Toronto West Harbour City | ?m | 36s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

If that was real brick, I'd really love the accent. Sadly however, I foresee the paint chipping and wearing away over time, only to be neglected further and further.

If that was real brick, I'd really love the accent. Sadly however, I foresee the paint chipping and wearing away over time, only to be neglected further and further.

I was thinking the same thing but I would THINK the paint they use is durable. I am assuming if touch up needs to be done it could be done while the windows are cleaned twice yearly.

I am sure they wont let it look messy....

Seems like unnecessary ongoing maintenance to me, e.g. touching up paint on brick. Why not just use real brick in the first place?

Seems like unnecessary ongoing maintenance to me, e.g. touching up paint on brick. Why not just use real brick in the first place?

Would have to agree PinkLucy. Anyways hopefully its durable and doesnt need maintenance. Looks good at least...

Is it paint, or is it a stain that's sinking into the precast?

Cost saving measures.

Hopefully the cost of maintaining the paint/stain/whatever exceeds that of using brick in the first place.

October 14 2009 update

West Harbour City 1 accent brick painting/staining continues
Click to Enlarge

West Harbour City 2 on the 16th floor

Is it paint, or is it a stain that's sinking into the precast?

Good point, stain would make sense! Not familiar with this at all however so no idea what they are using....

Has anyone actually seen them applying these final touches? Perhaps an eyewitness account could set the record straight.

I haven't seen in person how it is done at WHC 1+2, but I believe a similar process to 'finish' precast brick was applied at CIRCA 1+2 project in Markham, whereby the colour is soaked into the precast (rather than just surface paint), which turned out quite nicely and very believable as 'real' brick IMO :)

Transformation (Colouring) of the Precast Brick Panels Begin ! :)
Click to Enlarge Thumbnails

Pre Paint Job

Finished Product

Ooooh! The "fauxbricks" are in three tasteful shades.

Why not put Paint By Numbers numbers on ... and the owners can slap on colours of their own choosing?

Back