd provide other info).

You can't change the fact that huge numbers of people live north of downtown and so they'll keep taking the subway. The City of Toronto is eyeing 1000s of new residents north of Finch too, and they'll take your seats too. I live in York Region and I take it, whether or not the line is extended. that's already true of thousands of others. As so many people here LOVE pointing out, even the Metrolinx study shows the capacity you open with the DRL will be used by 2031, right? So how does that help poor Pman get a seat? How is it an answer to the problem?

The City of Toronto's plans for new residents is contingent with the Yonge North extension, which Toronto has logically prioritized after the Relief Line. At least those thousands of new residents between Finch and Steeles will be paying City of Toronto taxes and contributing to subsidizing the City of Toronto transit system.

The Metrolinx study shows this with the short option between just Danforth and Downtown, which the Toronto City Planning department have verified with their own projections showing that the Yonge Subway will be over capacity in 2031 even with both the DRL and ST/GO-RER. It shows however, that the Relief Line would relieve the Yonge Subway by 1/3 if it is extended to Sheppard. This is our logical next step. This is the answer to the problem. (until post-2050 anyway)

Everyone's so hung up on the micro they can't see how this plays out regionwide - how transit capacity and road capacity are related, for example. I could go on (obviously). but the DRL is not going to singlehandedly solve downstream crowding on Yonge is the point. And most of you know that already, so take a chill pill. Or go protest to your politicians. It doesn't matter much to me.
This is quite funny because this has been the single greatest flaws in your arguments and posts on here.

Do you not realize how adding the Yonge North riders to the already over-capacity subway has ramifications all across the TTC? From Sheppard to Bloor? On every single connecting bus route? On transit mode share throughout the entire city? On loss opportunity cost due to congestion? On a higher frequency of service interruptions? On health and safety? What about transit-oriented development and other intensification within Toronto along the currently existing system? Should we scrap that and start building more parking spaces because York Region wants their TOD to be serviced by a subway first?

I don't want to sound like the sky is falling down, but it really is! The Yonge North extension, if no other forms of relief are built first, will really compromise the vitality and competitiveness of Toronto and the entire region!

Your prescription is literally, we can't solve downstream crowding in the long-run anyway, so we might as well jeopardize the whole system by adding more capacity issues to it. Instead, we want to prioritize the spending of that limited funding on relieving that Yonge subway crowding.

Last edited:
BTW, we may as well add $1.5 billion to the costs of the Yonge North extension, because it would almost assuredly require the reconfiguration of Bloor-Yonge station.

(While you could detract that cost from the $4.3 billion it would take to extend the Relief Line from Danforth to Sheppard, since it will mitigate crowding by 1/3 on the Yonge subway and thus the need to reconfigure Bloor-Yonge for the next few decades.)

Speaking of which, great to see Palma discovered google maps. Now to understand where Thornhill is in relation to Vaughan and Markham...
Do I get bonus points for knowing that?

People attacking our neighbour to the north for ignoring overcrowding issues downstream is all well and good, but York Region just doesn't care. Their only interest is in getting this extension funded. That cutthroat approach is in stark contrast to Toronto's regarding the DRL. Council prioritizing the DRL ahead of Yonge doesn't guarantee Yonge can't happen first.

Do you not realize how adding the Yonge North riders to the already over-capacity subway has ramifications all across the TTC? From Sheppard to Bloor? On every single connecting bus route? On transit mode share throughout the entire city? On loss opportunity cost due to congestion? On a higher frequency of service interruptions? On health and safety? What about transit-oriented development and other intensification within Toronto along the currently existing system? Should we scrap that and start building more parking spaces because York Region wants their TOD to be serviced by a subway first?

Just playing Devil's advocate here. I'm sure many would rather see the subway network extended, rather than put all our eggs in one basket and build a DRL to relieve Yonge Line overcrowding that takes place for 1 hour in the morning each day.

It seems there is significant relief coming to the Yonge line in the future (Spadina extension will divert riders from the west, signal upgrades will improve capacity, Scarborough extension will divert riders from the east).

It seems there is significant relief coming to the Yonge line in the future (Spadina extension will divert riders from the west, signal upgrades will improve capacity, Scarborough extension will divert riders from the east).

The Vaughan Subway extension is of marginal benefit for Yonge crowding. Only diverts about 1 or 2 trains worth of people. This "relief" will quickly be negated by latent demand.

And Scarborough Subway will actually contribute to the crowing crisis.

even with the extension the yonge line (up to union) is not even longer than line 2 (without scarborough extension), what is the point of bringing out Barrie??

...complete with very deep tunnelling under the Holland Marsh or under Lake Simcoe
And let's not forget that one token should get you from Barrie to Union, same as from Summerhill. Because Barrie commuters will already have paid twice with their local bus fare.

Back