Toronto X The Condominium | ?m | 44s | Great Gulf | a—A

The lobby is outstanding. Possibly the most beautiful condo lobby in all of Toronto. It really captures the spirit of Mies without being slavish toward Mies. Great pics tissot and androiduk, thankfully at angles that conceal the unfortunate, outsized mechanical penthouse.

Last edited:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again now. I am so jealous of the people who get to live in this building. I hope someday that I might be able to!

Some large red beams were delivered this morning. It looks like they will be installing them on a small concrete slab that the prepped yesterday. Is this functional or is it going to be artwork?

4837786673_6014eb8815_b.jpg

Publkic art being installed today..

4617045705_ec172027a4_b.jpg

Once again, the lobby as pictured in the original sales brochure. It strikes me as somewhat austere, reminiscent of a bank.

Last edited:
ART UPDATE:

i've learned the artist is Shayne Dark http://www.shaynedark.com/ who will also have a companion work for X2. I'm curious what the first one is called - an Urban Forest?

Shayne Dark has exhibited widely both nationally & internationally, represented by Galerie Art Mûr in Montréal and the Edward Day Gallery in Toronto. He has recieved many international awards and honours, including winning an upcoming public art competition: a permanent site-specific sculpture installation for X - The Condominium public art project at Charles and Jarvis St in downtown Toronto scheduled for installation in the spring of 2010. Dark is currently working toward upcoming exhibitions at the The Robert McLaughlin Art Gallery in Oshawa, Ontario and the Tom Thompson Art Gallery in Owen Sound, Ontario.

Last edited:
No, it is called Double Vision - according to Edward Day Gallery, his Toronto dealer. See our chatter about the artist a few weeks back.

I'm sure some developers find it a pain in the neck to have to save as many trees as possible at a construction site but it really pays off when the building is finished. You've got an instant canopy, more pleasant streetscape and the building already looks like it's been there for a while.

xtrees.jpg

Last edited:
Given the recent flurry of activity, including the removal of the fence along Charles East, I suspect the building will open IMMINENTLY. Once the remaining red poles go in today, it looks like they just have to rebuild the sidewalk on Jarvis and finish the landscaping on the east side to complete the grounds.

A pleasingly confident and well-handled building. It looks great from all sorts of vantage points, and really adds some urbane charm to the difficult streetscape here. You can really sense that some real care and effort was spent to get this one right, even down to having the bits of colour and whimsy work.

Last edited:
This piece is quite striking contrasted against X however approaching X from the south the tubes seemed crooked, I'm not sure if it's an optical illusion or if the installation needs some tweaking. Two or three of the forms are not straight, I don't know if that's in the design or not.

Back