Toronto YC Condos -- Yonge at College | 198.42m | 62s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Wouldn't it be grand if all that awful window wall just peeled off the podium like caked-on makeup?

The inspiration:

3597739561_94171b5f2a_b.jpg

Something fishy is going on here...the orange section just doesn't add up with the rest, not that the rest is high end cladding but it's very much acceptable. Hell, had they just continued the black vertical stripes all around, this would have been great. Had they incorporated the same cladding design visible on the higher protruding cube (with the white boxes) and added colored boxes instead, it would have looked more than great (by TO standards:)

I didn't check the chronology of the construction but perhaps they screwed up on the podium before changing the design on the higher cube that sticks out. Otherwise the difference is absurd, except for any serious financial/budget issues.

I feel like the construction drawings and material specs for the podium were made with someone who either has no particular skill with colour coordination, or someone who didn't really care (no role in the design of the building).

After costs were cut down, they probably re-spec-ed for a spandrel colour as close to the terra-cotta as possible- and I would be surprised if they tested the spandrel glass samples against daylight at all.

I feel like the construction drawings and material specs for the podium were made with someone who either has no particular skill with colour coordination, or someone who didn't really care (no role in the design of the building).

After costs were cut down, they probably re-spec-ed for a spandrel colour as close to the terra-cotta as possible- and I would be surprised if they tested the spandrel glass samples against daylight at all.
I don't have a problem with the actual color. It could perhaps be better but it's of little importance as compared to the quality of the design and material. The bird cage gray mullions encasing the plastic look bad. Imagine if the the mullions were glossy black or say shiny silver, ran in actually straight lines and the glass was high quality semi transparent with a dark hue. God even a layperson could have designed the colored parts better...

Back