Toronto Waterfront Innovation Centre | 53.03m | 11s | Waterfront Toronto | Sweeny &Co

Nice to see a streetcar in the background of the rendering..I hope that an announcement for that comes along with this complex's construction in a year or two, or has that already been announced?

The higher-res renderings are now in the dataBase file, linked at the top of the page, with detail shots zeroing in on specific components.

The streetcar will probably come quite soon, the province used it as an example of possible funding candidates from its transit fund. I'm sure some money will go towards it.

Steps perhaps inspired by the Ryerson Student Learning Centre at Yonge & Gould - which are great.

Will these steps be mared by ugly handrails that will be forced to be put in for safety by our lame building codes? Because god forbid anyone trips while negotiating these gentle sweeping stairs.

A couple more things:

The two images below weren't included in the media kit, so bear with me on the quality. They provide a bit of detail on the interior spaces of the building.

Other thing re: transit, Tory actually joked that Oliver and Duguid should have a race down the Corus slide and whoever came first gets to cut the cheque second. The Waterfront LRT is one of Tory's priorities, but since the funding isn't there, it'll be a while before we see any real action.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0594.JPG
    DSC_0594.JPG
    613.2 KB · Views: 1,087
  • DSC_0593.JPG
    DSC_0593.JPG
    659.2 KB · Views: 1,113
A couple more things:

Other thing re: transit, Tory actually joked that Oliver and Duguid should have a race down the Corus slide and whoever came first gets to cut the cheque second. The Waterfront LRT is one of Tory's priorities, but since the funding isn't there, it'll be a while before we see any real action.

It is inching closer, the Committee of Adjustment approved the variances for 45 Bay last week and their approval included a requirement for an "LRT platform" in their basement with necessary access etc.

The Diamond Schmitt design was flashier and more coherent, but I think the current design may actually suit the area more, and it seems to engage with Sugar Beach and the slip very nicely. (I do miss the emphasis on the street bridge that was the centrepiece of the DS design, though -- it appears here that the road just goes under a pretty boring skybridge between the two buildings.)

It is inching closer, the Committee of Adjustment approved the variances for 45 Bay last week and their approval included a requirement for an "LRT platform" in their basement with necessary access etc.

that is simply the provision for such a platform as 45 Bay borders the location of the future expanded Union Station streetcar platform. 45 Bay won't actually be constructing it, just ensuring it has the proper connections for its eventual construction.

An interesting feature of 45 Bay actually is that when the new platform is eventually built, there will be an entrance to Union station at Bay and Lakeshore, over 1,000 feet from the actual subway platform.

I'm excited because it's a new office development for the tech sector. The building looks cool. However, I wonder if they'll have problems with ice/snow falling on people using those stairs?

Also, the tech & tech startup sector seems pretty heavily concentrated around the King-Spadina area. Will this take off? If they got some medium sized (>100 employees) growing tech companies here maybe it would help anchor the area for tech.

In terms of transit, it's not bad, the Bay bus already goes there, but also it's only a 15 min walk from Union.

I largely like it, but is this going to be the next South Core, what with all the blue all-glass buildings?

This is a pretty significant distance away from Southcore.

Anyways, look at the full sized renderings the details are certainly encouraging - e.g. use of large amounts of point glazing system.

AoD

Last edited:
Such blatant plagiarism, it's a wonder they're not being sued by Snohetta. C'mon. Out of all the building forms public in the world, and all the new ones not yet imagined in this computer age, would it have killed the architects to not rip off one of our few new original buildings from just up the street? I find this just infuriating.

Other than that obvious bit on the south elevation, I find a lot to like here - the set-apart boldness of the forms, the bit o' colour, the displayed geometries and the robust glasswork.

Last edited:

Back