Toronto Westlake | 153.31m | 48s | Onni Group | P + S / IBI

retail at Westlake

Retail at Westlake's urban village: Metro and Shoppers Drug Mart have officially signed on. LCBO and Starbucks expected to sign later. They are working to bring on other smaller cafes and shops.

Retail at Westlake's urban village: Metro and Shoppers Drug Mart have officially signed on. LCBO and Starbucks expected to sign later. They are working to bring on other smaller cafes and shops.

How accurate would this be?

If so - yay regarding the LCBO and Starbucks.

FYI: Westlake's leasing plan:

WestlakeRetail.jpg

In other words typical condo commercial stuff.

The stores mentioned are anchors (good ones at that). Aren't all anchors typical??

Hopefully there will be some smaller interesting shops.

Hey, for this area, this is great news and great stores! There is a dearth of good stores in the area, and this will really help cement the community's feel.

I'm surprised at the vacancies at all the other condos. Nautilus is unable to sell or lease their space, ditto for Hearthstone (which was completed 3 years ago!) and Beyond the Sea only has three spots operating. Those three are your typical condo combos: pizza place, real estate office and Hasty Market.

Apparently they're asking for too much money and there is no parking on Lakeshore to service those stores. It's a shame the city refuses to move ahead with Lakeshore's widening, even though the properties have been assembled through development south of it.

Hey, for this area, this is great news and great stores! There is a dearth of good stores in the area, and this will really help cement the community's feel.

I'm surprised at the vacancies at all the other condos. Nautilus is unable to sell or lease their space, ditto for Hearthstone (which was completed 3 years ago!) and Beyond the Sea only has three spots operating. Those three are your typical condo combos: pizza place, real estate office and Hasty Market.

Apparently they're asking for too much money and there is no parking on Lakeshore to service those stores. It's a shame the city refuses to move ahead with Lakeshore's widening, even though the properties have been assembled through development south of it.

Exactly, they ask too much which is why you get the typical stores. It just gets me that people on here will say that Yonge street North of Wellesley is terrible and needs to be redeveloped. So there goes all the interesting small stores and you will get the typical condo store. Not against condos, just that same old stores. No reason for anyone to visit from outside the community that's for sure.

Considering there's no basic necessities in the area atm (I choose to ignore the strip mall on the Queensway directly north as it's only really accessible by car); this is a very welcome development.

Retail is not why this area serves as a destination for many Torontonians. It's the park system along the lake. Retail should serve mainly the people living here instead of being an additional draw.

Now where I do fault the developers, it's for not putting proper restaurant space along Marine Parade. That's the additional draw for people who come down for strolls along the miles and miles of lakeside paths here. Eden and Rocco are always full and it's very difficult (next to impossible) to get a table on a beautiful summer evening.

Ocean Club is putting in a dedicated restaurant with a massive patio fronting the promenade. Eau du Soleil is similarly contemplating putting restaurants along the lake. I'm assuming it's a similar story for the other developments on that strip.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like it could eventually become a nice restaurant strip and destination.

I think it has that potential.

There is no need for independent retail and hipster shops in this area. Retail should only reflect the needs of the immediate community. It's primarily a residential community that really prides itself on the fact that it feels like it could be 50km outside the city.

For that retail some seek, wait until Mimico gentrifies, or hipsters discover it. You'll get your Burger Priests and consignment stores soon enough.

Here's hoping once West Lake's retail commences that it will increase the demand for those shameful, unoccupied units. Perhaps that's why those prices are too high?

What retail is Waterscapes going to have on the south west corner?

Back