Toronto YC Condos -- Yonge at College | 198.42m | 62s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

When I'm at home the look of the exterior has 0 impact. Would I choose a nice looking building over an ugly one? Sure, but the price and interior matter most. X2 beautiful on the outside yet I hate the layouts of most suites and would likely never buy there. Just my 2 cents.

One of the very few times I've agreed with you on here :)

This is repulsive, but is anyone surprised? The city needs to come up with a way to force developers to use curtainwall ASAP. There has to be a way to work around the limitations/issues with a broad window wall ban. It's embarrassing to compare the cladding used in Toronto residential highrises to their Montreal counterparts, where Canderel is from.

Are they going to give them money?

I agree however, aA uses window wall. The vast majority of their designs are still pretty damn attractive. This would still be a spandrel heavy, mediocre design with curtainwall. I would just look a little better.

I agree however, aA uses window wall. The vast majority of their designs are still pretty damn attractive. This would still be a spandrel heavy, mediocre design with curtainwall. I would just look a little better.

No kidding - just look at Karma next door (or Burano, Lumiere, whatnot). This is a matter of design, not choice of cladding system.

AoD

When I'm at home the look of the exterior has 0 impact. Would I choose a nice looking building over an ugly one? Sure, but the price and interior matter most. X2 beautiful on the outside yet I hate the layouts of most suites and would likely never buy there. Just my 2 cents.

Layout do matter most however, banal cheap exteriors usually have banal interior finishes as well. No one of value would do the interiors when the exterior is a disaster. My relationships would berate me for living in YC. The exterior may have zero impact of living but, it can impact your life.

Layout do matter most however, banal cheap exteriors usually have banal interior finishes as well. No one of value would do the interiors when the exterior is a disaster.
Tridel, which has a rather spotty record with exteriors, has an exemplary record with interiors.

No kidding - just look at Karma next door (or Burano, Lumiere, whatnot). This is a matter of design, not choice of cladding system.

AoD

That's true, but I doubt anyone would have been as disappointed if this building was being clad in curtain wall all the way up- or even just better window wall (compare this project to 43 Gerrald West). Heck, 155 Redpath is an instance of this- one of aA's less elegant designs, made up for by quality cladding.

Finish quality and detailing can make or break a design- and of course detailing is one of the junctions where value-engineering and design collide.

Last edited:
That's true, but I doubt anyone would have been as disappointed if this building was being clad in curtain wall all the way up- or even just better window wall (compare this project to 43 Gerrald West).

Finish quality and detailing can make or break a design- and of course detailing is the junction where value-engineering and design come into conflict.

Not really - Aura wasn't saved by having a chunk of it covered by curtain wall either. Just like that curtain walled box didn't help to improve or add to the overall quality of the project.

AoD

Aura wasn't saved because on the overall, the upper portion couldn't fix the horrific lower half of the tower or the podium or the basement mall.

What part of the building do people usually complain about? I doubt it's the top.

Aura wasn't saved because on the overall, the upper portion couldn't fix the horrific lower half of the tower or the podium or the basement mall.

What part of the building do people usually complain about? I doubt it's the top.

Which is what I am getting it - "good" materials can't save you from bad design.

AoD

I need some clarification here. This is a pair of questions for information not a disguised assertion. With a design featuring wrap around or near wrap around balconies (as is the case with many aA designs and also this one) is there any point in using curtain wall? In fact, is it even possible to use curtain wall between the exterior of a building and its balconies without considerable difficulties? If so, would not the actual complaint have to do with excessive use of balconies rather than the use of window wall?

These questions may arise from a failure on my part accurately to understand the distinction between the two types of cladding.

Tridel, which has a rather spotty record with exteriors, has an exemplary record with interiors.

I don't agree. Tridel interior design very much reflect the exteriors when it comes to taste. Bland. Layouts aren't as good as when they first developed their exemplary reputuation.

Critics are always going to gravitate towards the worst aspects which isn't the top. The top isn't great by any means. It would still be a mediocre tower worthy of criticism clad all in curtainwall.

I need some clarification here. This is a pair of questions for information not a disguised assertion. With a design featuring wrap around or near wrap around balconies (as is the case with many aA designs and also this one) is there any point in using curtain wall? In fact, is it even possible to use curtain wall between the exterior of a building and its balconies without considerable difficulties? If so, would not the actual complaint have to do with excessive use of balconies rather than the use of window wall?

These questions may arise from a failure on my part accurately to understand the distinction between the two types of cladding.

I can't give you an answer on the technicalities.

The curtain wall quality facade used on King Charlotte or Yoo Montreal makes as big as an impact as comparing a wrap around balcony, window wall tower designed by aA to one done by any number of firms like Burka, G+C, P+S, etc.

Pulse North York vs Lago vs The Gooderham.

Curtain wall hangs from clips off the floor slabs, window wall sits on the slabs. There are hybrid versions, and there are lots of different looks for both, although generally curtain wall is far cleaner, often achieved through a capless mullion. Because it's more expensive, few residential builders are going to attempt to use a curtain wall hybrid where there are balconies: if the curtain wall can't hang because it's interrupted by balcony slabs, there's little point in using it.

I don't blame balconies for bad window wall designs: it's up to the developer, depending on what they want to spend, and the architect who can spec something worthwhile if they're given the budget. To my eyes, those windows that are divided by a mullion at waist height (and which are found in buildings all over the city) are ugly: they up the number of mullions considerably. Often we get two slender spandrel panels at the top of each floor—one that might have some vents slotted in, and then the one that covers the slab above—also bringing more mullions with them. We don't need either the divided windows nor the double spandrel panel sections: all of that can be simplified with higher cost windows wall… but the problem is, again, that it's higher cost. aA's 155 Redpath is a good example cited above of how window wall can look just fine.

I don't buy the balcony or price excuses. Residential property is cheaper in Montreal, and most, if not all, of their new residential highrises include balconies, just like Toronto. The only difference is that the overwhelming majority (I would guess over 90%) of Montreal's residential highrises use curtainwall. I did not even realize until Skyrise Cities was launched and I looked at the Montreal forum. I also completely disagree that the choice of cladding has no impact on a building's aesthetics; it absolutely does. With curtainwall, this would still be a mess, but it would look like a higher quality mess vs. a third world dilapidated mess. I encourage everyone to go on Skyrise Cities and look at the Montreal forum; you will be shocked and envious.

I'll just make it easier by adding a link: http://skyrisecities.com/forum/forums/buildings.391/

Back