Toronto Waterfront Innovation Centre | 53.03m | 11s | Waterfront Toronto | Sweeny &Co

So @ 11.30am

Officials to announce new development project on Toronto’s waterfront
TORONTO – Government officials have scheduled a news conference Friday morning to reveal new details of a development project on Toronto’s waterfront.

The announcement is expected to be on the construction of an innovation centre which is estimated to create nearly 2,000 high-tech jobs.

Federal Finance Minister Joe Oliver, Ontario Minister of Economic Development Brad Duguid and Toronto Mayor John Tory will all be in attendance.

The advance notice of Request for Qualifications released in October 2013 states the 350,000 square feet development site will be located adjacent to the Corus Quay and George Brown College on the south side of Queens Quay East.

The press conference is scheduled for 11:30 a.m.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1815540/o...w-development-project-on-torontos-waterfront/

I can't wait for the news!! Finally we will have an 'Avenue' continuing east of Yonge along Queen's Quay. It's been such a relative mess for decades.

I love the massive steps leading to the SLC-looking building. Great place for gathering and given its location against Sugar Beach - fantastic!

I could do without the institutional 60s looking building glued against it though.

It looks like 7s + 10s.

6037_waterfront_innovation_centre_exchange_block___photo_provided_courtesy_of_menkes_1_870_450_b.jpg

6038_waterfront_innovation_centre_looking_north___photo_provided_courtesy_of_menkes_1_870_450_bo.jpg

6039_waterfront_innovation_centre_night_hero_image____photo_provided_courtesy_of_menkes_1_870_45.jpg

Renderings from Sweeny &co/Menkes

Larger renderings coming.

Attachments

• 6037_waterfront_innovation_centre_exchange_block___photo_provided_courtesy_of_menkes_1_870_450_b.jpg
    6037_waterfront_innovation_centre_exchange_block___photo_provided_courtesy_of_menkes_1_870_450_b.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 1,116
  • 6038_waterfront_innovation_centre_looking_north___photo_provided_courtesy_of_menkes_1_870_450_bo.jpg
    6038_waterfront_innovation_centre_looking_north___photo_provided_courtesy_of_menkes_1_870_450_bo.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 3,214
  • 6039_waterfront_innovation_centre_night_hero_image____photo_provided_courtesy_of_menkes_1_870_45.jpg
    6039_waterfront_innovation_centre_night_hero_image____photo_provided_courtesy_of_menkes_1_870_45.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 3,209
Last edited:
I love the massive steps leading to the SLC-looking building. Great place for gathering and given its location against Sugar Beach - fantastic!

I could do without the institutional 60s looking building glued against it though.

Exactly what I thought first time a saw it.

That looks like a whole lot of building to cantilever though. Why do they keep teasing us with streetcars in the renders?

Any chance of a combo announcement with QQE being built? With the amount of politicos showing up for the event I was hoping for a transit announcement as well.

Any chance of a combo announcement with QQE being built? With the amount of politicos showing up for the event I was hoping for a transit announcement as well.

Yeah me too - granted WT has to invite reps from all three govs given it's a tripartite organization.

AoD

I agree with Filip. The Ryerson SLC-looking section is very nice. The other wing is too much of a good thing. This area is at risk of being over designed? Please just bring some brick, texture or natural materials of some sort into the mix!!

I like how the steps sort of replicate the hill and the sitting, sunbathing and hanging out that happen there already.

Yeah me too - granted WT has to invite reps from all three govs given it's a tripartite organization.

AoD

Good point, thanks AoD.

I would hope this brings QQE closer. With the gov't funding this type of development, it would only enhance the appeal of this building for businesses if it had better transit connections.

Looks fantastic. Those steps are an example of great city building and place-making

I have no problems with the long slab. These spaces can be quite conducive to innovation, provided each group/office is spread out on each floor, forcing everyone to cross paths and help exchange ideas (MIT's Building 20 is the most famous of this example).

I don't have an issue with the slab form, only the cladding/exterior aesthetic.

The steps are great!

Back