Toronto West Harbour City | ?m | 36s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

I don't know that they are. I just googled "stain" and "precast". Perhaps there are other firms.

I remember, in the early '90s, seeing part of the Yonge Street facade of BCE Pace being stained a deeper red than it actually was and thinking how nice it would have been if they had been able to use a more authentic shade. I haven't seen them re-touching the colour since, so I assume it is durable and permanent once it sinks into the brick.

But the potential for DIY staining - and complex Paint by Numbers wall kits - intrigues my inner art school self.

18 October 2009 photo update

Speaking of eyesores, the gas station has gotta go.... As does the ugly (TCHC?) apartment building.

dsc00076dx.jpg

Speaking of eyesores, the gas station has gotta go.... As does the ugly (TCHC?) apartment building.

Until rebuilding about a decade or so ago, there was some nice 20s style Esso facilities here. And the apartment is actually a surprisingly clean and knowing retro-20s/30s-Corbusian statement from a moment (c1990) when one'd have least expected it. It's worn well, aesthetically at least--maybe an ideal "affordable/assisted housing" aesthetic, in fact.

Hummm!!!!.......................Where do we go for gas if you remove this station????

Where is the next close one to this one????

Building yes.

LOL we wish. However, car companies (American ones mainly) are very slow-acting, reactive, lazy corporations.

The gap between Malibu and West Harbour City makes for a big break in the streetwall... hmmm. Otherwise this stretch would be great :)

This treatment just smacks in the face of masonry appreciators everywhere. In terms of labour, the faux-brick staining seems just as labour intensive as real brick laying. I'm sure it's leveraged by lower material costs, but still, this is just embarrassing. Has our society really become so driven by bottom lines that we've got to resort to this sort of crap? I think I'd actually rather unadorned precast panels; at least it'd be honest and of its time.

This treatment just smacks in the face of masonry appreciators everywhere. In terms of labour, the faux-brick staining seems just as labour intensive as real brick laying. I'm sure it's leveraged by lower material costs, but still, this is just embarrassing. Has our society really become so driven by bottom lines that we've got to resort to this sort of crap? I think I'd actually rather unadorned precast panels; at least it'd be honest and of its time.

Please, beats out what existed there in the past.:rolleyes:

I'd say bricklaying has become effectively dead and irrelevant, IF this staining process is as time-efficient and if the precast brick panels last long amounts of time as brick generally does.

It sucks (for those of us who are nostalgic, as I'd say almost all humans naturally are), but if these precast panels do their job and look like brick, then... well... bye bye real brick in the 21st century.

Agreed....

As long as the brick looks authentic and lasts, then I don't see what the problem is. To the average eye, no one is ever go to tell the difference I think.

This treatment just smacks in the face of masonry appreciators everywhere.

I don't see a whole lot of difference between these precast panels and the commonplace precast concrete brick that has mostly replace traditional clay. (although you're seeing more clay these days) The precast panels should also outlast the brick providing the hangers and mounts don't rust away.

Back