Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

From the list of members that went to Ottawa I would guess there might be funding flowing for York University campus and GO-RER of the stouffville line (aka smart track)...

well once it hits Steeles you have hit York region. Why don't they ask for more GO service instead. That's what GO service is for - Regional travel

Oooh, the ever legendary Regional Rider! I think I've seen some of them but then, like Leprechauns, they dart into the undergrowth before you can talk to them.

Are they traveling from Richmond Hill to North York? From Scarborough to Etobicoke? From Pickering to Scarborough?

Who can say for sure? All we know for certain is that there is no reason for them to ever ride TTC. That's for LOCAL Riders, who are totally a real thing.

Personally, I'd like our transit system to just be for transit riders.

In theory, the way I understand the feds program, York Region can pitch to the Feds but the Feds will only finance what's on the province list. Since Metrolinx agrees that Yonge North can't happen without a Relief Line, the only extension that might happen is from Finch to Steeles.

I sincerely understand the capacity issues - the whole process is messed up. Anyone can pitch anyone. But obviously no one is going to start digging just because Trudeau gave York Region some money. It SHOULD all go through Metrolinx but that doesn't always work either (see: Ford, Rob and Transit City).

Per above, Metrolinx does see the need for the RL but not necessarily as a prerequisite.

The push to Steeles-only doesn't make sense in terms of ridership, money or politics. but that doesn't mean it won't happen. (If your'e sincerely concerned about straining relationships between the 2 municipalities, how do you think YR will react to asking them to intensify, promising them a subway, having them do all the required work, waiting, asking for money - and then building the darned thing right to their border [including construction on their half, almost certainly] and stopping it 3km short of their biggest planned growth hub?)

Last edited:
The silver lining in all these Yong extension discussions is that it might actually speed-up the DRL.

I thought the way you're thinking, in 2009. :)

It's the great irony, that it was the extension is really what put DRL on everyone's map, but we're 7 years in and the process is still in pretty early days.

I keep seeing two arguments:
  • Have GO Transit deal with it and improve service to Richmond Hill, this line will cross borders so it's technically a regional problem!
  • It'll push the Yonge Line over capacity
So we're essentially arguing that this line makes so much sense that too many people will use it while suggesting we forego a line that makes a lot of sense in terms of ridership by replacing it with another service that doesn't serve the same areas, has a lower capacity and is planned to have lower frequencies?

#TorontoTransitPlanning

Ehh... The EA for the relief line will be done in a few months, and that's the final stage before tender.
Not even close. Then you have to a pre-design, design, etc.

I can't blame York Region for pushing this. They should be furious that Toronto is delaying the Yonge extension because of capacity issues at Yonge-Bloor - but has no problems in extending the Scarborough subway inside Toronto which also is going to increase transfers at Yonge-Bloor.

I can't blame York Region for pushing this. They should be furious that Toronto is delaying the Yonge extension because of capacity issues at Yonge-Bloor - but has no problems in extending the Scarborough subway inside Toronto which also is going to increase transfers at Yonge-Bloor.

Design is done by the firm it's contracted out to, if we're having using a design/build contract similar to our LRTs, correct?

Yeah... What you said is not even close.

Look at the SSE schedule. the tender for the tunnel will begin only four months after completion of the EA, and tunnel construction beings only 6 months after that.

Assuming the Relief Line timelines are similar and no delays, if funding materializes soon enough to not interrupt the timelines, the Relief Line will be tendered in about 12 months and construction will begin summer/fall of next year.

https://swanboatsteve.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/sseprojschedule201505.jpg

Design is done by the firm it's contracted out to, if we're having using a design/build contract similar to our LRTs, correct?
No TTC subway has ever been built that way.

And if you do that way, you have to spend years doing the predesign and detailed specs. It was switching Eglinton from the normal TTC way to the way you describe that added about 2 years to the tendering.

No TTC subway has ever been built that way.

And if you do that way, you have to spend years doing the predesign and detailed specs. It was switching Eglinton from the normal TTC way to the way you describe that added about 2 years to the tendering.

Look at the SSE schedule. Construction begins 9 months after TPAP (EA) completion. I see no reason why the Relief Line won't follow similar timelines, save for political issues.

Back