Toronto YC Condos -- Yonge at College | 198.42m | 62s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

yonge2.jpg

Perhaps the balcony cutouts are an overhead representation of what taddle creek used to look like, roaming through the old city? This needs some help from the design review panel.

460 Yonge, Karma's gonna get you.

This sort of imitation was bound to happen.

Let's have some fun, instead. If the developer seriously wants to lift something, why not Picasso (Teeple)? That would be a better type of randomness than this.

Last edited:
At least 1 Bloor makes sense to me. Aqua in Chicago has an organic look to it that looks like spilled water with a lot of randomness to it. 1 Bloor takes the idea and uses more controlled lines and a distinct and controlled pattern throughout the building - so I can respect that as it is a different feel.
This on the other hand just looks like terrible mixture of both without knowing what it wants to be.

1BE is terrible (IMO) and will end up looking nowhere near as good as Aqua Chicago. I like it's podium (in concept), which hopefully allows for pedestrian activity still.

Yep, we're seeing this all over now (another example: Shuter Street condos).

I actually like the Shuter St ones better than this one - 460 Yonge does indeed look like intestines LOL

1BE is terrible (IMO) and will end up looking nowhere near as good as Aqua Chicago. I like it's podium (in concept), which hopefully allows for pedestrian activity still.

I actually prefer One Bloor to Aqua. Aqua only really looks good from a couple very specific angles. Otherwise it looks like the building is rotting.

Another ugly as sin project from CS - the illustrious ones who brought us RoCP, DNA, etc. trash. All we need now is the public art component - the world longest neon light trimming the "wave"

AoD

Last edited:
I think some design ideas get worse at a faster rate as they get diluted down - this one looks like Old Navy trying to make an Issey Miyake. Makes one yearn for a Page + Steele box...

Any bets on who did this one? I have my guesses :p

This one belongs to the Etobicoke motel strip where the sense of good taste rules.

Are the balconies trying to represent a gastrointestinal tract?

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! If so, I think it can use some lax.

AoD

Last edited:
Probably another Graziani & Corazza design. CS has stuck with them for all of their Yonge/College developments. This project looks like a disaster in the making. They really need to start hiring quality urban context architects like HP, RAW, aA, Core, Teeple, etc.

Another ugly as sin project from CS - the illustrious ones who brought us RoCP, DNA, etc. trash. All we need now is the public art component - the world longest neon light trimming the "wave"

AoD

It is the sort of thing that causes disillusionment, on a grand scale, no? This proposal is reinforcing the opinion that some architects and developers just don't want to do some work.

It doesn't seem like they even tried, it looks to have been designed in 10 min. I'd rather have what is there right now than have it replaced by that. Maybe when a more detailed plan is released it will be better - one can hope.

I wonder if a contrasting colour scheme a-la Nautilus would help this design at all?
I guess I'd have to see it in colour to decide.

This project is insulting to 1BE, which I am confident will be spectacular. This just cheapens the design for both towers, and makes it look like Toronto went through a phase. Too bad.

Back