Toronto YC Condos -- Yonge at College | 198.42m | 62s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I'm glad they abandoned the pseudo-1Bloor knock-off. It's a design there should only be one of.

, on Flickr

Is this in sales then? It's a very masculine design and would anchor that intersection well. It's a welcome departure from the usual condo designs we get. The very last thing Toronto needs is a sea of forgettable Vancouver style condo towers.

why would it be "in sales"???

The very last thing Toronto needs is a sea of forgettable Vancouver style condo towers.

I don't disagree with you, but an interesting thing to think about is that Toronto gets monotonous glass boxes because there isn't enough design regulation and planning interference, while Vancouver gets monotonous glass boxes because there's too much design regulation and too much planning interference!

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

Generally speaking, I prefer our condo designs. They're certainly getting better whereas Vancouver's have sort of hit a glass ceiling (no pun intended), because of the strict regulatory climate there.

Last edited:
Which means the agents cozy with the project developer have already reserved all the good units.

I don't disagree with you, but an interesting thing to think about is that Toronto gets monotonous glass boxes because there isn't enough design regulation and planning interference, while Vancouver gets monotonous glass boxes because there's too much design regulation and too much planning interference!

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

Generally speaking, I prefer our condo designs. They're certainly getting better whereas Vancouver's have sort of hit a glass ceiling (no pun intended), because of the strict regulatory climate there.

What makes the blander towers in Vancouver tolerable is what the planning regulations achieve--lush landscaping around the buildings (without resorting to dated towers-in-the-park planning) and preservation of views of the mountains, for instance. In Toronto, the architecture has to be better than in Vancouver for the city to have its own flavour to offer in the context of Canada. If our built form ends up looking like Vancouver without the greenery and mountain views, then we failed as a city in one particular way.

Not to mention that the landscaping and attention to detail at ground level rarely comes close to Vancouver quality in Toronto, IMO.

I heard an investor a week ago hinting at buying here. The investor was fixated on buying near Aura ... convinced Aura was some sort of goldmine. Clueless? lol

If this investor was talking about it, the VIP investor types have likely been invited to reserve a unit.

I wish my proposal would go here instead.

Older, but I don't think we've seen it from the south yet.

northyonge-planningframework (1)_Page_072.jpg

Attachments

• northyonge-planningframework (1)_Page_072.jpg
    northyonge-planningframework (1)_Page_072.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 749
That meets the street really nicely, imo.

I agree. They were going in the right direction with the design of the podium. Unfortunately the Design Review Panel shot down this proposal:

Quote:

"simplify podium elevations and reduce the number of individual façade expressions"
http://www.toronto.ca/planning/2012/agendas/pdf/drp_minutes_17jul12.pdf

Following the advice of the DRP The architect went back to the drawing board and came back a design that replaces individual façade expressions with a monolithic podium that can be seen in the second design review:
http://www.toronto.ca/planning/2012/agendas/pdf/drp_minutes_4dec.pdf
Another example of how the DRP does more harm than good and should be scrapped.

^+1 The tower needed refinement, but the redesign came out typical TO bland and boxy and is not an improvement. Granted the original design was a cheap knock off 1 Bloor but at least it had some pizzazz.

^+1 The tower needed refinement, but the redesign came out typical TO bland and boxy and is not an improvement.

The new design is boxy, but about as far from bland as you can get. Brawny, muscular, masculine, bold, perhaps. It promises to be a building on the lines of Couture, only much bigger. This design is unapologetic and a refreshing departure from the conservative minimalist designs we usually get.

This will be one of the better condo towers in the city if it gets built as depicted. It's light years ahead of anything in City Place.

460yonge by Traavis007, on Flickr

Last edited:
I liked the original podium better, too. I thought it was more appropriate for the neighbourhood.

Back