Toronto Waterfront Innovation Centre | 53.03m | 11s | Waterfront Toronto | Sweeny &Co

Great idea. How can we shame all parties involved? This is the internet after all....we must be able to do something creative to get attention.

Publicize it for one - and if you tweet, copy some of the more well known architectural critics (e.g. Alex B) along with any criticisms. Few if anyone know about this project - and flying under the radar is the best way to avoid flak.

AoD

Should really be a lot more outrage for this.

I remember directly asking some Waterfront Toronto staff several months back about the DRP process for Waterfront buildings and they thought it has led some great innovative design. I bit my tongue.

Maybe (hopefully) it's a joke. I mean, none of us here are laughing, but the developer is probably laughing watching veins on our foreheads make themselves known.

It's a joke, right?

Please?

If this sort of rubbish is what's being built here then what exactly is the point of WT? They seem to have let lowest-common denominator free market economics take control so they may as well be disbanded.

If this sort of rubbish is what's being built here then what exactly is the point of WT? They seem to have let lowest-common denominator free market economics take control so they may as well be disbanded.

I have a feeling some rubbish proponents would love that scenario even better. The problem is ensuring the vision is being held to.

AoD

I have a feeling some rubbish proponents would love that scenario even better. The problem is ensuring the vision is being held to.

AoD

Yeah, true. Though, if it ends up that what is built is akin to what would have been built without any sort of guidance then there really is no difference.

I was really stoked and hopeful about the development of the waterfront. Corus Quay was a great early slap in the face and this "innovative" proposal just erodes my optimism even more and fuels cynicism in me.

I'd go as far as to say it's tragic. The whole area was a blank slate to create something worthy of a great city's waterfront and I absolutely love the water so I maybe take it almost as a personal affront to my sense of what is good, being presented with this sort of......well, straight rubbish.

First no beach at the Don, now this?! Eish! ;)

Disband Waterfront Toronto and you would see the second coming of Humber Bay all along the waterfront. As much as we criticize WT, at least they help (to an extent) with properly planned and not rushed development along the waterfront. But there is no doubt they could do a better job at preventing non-sense like this proposal from being built in the first place.

What I meant was that if they're not going to do their job properly then I don't see the point in their existence. They've done a lot of good work so I don't see why they'd let things like this no-go put a stain on their record.

What I meant was that if they're not going to do their job properly then I don't see the point in their existence. They've done a lot of good work so I don't see why they'd let things like this no-go put a stain on their record.

And their job is what exactly? I doubt it's to ensure we have the ninth wonder of the world on the waterfront.

And who says a "waterfront innovation centre" itself needs to be something innovative? The point is to provide a place for businesses to locate for such a purpose. Not a great building but certainly not so bad that we need to resort to such an over the top reaction.

Reactions: DSC
And who says a "waterfront innovation centre" itself needs to be something innovative? The point is to provide a place for businesses to locate for such a purpose. Not a great building but certainly not so bad that we need to resort to such an over the top reaction.

Actually in the WT RFP they eluded to it. And if they don't intend to, why have a RFP/competition and push out the renderings and sell it on such a basis?

AoD

Just wait for someone to pull out that blurb about "innovative architecture"

Why of course - and I quote the CEO at the time:

“The Waterfront Innovation Centre shows how Waterfront Toronto and committed developers like Menkes can provide creative new spaces to support the growing digital media sector, help build out a complete community and do it in a way that meets the highest standards for design and sustainability.” “The Innovation Centre is an excellent model for waterfront revitalization; after Waterfront Toronto has made the up-front investment in needed public infrastructure such as municipal services, parks and public spaces, the private sector takes on the role of building a high-speed broadband network and the customized office space that makes use of it. In this way, Waterfront Toronto is able to leverage high-quality infrastructure to deliver key economic and social benefits that enable Toronto to compete aggressively with other top tier global cities for investment, jobs and people.”
John Campbell, President and CEO, Waterfront Toronto

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe/...&CACHEID=2458aa08-deca-4472-b636-ab348ce67a0f

And also, from the project site itself:

developer selection
Menkes was chosen because their submission best responded to specific economic development objectives for the site, demonstrated a strong vision and implementation plan, including a financial plan. The premier Canadian real estate firm has a track record of delivering high-quality innovative commercial space and shares Waterfront Toronto’s desire to be a leader in sustainability and design excellence.

This surely is an example of highest standards of design.

AoD

Last edited:

Back