Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

I suspect the taxpayers will end up having to pay the tab for its' disposal - all the talk of "the sale" nothwithstanding.

In any case, does anyone know who is responsible for the landscape design for the project? That's one aspect that could really do damage if not handled correctly for a site as sensitive as this.

AoD

Please, just get rid of it

+1

it is funny people get all nostalgic about such an ugly thing by the lake. It is hideous, just like RedPath. We have them only because we are stuck with them. They add nothing positive to the city or the waterfront.

I guess those people Redpath employ and the taxes they pay add nothing.

not enough to offset the drawback.

If factory employment and taxes are what matters to a city as you suggested, we should build power plants, cement factories all over downtown Toronto. A nuclear plant employs thousand of people and pay millions of tax too, why not build one at bay/Queens Quay?

We are not in 1910s and Toronto is not an industrial city any more. Thinking "what about the factory jobs" sounds nice, but is in fact backward.

Last edited:
If factory employment and taxes are what matters to a city as you suggested, we should build power plants, cement factories all over downtown Toronto.

The main argument for keeping Redpath is to create a mixed-use waterfront. Light industrial activity adds to the economic, social, and cultural diversity that makes up a healthy neighbourhood. If anything, we should be encouraging more productive activity - small scale manufacturing, urban agriculture, etc.

+1

it is funny people get all nostalgic about such an ugly thing by the lake. It is hideous, just like RedPath. We have them only because we are stuck with them. They add nothing positive to the city or the waterfront.

As much as I hate that ugly ship, I would be even happier to see that crappy sugar factory leave our waterfront. Yes, it provides jobs, but we could easily add a commercial building or two in its place, in addition to a park/parkette.

The main argument for keeping Redpath is to create a mixed-use waterfront. Light industrial activity adds to the economic, social, and cultural diversity that makes up a healthy neighbourhood. If anything, we should be encouraging more productive activity - small scale manufacturing, urban agriculture, etc.

Please tell me how redpath adds to the social and cultural diversity (keep in mind that various commercial sector jobs also range from minimum wage to high salary execs). By your definition, areas like Yorkville are failures since they contain very little industrial zoning.

Last edited:
Please tell me how redpath adds to the social and cultural diversity (keep in mind that various commercial sector jobs also range from minimum wage to high salary execs). By your definition, areas like Yorkville are failures since they contain very little industrial zoning.

If Yorkville had a small textile factory that churned out fabric and had seamstresses that also fashioned the clothes made by some of the designers in the neighbourhood, that would be amazing.

Yorkville is certainly not a failure. It does have a variety of uses and contains a healthy mix of independent and chain retail, as well as residential and commercial.

The diversity of uses in a neighbourhood keep it from getting dull. Redpath on the waterfront is a reminder of the city's past. Redpath here is urban theatre. You watch the ships come in and load out. Redpath adds to the uniqueness of place. It adds the "there" there.

Redpath is a functional business with minimal immediate negative impact on its' neighbours. If one judge worthiness on the basis of beauty, then I am afraid we should be tearing down a good chunk of what's between York and Yonge Street - at taxpayers expense.

By all means make the case for beautification - that doesn't preclude the business from staying put. Besides, what are we going to replace Redpath with? More condos? Count me as excited.

AoD

not enough to offset the drawback.

If factory employment and taxes are what matters to a city as you suggested, we should build power plants, cement factories all over downtown Toronto. A nuclear plant employs thousand of people and pay millions of tax too, why not build one at bay/Queens Quay?

We are not in 1910s and Toronto is not an industrial city any more. Thinking "what about the factory jobs" sounds nice, but is in fact backward.

Your views are quite backward. The idea that only certain types of employment and activities are acceptable is short sighted, arrogant, and obtuse. It's generally accepted that a diversified economy is the optimal route to go while relying on white collar employment for prosperity is naive. Are all Torontonians supposed to be accountants, lawyers, and sales people in your world? That's surely a recipe for disaster.

So these jobs aren't cool enough/their building offends your senses so it should be wiped from existence? Maybe some people don't like your occupation; should we get rid of that too? Btw, no one is suggesting the building of a nuclear power plant downtown so your arguments do nothing but make you look silly.

Last edited:
In any case, does anyone know who is responsible for the landscape design for the project? That's one aspect that could really do damage if not handled correctly for a site as sensitive as this.

AoD

MBTW Group is doing Pier 27 and the waterfront to the south, meshing with the West 8 plan. Not sure about the west side, but maybe them too.

Today - shooting into the sun:

VIbqdjF.jpg

Besides, what are we going to replace Redpath with? More condos? Count me as excited.

AoD

I am all against more condos on the south side of Queen's Quay - I think it is a stupid idea.
Maybe more park and entertainment space with some great sculptures? Everyone says Sugar beach and Sherbourne Commons are nice and stuff but regretably, they are both too small and mediocre.

I am all against more condos on the south side of Queen's Quay - I think it is a stupid idea.
Maybe more park and entertainment space with some great sculptures? Everyone says Sugar beach and Sherbourne Commons are nice and stuff but regretably, they are both too small and mediocre.

In what world is Sugar Beach mediocre? It's small, yes, but it has to be one of the most unique and interesting public places in the city. The patio behind the Corus building is a fantastic spot along the water right next to the beach, and urban theatre (ships docking, unloading sugar, etc.) provided by the Redpath building is fantastic and interesting to watch when relaxing on the beach itself.

bleu:

Well, the American Society of Landscape Architecture (ASLA) just featured Sugar Beach on the cover of their Jan 2013 issue of LAM, and it was also on the cover of Paisea Issue 17
http://www.paisea.com/en/revista-paisea/017-urban-park-2/

Small, yes - mediocre? Regretably you're off your rocker. Besides, why are we having this conversation again? I know I have been through this with you eons ago.

AoD

Back