Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

Well, it hasn't completely stopped, but there are some things you can't do in the coldest weather. In any case, we have a new front page story with lots of never-before-published pics of the skybridges under construction.

Yeah, I can see that. I feel kind of crazy for writing this, but in the sea of glass down here, the Toronto Star building is starting to look good.

Sometimes it takes a new perspective to appreciate what we had all along. The heaviness of 70s architecture may not be what's in vogue right now, but they give a city a sense of permanence in a way that glass can't.

It also highlights how diversity is this city's trump card. As much as I wouldn't want a sea of 70s buildings, a sea of glass towers isn't preferable either. It's diversity in materials, architecture, etc. and the juxtaposition it affords that results in the richest palette.

Last edited:
A few pictures from my iphone. As you walk east along Queens Quay from York, the difference between these condos and the Westin Harbour Castle complex are like day and night. I felt physical relief to see the sun and the water. They've really done a good job at ensuring that the waterfront is open to the street. I hope this openness is maintained as they finish off the next phases and the streetscape at the bottom of the buildings.

8472667813_1f4f9fa8d0_b.jpg

8473758168_494c3352ce_b.jpg

8472665739_b02fc43292_b.jpg

That east wall is already an eyesore. Wait until it ages. I know why it was necessary but still think it is a negative to this otherwise great project.

I haven't decided if I like the wall yet, but it's definitely not as bad as I thought it would be while standing at street level. It's actually kind of neat. Remember, it's right next to the gated entrance to the Redpath parking lot. I actually think the other side of the building is more problematic, because people will actually be walking along there toward the water. It could be unsettling to have this building hulking over you for the whole stretch.

That east wall is already an eyesore. Wait until it ages. I know why it was necessary but still think it is a negative to this otherwise great project.

That is exactly why Redpath needs a new home. The pros of moving it (getting a big eye(/nose/ear)sore and street life killer out of our central city scape) far outweigh the cons (jobs? If replaced by an office building, the number of jobs would actually grow...).

That is exactly why Redpath needs a new home. The pros of moving it (getting a big eye(/nose/ear)sore and street life killer out of our central city scape) far outweigh the cons (jobs? If replaced by an office building, the number of jobs would actually grow...).
Please god, let's not start that all over again. There are clearly divergent views on the need for employment of this kind downtown but Redpath is here and it's not moving so let's just move on.

Thanks urbandreamer. I too like the east wall. I don't think it's destined to get uglier as time goes by - although those slits could have been larger, I think.

This project photographs well from every angle, which is especially good given its prominence on the waterfront. I wonder if it will ultimately have looked better prior to the cladding having gone up. The steelwork is pretty interesting in and of itself. I hope the steel pattern is still externally evident after the glass goes up.

Back