Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

bleu:

Well, the American Society of Landscape Architecture (ASLA) just featured Sugar Beach on the cover of their Jan 2013 issue of LAM, and it was also on the cover of Paisea Issue 17
http://www.paisea.com/en/revista-paisea/017-urban-park-2/

Small, yes - mediocre? Regretably you're off your rocker. Besides, why are we having this conversation again? I know I have been through this with you eons ago.

AoD

I don't know... I went there a couple of times after the opening. Except for sitting in a chair looking at the lake, I honestly don't know what to do. I was bored.
I wish it is a bit bigger, with some cafes (not overpriced restaurants sellings burgers and fries), and a playground for volley-ball playing. I really don't thinking sitting in a chair facing some water is such an interesting thing to do. Do you?

I really don't thinking sitting in a chair facing some water is such an interesting thing to do. Do you?

I think a lot of us enjoy it. Go hang out there when they offload a lake freighter at Redpath then come back online and tell me it wasn't interesting to watch.

bleu:

kkgg7 2011-Dec-01, 09:28
Well, EBF/Sugar Beach/Sherbourne Park certainly is beautiful. Ditto the West 8 Wavedecks - and these are internationally acclaimed projects (check out the various issues of LAM and Paisea . One does have to wonder why someone who think the Harbourfront is a yawn would go there 8, 10 times though.

AoD

I do give credit for the recent development such as Sherbourne Commons. Things are being put together there for sure.
Yes, i went there for 8 or 10 times during the past 4-5 years, and most of the times to accompany a visitor. Still not liking it even a bit. If we had the quality of Chicago's waterfront, I would have gone there a lot more frequent, considering I am only 10-15 minutes walking distance away.
It is time for many to accept central waterfront design is sub-standard. We all want Chicago's waterfront, we just don't want to admit it as if doing so equals admitting Chicago as a city is superior.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/archive/index.php/t-10792-p-2.html?

Like honestly - and don't play dumb either.

AoD

Hahahaha....I can't imagine Sugar Beach without Redpath. That would be very odd.

Open Doors Toronto had Redpath on their list last year, so I expect it to be on the 2013 list, too. It's a facinating tour for anyone who hasn't been there before. I guess it's easy to dismiss it as an old industrial complex, but to me that's the appeal. Toronto does have an industrial past after all. And for some odd reason, it needs to be located on water :p. It's also not going anywhere, so those that complain about it's existence will be complaining for a long time.

I'm totally with you, sMT. I love to sit there at Sugar Beach or in the upstairs eating area of Loblaws watching the ship unload, or pull into or out of the harbour. It makes me feel like a little kid seeing magic for the first time.

DSC_1120.jpg

progress taken from Spire.

Attachments

• DSC_1120.jpg
    DSC_1120.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 655
They'll get some lights twinkling on the island, and on clear nights the lights of the Niagara Peninsula. In the evening they'll have boats passing back and forth. I'm not going to worry to much about their lack of an interesting night view.

Last edited:
I live in a sold out building with no views whatsoever. Out my window I can see a driveway for a private school and nothing else worth mentioning. I feel no sympathy for people complaining about only having lake views.

I haven't followed this thread closely. Do we know if the area between the buildings will be public? Part of the consent to build private residences right up to the waterfront was to allow porous public access to the lake. It would kind of defeat the purpose if people can't walk straight down to the water and instead have to walk either to Yonge or from Sugar Beach to get to the water's edge.

Last edited:
I haven't followed this thread closely. Do we know if the area between the buildings will be public? Part of the consent to build private residences right up to the waterfront was to allow porous public access to the lake. It would kind of defeat the purpose if people can't walk straight down to the water and instead have to walk either to Yonge or from Sugar Beach to get to the water's edge.

I would assume so! It'd be odd if the area surrounding the buildings was gated or something

I would assume so! It'd be odd if the area surrounding the buildings was gated or something

There appears to be an enclosed connection between both sets of buildings which would prevent somebody from walking through to the water. There may be an open path in the middle however.

Looking at those photos, I'm rather concerned as well. The areas beyond the walls of those buildings are supposed to be public spaces for all Torontonians, not private areas for the condo owners. There seems to be 2 barriers being built; one connecting the first 2 buildings, the other connecting the next 2 together.

Last edited:
the glass is looking nice..... i'm glad to see the glass going on.... for a while the building looked like a prison or an abandoned building.... the type
paranormal investigators go inside of durning the night with the "green light, see in the dark" footage you see on TV. ..... it had a creepy feel to it.
when its all done and the outside of the building is complete i'm sure it will look amazing.

am i wrong.... or is captain john's boat no longer their?.... can't see it in the pictures.

Back