Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

AoD - thanks for posting the updated map with Phase 2. I agree that the middle pathway between the buildings needs to be an identifiable and appealing pathway for pedestrians, but it isn't clear if that will be the case. Only access roads to/from the buildings are apparent. The differences between the newer and older map -- now there are two lanes while before there was one; now it is labeled private road (before it was Freeland street). Are there any clear renders of this area? What will the sidewalks look like through this area to the water? Even if there is public access, if it is poorly designed it will effectively prevent people from using this corridor (which may be what the want anyway).

I was down at Yonge and and the Quay today for the first time in ages, and was very surprised at the impact this development makes on the street experience. It does same very nice filling out of the area.

On another note for a moment, does anyone here know what/if anything is/will be happening on the empty lot on the north side of the Quay, directly south of the Sky Dome and to the east of that unfortunate condo (I think) that is all beige brick and offensively unimaginative?

Today:

QkhlT.jpg

JPIZC.jpg

vdJTt.jpg

Why is it strange that property owners would want private green space, and that developers would provide it for them? The beauty of generous sites like this is that architects can design buildings that float in the air and provide views of the lake below or between them - for the delight of those who stand to the north of the site and mistake Queen's Quay for the genuine waterfront promenade to the south. Toronto is famously a city by a lake, and the point at which the city meets the lake is a defining space quite different from the Quay.

One upside of private green space is that dog owners can walk about on their own grass, rather than using public spaces. However, as other owners start to see yellow spots everywhere, they will respond by demanding walls and gates and rules. The initial plan may be open, but because it is private property subject to alterations by owners, this could get less accessible fast.

I hope the retail in phase 2, facing Queen's Quay, contains a restaurant or cafe. All public waterfront areas need some food and washrooms close by. It would be nice to see some beautiful retail spaces too. Queen's Quay East could become a great retail street one day in the future.

I hope the retail in phase 2, facing Queen's Quay, contains a restaurant or cafe. All public waterfront areas need some food and washrooms close by. It would be nice to see some beautiful retail spaces too. Queen's Quay East could become a great retail street one day in the future.

I agree - especially when the QQ makeover reaches here, there would be ample space for an epic terrasse, under trees and beside the bike path, but on the far side of a building so the inevitable condo owner complaints would be mitigated ("just because I bought on the Waterfront doesn't mean I should be expected to put up with restaurant noise after 9pm!")

How many places in Toronto can you sit beside the water and have a drink? Or even in view of the water, without a major roadway in between? I can think of 5. Ridiculous for a city this size. Put the retaurants/bars on the quay, not the Quay.

Although its rare to see and fumes emanating from the Red Path stack, unless I knew for sure that the only thing being combusted was low NOx Natural Gas(and even then...), there's no way I'd live that close to it - literally close enough for the fumes to be wafting in through the bedroom window.

Last edited:

Back